Peterborough show

Pete-B

Hi all,

We've been going to the show for many years now and although we enjoyed the visit today we both thought there was just that little something missing. Don't know what but it just didn't seem as good this year, probably it's just us!

Guest pelmetman

Been once.... I like to go to shows once every 20 years whether I need to or not ;-) ...........I'm due a visit to Earls Court, anyone know when they're opening the booking for 2016? :-S ......

pelmetman - 2015-04-18 6:52 PM

Been once.... I like to go to shows once every 20 years whether I need to or not ;-) ...........I'm due a visit to Earls Court, anyone know when they're opening the booking for 2016? :-S ......

Do they still have them at Earls Court?? Used to go to Boat shows there many moons ago

PJay

Can't see the point of going to shows, unless you are looking to buy new or gadgets C an be expensive day out

Guest pelmetman
PJay - 2015-04-18 7:00 PM

pelmetman - 2015-04-18 6:52 PM

Do they still have them at Earls Court?? Used to go to Boat shows there many moons ago

PJay

Can't see the point of going to shows, unless you are looking to buy new or gadgets C an be expensive day out

I doubt it, as I do believe the place has been redeveloped ? :D........

Talking of boats though, our first mobile home was at the boat show in the 70's B-) ..........a Royal 34 that we bought in Poole in 80 ish .............not one of my better decisions :D ...........although the thinking was sound, as per usual I came up against the dumb establishment *-) ........

The Sydney caravan/motorhome show finishes today (Sunday). There are 3 big shows Sydney, Melbourne & Brisbane each year. There are a number of regional shows up and down the east coast that are apparently taking patronage away from the 3 big events. On Tuesday when I went there seemed to be less people that last year so maybe so. I did not find the show as stimulating this year, as last year I was still deciding on what MH to buy so had a mission. I did need to sort out my flapping awning this show so I did have a mission but not as exciting. I have noticed adverts for regional shows in UK, are they also stealing patrons from the big shows as is the case here? Next Europe holiday will be around one of the big shows to be able to draw a comparison. As caravans are a much bigger percentage of the total than MHs here predictably there is a bigger focus on caravans. You people are spoilt for choice on available brands, having said that after reviewing all the new models at the show I am convinced we made the right choice for our particular needs.

Geeco - 2015-04-19 1:06 AM

The Sydney caravan/motorhome show finishes today (Sunday). There are 3 big shows Sydney, Melbourne & Brisbane each year. There are a number of regional shows up and down the east coast that are apparently taking patronage away from the 3 big events. On Tuesday when I went there seemed to be less people that last year so maybe so. I did not find the show as stimulating this year, as last year I was still deciding on what MH to buy so had a mission. I did need to sort out my flapping awning this show so I did have a mission but not as exciting. I have noticed adverts for regional shows in UK, are they also stealing patrons from the big shows as is the case here? Next Europe holiday will be around one of the big shows to be able to draw a comparison. As caravans are a much bigger percentage of the total than MHs here predictably there is a bigger focus on caravans. You people are spoilt for choice on available brands, having said that after reviewing all the new models at the show I am convinced we made the right choice for our particular needs.

Hi Garry

Hope you are keeping well.

A bit to far for us to try one of your shows unfortunately. You say we are spoilt for choice - yes that may be so but at least you have the good weather, we normally end up trudging around in the mud.

We have done only 200 miles (just over 300km) so far in our new Savannah but only been away twice . So far we think it is great - only issue is that when it has been cold at night the heating to the bedroom area is so much hotter than the lounge area so I had a look underneath and think that the 2 metres of exposed warm air duct (although running inside another flexible duct) could do with lagging - not too much of a problem.

How is your AutoTrail Tracker doing - are you still putting lots of km's on it ?

Best wishes

Alan

Hi Alan, As I write it is raining so no washing today. Home this week, then off for 10 days up the coast. Back for 2 weeks then heading up to Cairns for winter. Probably away for 2 months. Thank you for the heads up on the heater tubes I will look at that, sounds like good advice. I have ordered some bits at the show to make the awning more stable in windy conditions, if it works I will let you know with pics. We are both missing our annual Europe trip already maybe I can convince the codriver that Peterborough is a "must see" next year. Cheers,

We had a very pleasant time at Peterborough this year, despite a cool breeze, and it looked from the number of "sold" signs that the dealers were enjoying it too. There were lots of small accesory etc stalls as well as the wide choice of MHs so there was plenty to browse. There was a chance to look at the type of MH we're considering as a our next one, although not the actual model.

