New, nervous, excited and keen to learn

Kait K

Don't be taken in by the glitz and glitter  in a new van, sit back and think about things, first will you be able to drive the vehicle ie [licence ], will you be able to park it at your home, ie  will it fit in your parking space . ,will the van you choose have enough storage space for all the stuff we carry, outside stuff like barbis  awnings chairs wind breaks etc etc should in my opinion be stored in outside lockers , what about wardrobe space, is there going to be enough  space for all your clothes , overhead lockers ,are there enough for storage of  jumpers  underwear etc etc. what about the toilet, is there enough space in the compartment to actually sit on the loo, is the shower separate from the loo and is it a  reasonable space to actually use.What about the sleeping arrangements, can you comfortably use the beds, and if they are fold away types  is there enough floor space left  to get out of bed and make tea in the morning if your partner wants to stay in bed a bit longer.Is the kitchen adequate, can you reasonably  use the kitchen to  prepare and cook a meal and then wash up after .Is there enough seat belted seats and is the lounging area  going to be comfortable in use.check the gas locker, can you carry enough gas for an extended trip, think about refillable bottles or a  tank, how much fresh water can you carry.Food and  utensil storage is very important too ,make sure it is adequate, is the fridge / freezer adequate for your needs,most importantly check the PAYLOAD of the vehicle [ how much weight you can  put in the van ]lots of vans are coming out with ridiculous payload capacity,some are overweight to start with, a Motorhome is an expensive item so it is important to get it as near right first time as you will loose  a huge amount of money if you get it wrong and have to change quickly.Having said all that  it is a great leisure activity especially if used often and for extended Continental trips.Good luck.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman
Kait K - 2015-03-27 10:12 AM

Yet more good advice. Again, thanks for taking the time to respond. I'll definitely have a look at the link.

Plus don't be tempted to overstretch yourself purchase wise..............a sub 10k camper will do exactly the same job as a 50k camper ;-) ................except the 50k camper will go a little quicker but depreciate a lot quicker :D............ ........

An exhausting but fascinating day yesterday. We have discovered that:

a) We don't want an old, worn vehicle. The '03 Tracker with 55,000 miles on the clock and an undefinable aroma was a real turn off

b) We really, really like the layout of the Mohican

c) Imala 615 could be in the running

d) We like the Tracker EKS

e) Storage could be a problem in our area (local CC site has a waiting list)

f) We need to get recommendations for dealerships in Kent, Essex and Sussex, and advice on those to avoid

Before we left home we made a pact that we would not buy anything that day, even if it was absolutely wonderful. Just as well because my husband would have bought the 2005 Mohican on the spot and also fell in love with the brand new V Line owned by the manager of our local Caravan Club site!

Onwards and upwards!

If you require storage for your eventual purchase then this site here might help:

http://www.cassoa.co.uk/find-a-cassoa-site/

Of the two issues mentioned your driving licence entitlements to drive a >3500 kgs vehicle and of course the question of damp are the two most important considerations. When buying an older van dealers often use air fresheners liberally to disguise the smell of animals which can also disguise the aroma of damp.

If you are uncertain about buying an old van you would be advised to consider using the caravan club's inspection service for second hand vans the cost of which might be negotiable against any vehicle you intend to purchase. Details here:

http://www.mobilecaravanengineers.co.uk/find-an-engineer/pre-purchase-inspections-for-caravans-motorhomes/

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Hi, I think it would be worthwhile looking at some Autosleeper models too, the monocoque body is excellent and barring accidents eliminates problems with water ingress (apart possibly from around the roof lights).

I had one for a few years and found it a great vehicle.

Good luck with your search.

Thanks for the links. The pre purchase check definitely looks worth having. Re other makes, it's taken us ages to research all the possible Auto Trail offerings. I don't think I could bear to start again with another manufacturer, although I realise there are many other really good ones out there. Nope, it's Auto Trail for us for this first purchase and then we'll maybe take the plunge into other territory after a couple of years.

