Austrian Vignette

Thai Bry

Apologies if this subject has been covered before.
Just back from a trip to Obergurgl, and looking at the passing scenery in the minibus, i thought i would like to tour the area later in the year in our motorhome.
I can find lots on the Vignette rules for vehicles up to 3.5tonnes,but nothing for a motorhome which is 4.2 tonnes.
I have trawled the archives on here and all seem to be based on vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes
Can anyone help and advise please?
Many thanks

Guest peter
Don't go in the high season as sites are very expensive in some areas. We paid 40 Euros a night at Dubriach on Milstattersea in the south in July.

...as a follow-up, it is entirely possible to visit Austria without a Vignette or Go-Box (though, if not over 3.5t the former is cheap enough not to be a deterrent), as one or the other, depending on weight, is only required for Autobahn and/or Expressway use.

The Autobahns are well signposted, and can generally be avoided, albeit at the cost of journey-time and minor inconvenience. (You'll see a bit more of the attractive towns/villages though - or possibly have an "exciting" scenic journey over one of the older mountain passes).

Expressways (of which there are not many) can be a little more confusing, as they are not always clearly signed until you are on top of them, but these too can be avoided with care.

Off the above, there is a proliferation of 3.5t limit signs. Many of these (those with a weight limit and a pictogram of a truck) are aimed at real HGVs, and can be legally ignored in a motorhome (legal clarification has been sought from, and given by, the Austrian Authorities). Any weight limit without such an accompanying pictogram is absolute, however, and should be obeyed.

Edit for typo

• 1 month later...

Hi all

I am being lazy in the hope that someone has a route listed!

My Mabel (Benimar 720CCX) is 3850 gross and we are currently in Croatia near Zadar and loving it. We hope to go down to Dubrovnik and slowly work our way back up

On our return trip in mid late June we want to move up towards Berchtesgarten in Germany.

I do not want to bother with a Go-Box.

Does anyone have a route listing across Austria using non motorways/expressways say from Bled towards Salzburg?

I have done the route from Rechsenpass to Fussen in the past, but this is a bit too far West for what we want.

Many thanks

Jeremy

I asked the Austrian tourist office the same question last September when we were heading from Germany to Slovenia/ Croatia.

In the end we went South from Bled to Trieste and ended up coming back via Reschenpass

This was the reply from The Austrian Tourist office who were very helpful. Note the comment on no direct route.

Obviously this describes the southbound leg so you will have to follow it through in reverse !!

Cheers

Martin

".a nice route that doesn’t require the purchase of a Go Box is the entering Austria near Kufstein.

When coming fom the A 93 in Germany, make sure to exit the highway at Kiefersfelden and then drive to Kufstein in Austria on the federal road.

Then head on to Kitzbühel and drive over Pass Thurn to Mittersill. Then you will need to drive through the Felbertauern Tunnel to Lienz. The special toll for this tunnel is 10 € for motorhomes: http://www.felbertauernstrasse.at/en/tickets-tariffs/tariffs#2jtabs-1-3-motorhomes

From Lienz drive on to Oberdrauburg and Hermagor, before crossing into Italy near Arnoldstein (make sure not to go onto the highway here!)

From Tarvis in Italy you can drive towards Kranjska Gora in Slovenia.

Unfortunately, you cannot use a direct road connection between Austria and Slovenia, because you would either need to go over the highway (so a Go Box would be required) or use an alpine pass which is not suitable for a motorhome.

You can find Stellplätze throughout Austria according to region on the following website: www.campingclub.at/campingplaetze/stellplaetze_oesterreich

Best regards,

Christina Zarnhofer

Holiday Service

Austrian National Tourist Office

UK: T 0845 101 18 18, F 0845 101 18 19

holiday@austria.info

If you are coming from bled then the first thing you meet will be the mountain tunnel which you cannot avoid. We bought the go box but we get off autoroute as quick as possible. Maybe bite the bullet and buy one but cash it in at first services you come to at German Austrian border but Austrians don't make it easy.we have done that route and it's possible to follow ajoining roads all the way but be prepared to twist and turn following rivers and going up and down hills. We avoided villach and salzburg but have gone through salzburg but it takes ages.came through via Brenner Pass yesterday no problem. In italy now for first time

Hi Jeremy.

Found it and it was 6yr ago not 5. Now I use maps only, not sat nav so can't give any coordinates. No motorways or tunnels involved so here goes and it's a bit long winded.

