Almost a motor cyclist!

Guest Had Enough

Rayjsj - 2015-04-17 2:27 PM

pelmetman - 2015-04-16 4:36 PM

I recall a conversation with a chap in France who had a trike, those ones with 2 wheels in front ;-) ....... and he reckoned you could ride one of those and carry a pillion passenger on a car license? :-S ........

There was quite a lot controversay when I used to do Motorcycle Sidecar Racing, a chap called Owen Greenwood rolled out a 'Mini Cooper 998s' chassis, with 2 wheels very close together at the back, very fast, and quite stable it was too, (and the passenger hardly had to do any 'work' at all !) He won many races....for the first season. But as it was clearly stretching the rules beyond the limit, They banned it.

Everyone Laughs at 3 Wheelers, thinking of 'Del Boys' Reliant Van, very,very Unstable but mount 2 driven wheels at the FRONT, and the single wheel at the back, and you have a very stable platform. AKA the Old Morgan 3 Wheelers....... Wonder if I could tow one behind my Motorhome on an A-Frame....in Spain ?? oops. Ray

Anyone remember the 'Twinny Moke' ? with 2 cooper s engines, one diving the front subframe, and another driving the Back. Boy did it go ! across almost any terrain.

Yes Ray the thing was fast but it stopped in the corners we all got together to have it banned because it was a danger to passengers (monkeys) in left handers. I was a monkey on the side and you didn't want to arrive at the esses anywhere behind it. John *-)

Rayjsj - 2015-04-17 2:27 PM

Everyone Laughs at 3 Wheelers, thinking of 'Del Boys' Reliant Van, very,very Unstable but mount 2 driven wheels at the FRONT, and the single wheel at the back, and you have a very stable platform. AKA the Old Morgan 3 Wheelers.......

The classic JAP engined Morgan three wheeler drives throu the single rear wheel, in standard form they have poor handling, poor brakes, and generally fall to bits as they are so badly designed and built. Even by the club they are reconised as being a bodgers car.

1867678963_HeresoneIdidearlier.jpg.b3cf591686a981d64b886c1b1fa4c12a.jpg

• 8 months later...
davidmac - 2015-12-22 9:06 PM

Hi passed my mod 2 last Friday at the age of 68 3/4on an ANF125 that I bought 3 months ago. The wife has said I can buy her a helmet for Christmas. The tricky bit will be getting her on the back of the bike to use it!!!!!

Regards David

Well done young man.

;-)

I just sold my scooter rack as I never used it.

A big garage will take instead and is more secure.

The warning about clothing is apt, it is tempting to drive around in shorts and tee shirt in warm weather.

One year in Greece I hired a motorbike and, while I was out, I saw some diesel on the road.

I tried to wave down a gaggle of scooter riders in shorts with their girlfriends in bikinis, who ignored me, slid down in formation, and for the rest of the holiday were covered in purple iodine painted onto their bodies at the hospital.

For my two pennyworth I did my Motorcycle test on a bicycle fitted with a Cyclemaster Wheel.

Result ... FAILED. With the emergency stop the examiner walked out in front of me and I nearly ran into him. OK the next time

The test was just a ride around the block with no theory, only a few questions about road surfaces, and as a cyclist we were more than familiar with that.

In those days having passed on a "Bicycle" one could walk straight into a motorcycle shop and buy the biggest bike available and of course many did just that.

pepe63 - 2015-04-16 1:15 PM

Well done you.... ;-)

..I've only ever always ridden "modern" bikes(-750 race reps and 1000cc/1200cc sports tourers etc),although I currently only have a 650 single CCM, the performance of which is a bit yesteryear.

At one time I toyed with "trailering" it behind one of our vans but I didn't happen though, as we were never away long enough to warrant taking it..

One issue/concern to bear in mind, is decent safety clothing....

Do "holidaying" MHers, bother with full safety gear?...boots, trousers, jackets, gloves etc? (I assume helmets are compulsory on the Continent?)

