dvla

Alleycat

I sent my application for renewal of my licence at 70 ,submitted a full med form ect on 28thJan, I now have to on attend for an exercise ECG on the31stMarch to try to obtain my licence c1entitlement so I can drive my AUTOCRUISE STARQUEST EL that is plated at 3700kg but weighs when fully laden only 3430kgs and therefore is under 3500kgs .My licence expired at midnight on 2nd March 2015 so I currently have no proper licence to drive it,On top of that I can reduce my plated revenue weight to 3500kg but my vehicle. class changes from private HGV to private light goods and my road tax goes from £165 a year to £225.I must point out that I am a HGV former class1 +PSV driver but did suffer a heart problem 18years ago but my docs and consulant both say you would not know I had but the DVLA in their wisdom need to be sure so what was the point of paying £110 for a medical?

Because you wanted to retain your C1 category in preference to downplating your van? :-) What you doctors tells you isn't known to DVLA, which is why they want the evidence of your fitness. Even a 3,700kg van can make a mess if the driver collapses at the wheel. They are only interested in licencing people they have evidence are fit to drive, not in people who think they should be fit to drive. At least you have the possibility of plating down if you fail the medical, so it wouldn't be the end of motorhoming for you.

You can still drive while they sort it out. I assume you ticked one of the medical condition boxes and the DVLA are being ultra careful after the Glasgow incident.

I assume your doctor gave you a clean bill of health? Did you check what he wrote, (if you could read their handwriting of course)? It's a long document and they may have made some comment about your original condition.

Mine came back inside a week.

A car would be dangerous if I collapsed at the wheel, what has upset me is the time it has taken to get this sorted and it is still on going.The DVLA tell me it takes anything upto14 days to get info when received back onto their system hence the long winded procedure to get answers from them .

I understand your frustration, but the DVLA will only have known of your previous heart problem from comments made on the application form by your doctor. So, whatever he may tell you, it will be your record that has made DVLA think a stress ECG is desirable. I think you will find that the medical forms are passed to a medically qualified DVLA advisor for evaluation and decision, so this will not be a case of a junior clerk making up the rules as he goes along. As said above, even if the licence has now expired you can still drive your van at 3,700kg until DVLA decides that you can't.

Archived