Take the Bled to Lesce rd, No 209 just to the north of Lesce you hit a big traffic Island just before the Motorway, turn left there which is the road to Hrusica No 452. (there's a Lidl or Aldi on the left just before you hit the town) Carry on through the town but the road No changes at the other side to 201 for some reason. Just keep on this road until you reach Podkoren, by this time you will have picked up the Austrian (Osterreich) sign up by then.

Don't go through the Karawanken Tunnel, this is a rail ferry tunnel for vehicles and I think it puts you on too the Austrian Motorway system at the other side.

You will now enter Austria and the road number changes to the 109 and signed for Villach. From Villach you pick up the Rd No 100 to Spittal an der Drau. When you get there you need to pick up the Rd No 99 to Rennweg am Katschberg and on to Sankt Michael im Lungau.

Road 99 will take you right through to north part of Bischofshofen where you will join the 159 signed Salzburg. If you are into sports and shopping then Bischofshofen is a good place to go.

Carry on towards Salzburg on the 159 until you come to the village of Anif where you then turn left on to the 160. This is the road from Salzburg to Berchtesgaden.

Jeremy, none of the above puts you on a motorway or expressway (well it didn't 6yr ago) or weight limits and apart from some places on the Slovenian side is very picturesque except for one part when you pass a huge steel works on the left. The main thing to remember is not to go through that tunnel, I'm pretty sure it puts you onto the Austrian motorway system. Maybe RH can confirm that.

Peter may have been able to, but he's been Bahnhofed the site. :D

If your not sure about anything, pm me.

Dave

PS. Chris which tunnel do you mean, coming from Bled to the Austrian border there is only one and that is the carferry one. You avoid that by using the 201 to the Austrian border, when over the border it changes to the Austrian Rd number which is the 109 to Villach.

Dave (Nowtelse...)

That route looks perfect to me and I have recorded it on Google maps here:-

https://goo.gl/maps/E65cu

I will make a list of SatNav co-ordinates from which to follow the route & I'll post them on here.

My wife Angela who navigates with the Sat Nav will be very pleased - I sat on her in a bull ring in Alès so we are using my back up one whose maps are 2008. (I sat on the Sat Nav and squished it! .... and it's a back up Sat Nav, not back up wife.....Phew...!)

Once again thanks for the info everyone.

Cheers

Jeremy

Jeremy, an apology is due. The Kawankel tunnel is not a car ferry tunnel, it's just an ordinary toll motorway tunnel, (I must have been thinking of somewhere else) but to still avoid tolls in Slovenia and on the Austrian side you will still need to follow my directions. There's no problem with them and they're a piece of cake.

If you are going to see The Eagles Nest at Berchtesgaden then it will be on your left when approaching the town. You can only take your van part way up to it. There is a big car park and you have to leave it and pay at the kiosk to go up to it. You go by bus (3 in convoy) to a lay by about half way up then have to wait a few minutes until a 3 bus convoy comes down and passe's you, I won't say anything else or it might spoil it for you only that I recommend it and I will be there myself with my son in the TR sometime on the 18th June.

There's a big camp site nearby at Lake Koenigssee if it's of interest, Camping Grafenlehen but i've never used it.

Dave

nowtelse2do - 2015-06-02 7:42 PM

Jeremy, an apology is due. The Kawankel tunnel is not a car ferry tunnel, it's just an ordinary toll motorway tunnel, (I must have been thinking of somewhere else) but to still avoid tolls in Slovenia and on the Austrian side you will still need to follow my directions. There's no problem with them and they're a piece of cake.

If you are going to see The Eagles Nest at Berchtesgaden then it will be on your left when approaching the town. You can only take your van part way up to it. There is a big car park and you have to leave it and pay at the kiosk to go up to it. You go by bus (3 in convoy) to a lay by about half way up then have to wait a few minutes until a 3 bus convoy comes down and passe's you, I won't say anything else or it might spoil it for you only that I recommend it and I will be there myself with my son in the TR sometime on the 18th June.

There's a big camp site nearby at Lake Koenigssee if it's of interest, Camping Grafenlehen but i've never used it.

Dave

No apology either due or required!

I've been to The Eagles nest in 2013 with my mates, but will visit again this year with my wife Angela. In 2013 we stayed at Allweglehen site (ACSI) which was fine. We had fantastic weather then as pic shows. We then went to Zugspitz at Garmisch Partenkirchen which again was worth seeing -. I'll probably repaeat that with angela as well. Lovely area, great sites, great people.

Jeremy

1053037811_eaglesnest.jpg.2a48a088cbaa66dc814d3457367c8660.jpg

Archived