Please try not to 'fall in love' or treat it as a 'dream vehicle'. A M/H is an assembled number of parts attached to a chassis, unless its a basic industrial commercial van every part will be flexing when driven and when standing on a windy site. The more it flexes the more problems can occur due to joints separating, this is why many choose with caution.

As said before ... visit shows of all types and spend time looking round the parking area's, if you see a van similar to one you like then knock on the door and ask, in particular ask what they do NOT LIKE about it. If the beds are 5'6 and you are 6ft then its a waste of time looking further.

A salesman is there to sell, nothing else, he may actually hate the van he is selling but his job is to sell.

How practical are you ? Every time you employ another it will cost you !

Will

Kait K - 2015-03-29 7:02 PM

Thanks for the links. The pre purchase check definitely looks worth having. Re other makes, it's taken us ages to research all the possible Auto Trail offerings. I don't think I could bear to start again with another manufacturer, although I realise there are many other really good ones out there. Nope, it's Auto Trail for us for this first purchase and then we'll maybe take the plunge into other territory after a couple of years.

So ... without any further searching you have decided ... you say its taken you ages (weeks?)... I took 3 years, researching every aspect and hired twice. I never need to change !

I still think you are rather impatient. Do let us all know how it goes.

Best wishes Will

Will85 - 2015-03-30 11:08 AM

So ... without any further searching you have decided ... you say its taken you ages (weeks?)... I took 3 years, researching every aspect and hired twice. I never need to change !

Best wishes Will

I think you can over research. I saw one van, bought it and kept it for 7 years. I am the kind of person who can adapt to my environment. Many can't but we are all different. Some need to do a lot of research and others don't. What's right for one is not necessarily right for another.

Guest pelmetman
Mike88 - 2015-03-30 11:49 AM

Will85 - 2015-03-30 11:08 AM

Best wishes Will

I think you can over research. I saw one van, bought it and kept it for 7 years. I am the kind of person who can adapt to my environment. Many can't but we are all different. Some need to do a lot of research and others don't. What's right for one is not necessarily right for another.

Indeed ;-) .............

We were fortunate enough to inherit our camper from someone who had been through all the permutations, ie VW campers, self build and then a Coachbuilt, and seeing as he'd gotten as far as the border with Iran, I reckon he knew what a camper needed, ie to provide comfortable living space, yet still be small enough to be used on a daily basis if required B-)..........

If it works why change it? :-S ...........

We're not so easily put off Will, and the 'falling in love' bit was meant to be tongue in cheek!

Thanks to Brian Kirby for recommending 'Go Motorhoming and Caravanning'...what a fantastic tip off this book was. It arrived yesterday and I'm already about a quarter of the way in. And violet1 and Tracker, we're looking forward to seeing the Autosleeper models at Peterborough, plus others, but Auto-Trail seem a safe bet for our first purchase and we really like the way they sort of feel, if you know what I mean.

Mike 88, thanks for directing us to the cassoa website. There's a gold accredited site just five miles up the road, they have space and are £100 per year cheaper than the CC site we visited.

A few of the posts on this thread have felt more like instructions than advice but we've been bowled over by the time and care you have all taken to help us take our first steps into what we hope will become a pleasant pastime in our fading years (warning: tongue in cheek again). We will certainly go into our first purchase more informed, more wary, more prepared than we would have done without coming to this forum. Now, where's that Winnebago brochure...

If you are going to Peterborough be prepared to see hundreds of vans but don't expect any expertise or depth of knowledge from any of the sales people.

If / when you see a van you really like and before you sign up for it take a walk around the camped vans and try to find one identical and talk to the owners if you can.

Some brands have their own dedicated camping sections as do the clubs and whilst most people are friendly and happy to chat you do come across the occasional grumpy guts so don't be put off, just smile and move smartly on!

Be aware also that if it persistently precipitates the ground will be very muddy and you will need wellies!

