Wind-out Awnings - Are they worth it?

globebuster

Had Enough - 2015-04-10 1:39 PM

There is one other consideration. I would never buy a used motorhome that didn't have an awning and retro-fitting one to my current 'van for example would be a huge problem.

Why, when you order a new Hymer with an Awning, who fits the Awning? - The dealer. :D

Guest Had Enough
rupert123 - 2015-04-10 2:36 PM

No hardly ever use it, as for sitting under it in the rain or cooking under it, why would you? If its raining go inside and can see no reason at all to cook outside unless you are one of these burn sausages on a barbi type blokes. Never yet seen a women cooking on a barbecue, funny that, perhaps they have more sense, although have seen quite a few watching the bloke do his once a year thing with a certain amount of resignation.

It's not about dining in the rain under an awning! Imagine that it's summer and you're pitched up on a site with the dining table and chairs out. Your bikes are there as well possibly. If it starts to pour down I just move them under our awning, where they're kept dry.

What do you do in such circumstances?

Ps And we love a barbecue occasionally as well!

Guest Had Enough
globebuster - 2015-04-10 3:39 PM

What proof do you have that being bereft of an awning would reduce your potential customer base when selling? Let alone extensively!

Why would a private buyer be any different to a dealer?

Another sweeping statement, not well thought out....and based on your personal view I would imagine.

People primarily buy a van based on layout and condition - now if you'd said that having an awning might be perceived as a bonus to a potential customer, that would be different.

There are many add-ons that prospective buyers would see as 'icing on the cake' - but the same could be said of bike racks, solar panels, external BBQ point.........

It's not likely that anyone on this forum will be lining up customers from the other side of the channel.

Well, like many views on this forum it's an opinion based on personal experience. I wouldn't buy a used 'van that didn't have an awning, as we want one. I don't want to have one retro fitted by a dealer who may have to remove some of the fittings.

So when we looked for a used Hymer it had to have certain things already in place, such as an awning and a satellite TV. There were loads to choose from, so any that didn't have these things (and most had them by the way as it happens) were discarded.

If we'd been looking for a rare 'van and the only one available didn't have an awning we may have been persuaded, but only after checking how non-disruptive it was to fit one, but when we were looking at importing, for most of the popular Hymers we had a choice, and we simply didn't consider one without an awning and TV, as there were so many to choose from that had both.

A car dealer will tell you that it's more difficult to sell cars that are lacking in some features, such as air con or an auto gear box on some top end models. I can't see how a motorhome will be any different.

The more features it has the greater the customer base, especially when there are a few to choose from.

I think that's a pretty well thought out position.

Well, at least you now concede it is a personal opinion.

So not that we'll thought through then - as a blanket statement neither based on fact or evidence.

I fully understand that a well specified vehicle will always attract a quicker sale and probably at a premium price - however the choice of a particular motorhome will never be as abundant as a mass produced car.

I guess it's your dictatorial way of phrasing a personal opinion that might lead to making baseless statements - and the fact that by nature you do seem quite an opinionated person.

Still, I I'd hate this thread to become wind-up rather than wind-out awnings!!

Guest Had Enough
globebuster - 2015-04-10 7:20 PM

Still, I I'd hate this thread to become wind-up rather than wind-out awnings!!

You do seem to be doing your best to make it so. My opinion was based on experience and thought. Like most opinions on here, some of which may be more accurate than others. It's a pity though that you couldn't simply challenge my view without resorting to the personal insults.

What in my opinion is clear however is that a motorhome with an awning, and say, an oven, will be more attractive to the buyer who considers such things essential. Someone may well like a particular 'van but if there are a few to select from they may be more likely to choose the one that has the spec that suits their needs, and my experience of people who use sites is that awnings are very popular. And that's based on many years of using sites all over Europe.

And that is exactly what happened with me. I discounted any 'van without an awning and some other popular features. There were plenty available so why bother buying one that I'd have to spend ages getting things retro-fitted?

But if I wasn't too bothered about an awning I wouldn't not buy a a particular 'van that I liked just because it had one!

So my opinion is still the same, a van with an awning will have a larger customer base.

It is something that interests me as we are looking to get a MH and whether to get the awning installed, was an issue. I have also watched those MH's on site winding the awning in each night and yes, it does not take long, but they also have to clean up everything underneath it, or of course it could all get wet. With my caravan we have a panoramic awning which when tied down with storm guides, is pretty resilient in most storms. I admit some nights I do lie awake wondering if it will still be there in the morning, but usually i am pleasantly surprised. It makes more flapping noises than actually lifting off. It of course has an internal frame that wind outs do not have, so are more rigid.

