First time trip to Greece in our Auto-Sleepers Nuevo 2.

AJ46

Dave225 - 2015-04-09 6:05 PM

Enjoy your trip. One small caveat. Do not come out of Greece with a lot of euros. Remember Greece prints it own euros and if they do go bust, then other EU countries will be unhappy to accept them. If nothing happens then there will be no problem, but who knows these days. If you take euros in, then these are fine anywhere, and of course the Greeks will love ot have them. You can tell by the letters in the numbering on each note. Greek euro notes have the letter 'Y'

Do all countries in the Euro print there own notes/coins?

If this is so, maybe we should all keep an eye on the notes/coins we get in change while over there? Just in case we get Greek ones?

PJay

Guest JudgeMental

Brian being eminently sensible as per usual that's all. advocating carrying a fair amount of euros in reserve can hardly be considered hysteria..plain common sense more like! But you will be surprised by the lack of it about :)

incidentally

I was there 40 years when I was 22 during the panic and troubles in Cyprus, which had ramifications in Greece. we were on Crete, running out of money, old Vdub van was broke, no money to repair, all the boats for Athens ( to get coach back to the UK) full with refugees..and I can assure you getting home was not a pleasant experience!. with young children and refugee family's desperate to get out of the country...sound familiar? 8-)

Well our ferry is booked for 15th Sept from Ancona to Patras, and a bit of good luck discovered the San Marino MotoGP is a couple of days before we sail and only a 100km up the road from Ancona. Will be awesome to see Vale (Valentino Rossi) at his home GP really looking forward to that.

We will be in Greece for just over 4 weeks doing the Peloponnese & Northern Greece, hope they are not clamping down on wild camping too much as we really do not like sites. We tend to get off the main tourist track and are happy walking in the hills, should be able to cycle up them this year, just about to a few grand on some decent e-bikes.

I thought I had got all the info I may need and then my wife just popped the question about buying food etc in Greece. I remember from my days of sailing in Greece that there was always the little shops at places where we had stopped, but don't remember seeing supermarkets. Maybe a daft question, but do they have Lidl's in Greece?

Guest JudgeMental
AJ46 - 2015-04-11 3:07 PM

I now see what you mean!!

Really? I'm down in Spain and bothered to search for you on my phone and not so much as by or leave....

You were right CATTWG. We had an email advising that the ferry we were booked on for 3rd of May has been cancelled and we now have to get another ferry leaving Venice 2nd of May. I asked if I could stay in the port for the night before boarding and was told no!! But I could stay in the Car Park opposite the check in booth of the Anek Line which is outside the port. Has anyone used this facility?

Archived