Drive Away Awning or Canopy?

MagHal

Hi,

Probably a silly question. Off to Spain for 4 weeks thru France in June/July and wondered whether it is worth lugging our drive-away awning. We never drive away, just pitch and rely on the motorbike. I'm trying to cut down on load and storage space so wondered if the canopy awning for shade is best option. Only 2 of us and no need to store pushbikes and the like. Can anyone share their view/experience? Thanks Hal

Guest Had Enough

As we get older if we find a super site in a nice area we can now happily stay for a week or two, whereas in the past we've spent most of our time exploring different countries and moving every two or three days.

We've decided that the best option is a free-standing tent, which we can erect anywhere on the pitch and still use our wind-out sun canopy as well if necessary.

I don't like the idea of awnings which attach to the motorhome as it's a pain if you need to move the 'van.

We have two bikes and we now also have a Honda scooter to gives us more exploring flexibility so we've bought one of these http://goo.gl/bDxRAO after viewing a few on a site in Portugal. It's very quick to erect, which was a big selling point.

As well as storage for the bikes and scooter we can also use it to dine in if the wind is blowing, as even in sunshine it gets chilly in February or March if there's a breeze.

Guest peter

Good choice HE, we've also bought one, but it's the smaller screen dome. http://www.khyam.co.uk/detail.asp?p=341&product=Screendome Quick Erect Tent / Shelter

We used to use one that fixed to the roll out awning frame, but we couldn't use the van at all.

We want to see more of where we are pitched and can take the dog as well if we use the van.

Being down in Spain this year decided us. Especially as I found one that someone who was selling his van had dumped in the skip. It was a bit faded so we decided to buy a new one.

Guest pelmetman

June/July in Spain you won't need an awning, but a sun shade will be essential ......

We winter in Spain and use a traditional drive away type awning, but in the main we tend to erect it away from the camper, as it gets very windy at times, our old style heavy duty awning appears to cope better than many of these thin flappy type ;-) ...........

Mag&Hal - 2015-04-07 9:58 PM

Hi,

Probably a silly question. Off to Spain for 4 weeks thru France in June/July and wondered whether it is worth lugging our drive-away awning. We never drive away, just pitch and rely on the motorbike. I'm trying to cut down on load and storage space so wondered if the canopy awning for shade is best option. Only 2 of us and no need to store pushbikes and the like. Can anyone share their view/experience? Thanks Hal

Hi Hal...

We've no experience of camping in Spain but by the sounds of it, as you don't really "need" the awning? (storage for bikes/scooter/ kids to sleep in etc), so I would probably just stick with the *canopy..

*Is it a wind-out(Fiamma or Omnistor) or is it a separate "tarp" canopy?

..if it's the former, then for additional shade(privacy?), I'd maybe look at something like these:

http://www.windblockers.net/

Thank you fellow motor-homers for your insightful replies.

I'm much in favour of leaving the drive away behind this summer to save storage space and load. and just wind out the Fiamma when we need some shade.

Happy travelling.

Hal

Archived