I have also noted that some tend to go for the gazebo idea, which has some merit. Can be erected quite easily and removed if things get too bad. Can also be moved where you like. I do admit one year we bought a cheapie from a supermarket, it lasted about 1 day before getting dumped as the poles were plastic, and the thing was bluntly useless. However, the more upmarket models with aluminum poles etc seem to work well.

Whether having a wind out is a selling point or not, I think is questionable. If the van is desirable anyway, then a new owner can easily get one fitted, if they so wish, and I also accept the qweight factor is an issue. But so is a gazebo.

Had Enough - 2015-04-10 5:48 PM

rupert123 - 2015-04-10 2:36 PM

No hardly ever use it, as for sitting under it in the rain or cooking under it, why would you? If its raining go inside and can see no reason at all to cook outside unless you are one of these burn sausages on a barbi type blokes. Never yet seen a women cooking on a barbecue, funny that, perhaps they have more sense, although have seen quite a few watching the bloke do his once a year thing with a certain amount of resignation.

It's not about dining in the rain under an awning! Imagine that it's summer and you're pitched up on a site with the dining table and chairs out. Your bikes are there as well possibly. If it starts to pour down I just move them under our awning, where they're kept dry.

What do you do in such circumstances?

Ps And we love a barbecue occasionally as well!

Well we do not carry bikes but have a Honda scooter and getting wet does not bother it. Do eat outside in the south of France if weather is ok and midges are not about, however if it looked remotely like rain no chance.

lennyhb - 2015-04-10 5:12 PM

Had Enough - 2015-04-10 1:39 PM

There is one other consideration. I would never buy a used motorhome that didn't have an awning and retro-fitting one to my current 'van for example would be a huge problem.

Why, when you order a new Hymer with an Awning, who fits the Awning? - The dealer. :D

I'm not so sure, Lenny. I understand that if you order an awning as an option on a new Hymer it is factory fitted. That was also the case on our previous Hobby, as for various reasons the van came direct from the factory to our house without going to a dealer (long story! :-)).

Our last Hymer we ordered an Awning, SOG & bike rack, all arrived at the dealers lying in the van for them to fit, also part of the standard fit on the van was an Oyster sat dish with surround sound and sub woofer & TV the dealer had to fit the TV and wire everything up (which I did correctly afterwards and sent them a diagram so they could sort out their other customers).

May have been because it was a special edition model, had a SOG on current van and that was factory fitter.

I was really pointing out that it's not hard to retrofit an awning.

globebuster - 2015-04-10 3:39 PM

What proof do you have that being bereft of an awning would reduce your potential customer base when selling? Let alone extensively!

Why would a private buyer be any different to a dealer?

Another sweeping statement, not well thought out....and based on your personal view I would imagine.

People primarily buy a van based on layout and condition - now if you'd said that having an awning might be perceived as a bonus to a potential customer, that would be different.

There are many add-ons that prospective buyers would see as 'icing on the cake' - but the same could be said of bike racks, solar panels, external BBQ point.........

It's not likely that anyone on this forum will be lining up customers from the other side of the channel.

Disagree with you, whenever we have looked for a Second hand Motohome, we always check that a Roll out is fitted, (and get them to deploy it ,to make sure it works and is not damaged) as to get one fitted is a Tidy sum to add to the purchase cost. So I agree, NOT having one restricts potential purchasers, US for a start. Without one,I'd want a £1000 pounds off of the asking price, to pay for one to be fitted.

And of course it's a personal opinion,thats what we ALL give on here, no matter how 'Universal' we might think we are.

Once Deployed, My Roll-Out stays like that, unless a Tornado is predicted, day and night, Only take it in if the Mrs complains that the flapping is keeping her awake. The Storm straps make it as safe as any Caravan Awning.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p40872

Ray

Having thought about this for my motorhome many times i have to concede that unless you are going to say Spain in the winter and staying on site for several weeks at a time, a good quality pop up gazebo is an excellent easy to carry and a whole lot less expensive option.

Bought a 4m one from Aldi for £50 and its brilliant. Peg it down, tie it down and take it down in high winds is my best advice but its fab, last year at St cyprien as the sun moved round the van so did our gazebo while all the wind out awnings stayed where they were we could choose and pick where we wanted. The only down side is that its in the garage, you get strange looks when setting up, and you need to be careful of the height compared to your door height or you will keep scuffing your head on entry of the gazebo from the motorhome.

Had it for 5 years and wouldn't go without it, have seriously considered a wind out but yes have seen they bend, sag and collapse if a sudden unexpected gust comes along, as on many tarmac aires there is no way to peg it but with a gazebo you can tie it and using a water container with 10 litres in there is enough weight to stop it taking off. just my experience though for what its worth , enjoy your motor homing!

Archived