Licence required to drive motorhome over 3500kg

Hawcara

I am curious at to which licence one needs to drive a motorhome over 3500kg.

Whilst I have an Hgv licence, I wonder what happens when it expires, if I fail to take the medical. I passed my test before 1997, thus aside of the Hgv do I have 'grandfather rights' and if so, at what age does this run out?

Thank you :-D

Hawcara - 2015-03-30 8:14 PM

I am curious at to which licence one needs to drive a motorhome over 3500kg.

Whilst I have an Hgv licence, I wonder what happens when it expires, if I fail to take the medical. I passed my test before 1997, thus aside of the Hgv do I have 'grandfather rights' and if so, at what age does this run out?

Thank you :-D

You are OK up to the age of 70 but to keep your licence to drive a PHGV (over 3.5 tonne) you will have to have a medical and eyesight test and then apply to DVLA to keep your rights - if successful this will then last for 3 years and then the process starts again.

Alan

It is actually the C1 category that is relevant here for vehicles up to ( I think ) 7.5 tonne

I have to renew my bus licence ( D class ) anually. On the renewals from the age of 68, when my licence came back to me, they had also pushed back the renewal for my ordinary car licence to the age of 71, then 72 so at the age of 70 if I had not renewed my D licence I would still have had my C1 up to the age of 72 before I needed to renew with a medical. I hope that is clear.

Also, because it can take a couple of months for the new licence to be issued, it will run from that issue date, not from the date it would have expired.

Harvey

The DVLA will send you the renewal document about three months before you are 70, you don't need to ask them. If you just want a normal licence renewed you just tick the boxes and send it back. But you will lose your over 3.5T entitlement unless you also have a medical and get a doctor to fill in the appropriate form. You can use the same doctor you use for your hgv licence, which will be cheaper, as they know what is needed and do the eye test as part of the check up.

The new licence will run from when the licence is issued, not your birthday, and lasts three years.

Hi

RANT WARNING:-

AND like ALL these "ageist" rulings, The greedy Bar-stewards want to make us pensioners PAY for it!!! Regardless of the fact that you paid into the "system" for over 50 years and are still paying taxes on our Pensions!!!

RANT OVER!!!!

Pete

Archived