We were camped close to the Disabled Area and it was interesting to see the inginuity of some MH owners to get themselves and their scooters etc on site. Lots of trailers for transporting the scooter and generators for charging the batteries. One really nice-looking US RV which caught my eye which had a full length slide out so it must have been spacious inside. But quite a noisy area to be camping I suppose and it didn't look to be significantly closer to the action than lots of other areas. The Peterborough is however well suited to scooter-born travel because there is an incredible criss-cross of gravel and tarmac roadways.

Lots of dogs, almost all well behaved. Our Dalmatian got lots of "Ah"s and strokes as usual but strangely this time no none asked where the other 100 were.

The A Frame suppliers were there in force and it's clearly still an active market, presumbaly for people who tour mostly or entirely in UK. A clever folding trailer too for those who have limited storage space for a conventional one - but at £2,500 quite a price.

I think my principal impression was how expensive MHs seem these days; the current market hasn't stopped prices climbing yet. The bigger ones (still Fiat based) are now around £100,000 and there was a Frankia priced at £133,000.

Well done Warners, it's was a good Show.

We are just back from the Peterborough Show and its the first time we have stayed there, as its so close to home we usually attend as a day visitor. We found it a lot more relaxing being on site so we could just go for a few hours and come back for a rest before going back to look at more again.

We met up with lots of people that we haven't seen in ages, but we never found Tracker, despite our looking for him.

We spent loads of money, and I mean loads. We bought a solar panel from Solar Solutions. Very good job and a reasonable price. An electric bike from the very nice family at AS Electric Bikes. An inverter from the good people of RoadPro and goodness knows who else helped to relieve us from our hard earned cash.

Brilliant show, well organised at all times and when our bank balance has recovered, we will be going back :-D

tugga - 2015-04-20 1:48 PM

We met up with lots of people that we haven't seen in ages, but we never found Tracker, despite our looking for him.

Glad you enjoyed the show Cheryl and so sorry we missed you.

We were in the disabled parking (non booked) are close - but not so close we could hear their generators - to where all the big Yank RVs were parked!

We did meet several other people some old friends and some new friends and it is always good to put a face to a name!

We didn't spend a fortune but could so easily have done as we were really tempted with a couple of electric bikes, but we need a carrier first and I favour a tow bar type as being closer to the ground and hopefully stronger with less strain on me or the back of the van, possibly a solar panel but jury is still out on that one as it still is with a B2B charger - so Newbury maybe??

It was a good show as ever, even if the cold winds took the edge off of enjoyment at times but no grumbles at all weather wise and at least it was bone dry and sometimes sunny!

Our perception is that there was less there than a couple of years ago and each time we visit there seem to be a few less exhibitors? Too many shows these days maybe, or too expensive? Several stall holders we spoke too said they were struggling to justify the cost this year and may not return next year which is always a shame.

Didn't bother with the entertainment as just too tired to go traipsing around at night and for the first time ever this year we were unable to walk round the camping areas as it was just too much. Must get ourselves electric bikes!!

tugga - 2015-04-20 1:48 PM

...We bought a solar panel from Solar Solutions. Very good job and a reasonable price. ...

I think you picked a good supplier. They fitted ours a few years ago and all is still going well. There were other suppliers there, one of which I recognised as a firm which had bulls**tted us when we were looking around and were going to fit the wrong regulator, hooked up directly to the leisure battery.

StuartO - 2015-04-20 9:43 AM

The A Frame suppliers were there in force and it's clearly still an active market, presumbaly for people who tour mostly or entirely in UK.

I noticed a couple of stands, was a bit pushed for time so didn't get to see if they had CofC to make them legal.

I think my principal impression was how expensive MHs seem these days; the current market hasn't stopped prices climbing yet. The bigger ones (still Fiat based) are now around £100,000 and there was a Frankia priced at £133,000.

A 636sb with similar spec to ours is now £10,000 more than 4 years ago.

We enjoyed the show. Didn't even bother getting off site to have a look around the locality. Most of the free entertainment was good although the price of drinks was too high. Pleasant way to meet other forum members whatever forms you use and my dealer.