If it's dry we may wander across to Peterborough and if you would like to meet we are happy to have a natter over a cuppa if you wish - and all without telling you what you 'should' be doing!

Tracker - 2015-03-31 10:08 PM

If you are going to Peterborough be prepared to see hundreds of vans but don't expect any expertise or depth of knowledge from any of the sales people.

If / when you see a van you really like and before you sign up for it take a walk around the camped vans and try to find one identical and talk to the owners if you can.

Some brands have their own dedicated camping sections as do the clubs and whilst most people are friendly and happy to chat you do come across the occasional grumpy guts so don't be put off, just smile and move smartly on!

Be aware also that if it persistently precipitates the ground will be very muddy and you will need wellies! Definitely won't be buying there, just looking and soaking up the motorhoming vibe.

If it's dry we may wander across to Peterborough and if you would like to meet we are happy to have a natter over a cuppa if you wish - and all without telling you what you 'should' be doing!

Oops! Haven't quite got the hang of the quote thingy. We're not intending to buy at all, just have a look around and soak up the motorhomie vibe. It would be great to meet up if you do get there but not sure how we would do that.

Kait K - 2015-03-31 10:27 PM

Oops! Haven't quite got the hang of the quote thingy. We're not intending to buy at all, just have a look around and soak up the motorhomie vibe. It would be great to meet up if you do get there but not sure how we would do that.

Send each other mobile numbers by private message is the easiest or agree to meet at a specific stand at a specific time?

Hi Kait, In Jan we took delivery of our first MH after a 10 month wait (the delay is a long story for another day). We made our decision two months after our first MH inspection. As it turned out the first one we reviewed was the model we chose. It happens to be an AT Tracker FB. Due to the long delivery time I spent long hours researching everything I could from local, UK & European MH sites. End result for us was that our initial feelings were correct. So my suggestion is go to what feels comfortable after considering what you need in a MH. Hope it works as well for you as it has for us.

Hiya weve had three autotrails and when we were at peterborough we joined the at club they were a friendly bunch and held rallies (we never went on them cos we are hermits) but the ladies and gents on the stand were very helpfull and knowledgeable if you go to the show id advise you to look them up : all the best with your new hobby pp:)

Right, I'm eating humble pie. After reading and digesting the excellent 'Go Motorhoming and Campervanning' (thanks again to Brian Kirby for recommending it) and reading many, many reviews online, we're going to Peterborough with a completely different set of priorities. If we're not to ping around the show like chickens with our heads cut off we'd really appreciate some advice on the following:

For our first few years of motorhoming we're thinking now that a 6 metre or under vehicle with a payload of somewhere around 500kg would be a good choice, preferably (but not essentially) with three or four seatbelts. Do any models come to mind that we should take a look at?

Some of the U shaped rear lounges seem to provide a huge double bed but do any come in at the 6 metre length?

We can spend £30,000 to £35,000 and, being softy southerners, would like to buy from one of the 'higher end' manufacturers. We know of Auto-Trail, Auto Sleepers, Autocruise, IH, Burstner, Hymer, Hobby but who are the others?

My husband is interested in panel van conversions but I don't think one would give us the space and comfort of a MH. I'm also not too keen on the sliding door...noisy, draughty and sometimes hard to shift. What do you think?

Thanks again for your help.

Kait K - 2015-04-09 3:23 PM

Right, I'm eating humble pie. After reading and digesting the excellent 'Go Motorhoming and Campervanning' (thanks again to Brian Kirby for recommending it) and reading many, many reviews online, we're going to Peterborough with a completely different set of priorities. If we're not to ping around the show like chickens with our heads cut off we'd really appreciate some advice on the following:

For our first few years of motorhoming we're thinking now that a 6 metre or under vehicle with a payload of somewhere around 500kg would be a good choice, preferably (but not essentially) with three or four seatbelts. Do any models come to mind that we should take a look at?

