Banned from RAF Cosford Air show

Guest Joe90

Guest Joe90

I eventually had a reply from the shows organisers, and despite always allowing Motorhomes in the past they have decided that parking on grass is no longer appropriate.

Considering there are ample hardstanding areas and where we've parked before, and this year it is a pre-bookable event perhaps they could have provided some limited parking selling tickets for Motorhomes on a first come first served basis, this was what I enquired about in a follow up email, I received no response . customer service at its best.

Billggski - 2015-05-04 5:13 PM

Welcome g-Andy, from the tone of your first message I think you'll fit in well with this forum.

!

I reckon that G-AMPY , being the reg of a classic old Dakota , could imply that our new member knows a bit about air shows.

;-)

Guest Joe90
malc d - 2015-05-04 7:33 PM

Welcome g-Andy, from the tone of your first message I think you'll fit in well with this forum.

!

I reckon that G-AMPY , being the reg of a classic old Dakota , could imply that our new member knows a bit about air shows.

;-)

But he doesn't know much about Cosford, it's open every day to the public, not just for a one off air show.

And it's free, I take the grandsons about once a month.

The " museum of the Cold War" is stunning. V- bombers, atom bombs, Greenham Common protest, MAD display, space race, and of course an English Electric Lightning in a vertical ascent.

Plus TSR-2, Spitfire, Hurricane, Mustang, Mosquito...... Where's my Observer's book of British Aircraft now?

Joe90 - 2015-05-04 7:53 PM

malc d - 2015-05-04 7:33 PM

!

;-)

But he doesn't know much about Cosford, it's open every day to the public, not just for a one off air show.

... but the subject is parking at the " one off air show" not visiting the museum.

I doubt if they get air show crowds every day.

;-)

Guest Joe90

Well I'm not sure what point you are making, the fact remains that an event previously attended by people in a certain mode of transport are suddenly no longer able to attend using the same mode of transport, and that the previous poster alluded to the idea it may be to do with permissions from the MOD, it's nothing of the sort, and that's the point I was making being able to visit by Motorhomes previously without restrictions whenever they were open to the public. (!)

Perhaps if an ex RAF bloke who happened to be disabled and with his only vehicle an adapted camper van being refused attendance simply because he was not in a car, would make a good story in the Shropshire Star.

G-AMPY - 2015-05-04 4:52 PM

Hi All, been lurking on here for a while but had to pop up and reply to this...

Have any of you considered their might be a good reason why motorhomes/campervans are banned from the airshow? Cosford is an activie military airfield, so I assume they must seek permission from the MOD to have public on site? Having seen the effects of motorhomes/large vehicles on wet grass at other shows I assume that is a fair reason for the policy, as airfields must have perfectly flat grass for aircraft to fly. Also, being an active military base imagine there must be strict security implications too?

"Discrimination" is a very strong word to use, maybe the vehicle policy was forced on the airshow by the MOD who own the land? I think it's unfair to declare war on a charity event which raises millions of pounds for good causes.

Park your motorhome somewhere else and cycle/get to the rain to the show and enjoy the planes!

Just my 2p worth! B-)

It`s a Good argument that falls down on the Disability discrimination Front.

As I pointed out in my as yet unreplied to E-Mail to the organiser, Some disabled need immediate access to facilities, and have dietary need not fulfilled by the largely "Burger and Chips" catering found at these events. Those same people make greater use of their own Camper unit, to enable them to even contemplate attendance. When you have only got half a bowel and need to eat in small portions throughout the day, gluten free as well. there IS an issue.

Pete

A bit of research on the Cosford website indicates the rule is due to damage to the grass by large vehicles. Obviously this is weather related and complicated by the decision to only allow advance booking.

There would be chaos at the entrance as motorcaravan owners were told ' Sorry for you rain has stopped play and do you want cashback'.

George Collings - 2015-05-05 9:01 AM

A bit of research on the Cosford website indicates the rule is due to damage to the grass by large vehicles. Obviously this is weather related and complicated by the decision to only allow advance booking.

There would be chaos at the entrance as motorcaravan owners were told ' Sorry for you rain has stopped play and do you want cashback'.

It sounds like they haven't thought this through very well because if they allow anyone to book in advance but they start turning large vehicles away (because of the risk of them bogging down) without also organising very efficient facilities to give refunds on the spot, the entrances will presumbly get blocked up with folk in large vehicles having arguments about getting their money back.

They don't sound very professional at doing this and they could at least explain themselves better on the website.

Duncan MMM - 2015-05-05 10:42 AM

When I spoke to them, they had no plans on what to do at all. Everything was going to be done at the gate on an ad hoc basis. It's a recipe for traffic chaos.

It doesn't sound good, does it....it's neither one thing nor the other..and at the very least, this "large vehicle" exclusion should be clearly stated on the ticket buying page. :-S

Although, I thought someone up thread said this wasn't the first year that they've had this rule?..so that being the case, how have they been getting on since it was brought in?.. maybe the weather has been kind?... or maybe they've been lucky with "..public and steward common sense" ?... :-S

Billggski - 2015-05-05 5:20 PM

By the way, Cosford is staffed by volunteers who do it without pay, so please don't get too uppity with them.

I would suspect that the vast majority would agree with you. I Marshall events, on grass, in the wet!. and there are a lot of stupid people out there and a fair few have Motor homes and Caravans!!. SOME you cannot tell anything, and when they get bogged in due to their own idiocy, they blame??? YOU!!.

In the past I have put 9t of R-V on grass, and got away OK after a wet weekend, but you have to place it carefully, and put it on Track mat or similar. (bread trays!!!) with a (hopefully) down hill run to the nearest "hard" road!! I Always "Walk" the area first!.

I queried the ruling from a disabled person standpoint, and to be fair I probably would not go. Unless I was absolutely sure I could get off Grass, with minimal damage.

Pete

Archived