I can imagine that it'd be the last thing anyone would really want to be putting on whilst away under the blazing med sun...but I can also remember what a mess ,even a slow speed tumble can make of someone..!?

..and I doubt that many of us bounce (or heal!), quite a well as we used to...! ... (lol)

Worth bearing in mind...

To answer your question-YES! Leather slides-skin doesn't!

Never seen a cow with Gravel rash!

Mike

I can see the reasoning behind wearing full gear on a scooter but its just not practical in hot countries. Say your trundling off to the beach at St Tropez and its 30 degrees. Firstly you will look like a complete twit and secondly you will probably die of heat stroke even if you dont fall off. Its wrong I know but nobody wears full gear on scooters in the med in July.

Hi, I am going to the Mugello GP on the 22 May (I am hoping it will be fairly warm by then). The idea is to go on my own on the scooter from the campsite which is 16 miles away. Would you like to mix it with Italian riders, drivers for 40 mins 4 times without any protection? My m/c jacket has a removable liner so a bit cooler without that, pair of jeans,change to shorts at the circuit all to go in the top box, Thats my view anyway.

Examiners will not let you take your test unless you wear helmet, gloves,m/c jacket boots and at least strong/thick jeans. My instructor informed of this and the examiner did check before starting the test.

Regards David

Like you I've stayed at the local campsite there is a bus to the local village/town from there you can get a bus to the circuit it's fantastic but a yellow 46 is mandatory if you want to survive the trip on two wheels 58 will get you worshiped. Anyone who doesn't wear protection should not complain when they get gravel rash or the bill that goes with it. In case anyone doesn't know ventilated leather is reasonably cool and gives reasonable protection. I shudder at the sight of those with tee shirts and flip flops they may learn the hard way but it could be too late by then. John B-)

Well done Had Enough!

I passed my test in 1972 and have had great times on various bikes. My wife and I had a bad tumble a few years back when a pedestrian ran into the side of us on a dual carriageway! He was lucky to survive and we were only doing about 35 slowing up to a round about.

After struggling to get around at camp sites, I coaxed my wife back onto a bike and we now use a Virago 250 and transport it on an easy lifter. The bike is light enough to drag around and has enough steam too carry us both plus beach stuff and scranny. Did Spain and back last year no probs, and I loved biking in Spain it seemed so laid back.

Wife and I use light leathers or denim in the hot countries, it aint exactly road proof but better than nowt at the low speeds we do and I never fancied my bare skin on a metalled road. Besides I sunburn like a lobster.

We had a tumble at low speed a few years back in armoured leathers and even that left us battered and bruised for weeks. I can still remember the nurse picking gravel out of my skinned arm.

The youngsters in the Spanish photos look like they've been flayed.

There is a delight in the freedom of flying along a sunny deserted back road on the South of France in just flip flops and shorts. I suppose you could argue that cyclists are just as much at risk and they wear even less. I know its crackers. One of the fondest memories I have is a blazing hot day (at least 35c) going around Lake Bourget (near Annecy) and it was so hot we just kept pulling in, diving into the lake and riding off again soaking wet. :D

We spent 8 weeks along the med coast though this summer from Monaco to the Costa Brava in Spain with the main being spent on or near the Cote D'Azur. The stretch between Monaco and St Tropez is bonkers. its the only place I felt really unsafe and the biggest problem was fellow scooter riders. We are talking scooters the size of Harleys. Nutters, all of them and not a leather jacket in sight.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I too carry a scooter on the back of my motorhome ( Honda pcx 125). Wouldn't be without it when we tour abroad. Long experience of biking up to 1800cc bikes

Worth checking rear axle weight of m/h when carrying scooter rack and scooter as well as overall max weight of vehicle when fully loaded. VOSA folk could pull you in for a check of both and prosecute if over either limit.

For info, if you hold a full UK driving licence for a car you can ride a scooter up to 50cc with a passenger on the back without L plates. This may be an option for those who don't want to go through a CBT, theory and road test. Although a very small engine for pulling two adults, it can do the job for local travel - albeit slowly - but that is no bad thing if inexperienced biker.

Archived