Some of the U shaped rear lounges seem to provide a huge double bed but do any come in at the 6 metre length?

We can spend £30,000 to £35,000 and, being softy southerners, would like to buy from one of the 'higher end' manufacturers. We know of Auto-Trail, Auto Sleepers, Autocruise, IH, Burstner, Hymer, Hobby but who are the others?

My husband is interested in panel van conversions but I don't think one would give us the space and comfort of a MH. I'm also not too keen on the sliding door...noisy, draughty and sometimes hard to shift. What do you think?

Thanks again for your help.

Not humble pie at all Kate, just benefiting from the experience of others, which is what books and forums are for. Discovery learning, to coin a phrase, is a very good school, but it has very high fees - especially where motorhomes are concerned! :-) But you're right, the book is an excellent source of information. Glad you found it useful.

IMO, you are about right with your target of 6 metres length with a payload of 500kg - especially if staying within a MAM of 3,500kg. The problem is that it is a very popular formula that houses many variations of layout. Layout is highly personal, so very difficult to comment upon.

Have you considered hiring a van for a week or two? You may well find, as with the book, that your perceptions change a bit after doing so. If you can find something that is the rough equivalent of what you now think would work well for you, it will either confirm your hunch, or you will review your choice. Cheaper than buying, and then finding it isn't quite what you wanted.

I wouldn't get too hung up on length, but would try to hold onto that 500kg payload. 6 metres is about the minimum for comfort, IMO, if you're going for a permanent bed. If you're happy with sofas that convert to a bed you can look a shorter vans, but remember that when the bed is back to being sofas, you have to put the bedding somewhere, which simply means you need more storage.

My personal opinion is that width is more of an issue than length. All vans are longer than most cars, so parking in marked bays is generally unlikely to work. That apart, length - within reason - doesn't make much difference to driving or pitching a van. However, width can make places that could be reached with ease in a car, or even a normal delivery van, inaccessible. Many vans are now around 2,350mm wide. Sticking to those that are 2,150mm, or less, wide does narrow the available range, but still admits enough to cause indigestion. I'm thinking particularly of those that have"Van" in their name somewhere. Good examples from Hobby (Van), Hymer (VAN), Knaus (VAN), Dethleffs (Globebus variants), Burstner (Travel Van) and Adria (Compact), should all be within your price range. Most (but not all) are based on a transverse bed set high over a full width "garage", so excellent storage below a comfortable bed, with a forward half dinette using the swivelled driver's and passenger's seats to allow dining for 4, with 4 belted travel seats. Most also offered a longer version, at about 6,750mm, with two single beds. Dethleffs, Hymer and Knaus also offer "mini A class variants".

Some hate the layout, so it is a bit of a Marmite choice, but if you find it agreeable, it has a lot to commend it in terms of sheer practicality. There are no sofas for sprawling on, but a pleasant, bright, seating area, and no problems making up beds or stowing bedding. AFAIK, all have gas lockers capable of holding 2 x 13kg gas cylinders, with inboard water tanks of about 100L capacity, so give good autonomy. We had a Hobby Van for 6 years, and took it almost everywhere from Greece to Portugal. Transit based, only 2,070mm body width x 6,050mm long, so about the same size as a Ducato based PVC. A great little truck.

Unfortunately the majority of 6 m vans (PVC or coachbuilt, with rear transverse bed & 1/2 dinette up front) will only accommodate 2 good size rear berths & a front single. So although 4 travel seats, they only have 3 berths. The only 6m coachbuilts with 4 travel seats & 4 berths that quickly come to mind are those with an overcab double bed

e,g, Adria Sport A571SP ------- http://motorhomes.autotrader.co.uk/used-motorhomes/adria/sport/2015-adria-sport-a571sp-fiat-diesel-huntingdon-mfpa-8ae192154b271057014b35f401f70e10/makemodel/make/adria?featuredListing=true

Archived