We learned from the seminars and talking to other people. Listening to the comments from some dealers to the gullible kept us entertained during the day.

The cold wind didn't make for a comfortable outdoor life though.

Big tick for Warners; good show, cheap camping with some facilities, and relaxed atmosphere.

Brock - 2015-04-21 5:25 PM

The cold wind didn't make for a comfortable outdoor life though.

It's on the edge of fenland and an ex airfield, either of these would warrent a warm coat at this time of year, combine the two and odds are it will cold and windy. I was wearing a winter weight fleece and coat, was a tad hot in the sheltered spots.

We went to spend 20,00 on a new van but found that the vans were not much better than what we have, certainly not 10,000 better so we bought a new one. I always think that it needs more nick nack stalls, like at steam fairs. You would think they would have a stall to buy trim and mouldings to repair your van I wanted some bits for mine but came up short.

We went but were disappointed. Very few accessory stands couldn't get most of what we wanted- Window Stay, One Chem, Headlight converters and some other bits & bats-as earlier poster said too many selling non related products ie garden furniture,handbags, scarves shoes, cheese etc and a qtr of Pomfret cakes for £2.25!

Tried to buy a new leisure battery and found 2 stalls with about 2 batteries each for sale-came home, bought one on Ebay and saved £40 on identical battery!

Some nice vans there and really liked the new Hymer intergrated but at £66k for a low profile it takes some justifying.-That would give me 30 holidays!

Also thought the entertainment was overpriced-the free entertainment was as usual much better than the Headline acts. Vivo were brilliant-Vanity fair not so good-Rubettes awful.

Still that's only our opinion

Mike

DAZID1 - 2015-04-23 8:00 PM

.... I always think that it needs more nick nack stalls, like at steam fairs. You would think they would have a stall to buy trim and mouldings to repair your van I wanted some bits for mine but came up short.

I don't think motorhoming is really a DIY hobby, at least not on a big scale, and so together with what Warners charge for each stall, it won't be viable for those sort of traders. There was only one tool stall that I noticed for example, whereas at some shows, notably biker shows but also more general ones, you get all sorts of blokey stuff. Pity really because they would certainly add variety and breadth to the event.

Mike, Dave Newall had plenty of batteries with him at the show. He supplied and fitted one for me at the show at a price 28p cheaper than they are being offered by Europarts [excluding collection or delivery costs]. Dave also took away my dead battery saving me a trip to the tip. There were at least three other stands selling batteries, two of them had stock 'around the back'.

Vivito were good but just pipped by Union Gap in our view! However, of the two, I'd like to see Vivito again as their set would more likely to be varied.

We too were disappointed in the range of stalls. Too many were selling standard stuff and just competing with each other on lowest price rather than having different products. We did buy an attractive vinyl tablecloth though!

Notable by their absence ... Brownhills! Apparently they aren't doing any outdoor shows now and, regardless of your opinion of them, they used to do a good display of MHs of various types/prices which was good for those looking to get one. Whilst there were a lot of MHs and camper vans on offer from other dealers, overall the numbers were down.

As for the bits and bobs stands, there were definitely less ... a lot of 'non-MH related' ones ... even in the widest stretching of the imagination I've never yet seen a MH with a conservatory that needed a new roof!!! In the huts there was one 'store' which had a massive area that was way toooo big for the actual number/variety of items on offer, but a lot of it was very reasonably priced, if not stonkingly cheap! There were also quite a few gaps in there, either traders who hadn't turned up, or 'space' not sold. We also noticed that some of the Parkhomes had 'escaped' from the large brick building and were being shown on one of the rows usually full of MH traders.

As for more specific MH items, we used to love 'snuffling' round the O'Leary stall and always managed to find something we needed from them ... it's a shame that it is cost prohibitive now for many to bother and we too overheard some 'commenting' on the cost compared to the sales they made ... one regular trader who we call the 'Pan man' is retiring this year and shutting up shop so that's another one who won't be there next time.

We don't bother with the entertainment as it's too noisy and the drinks are expensive ... plus we're usually too knackered after pottering around during the day!

Don't get me wrong - we enjoyed it as we always do and have attended it for many years (we had to miss last year unfortunately) however I don't think we'll go again for a while.

As an aside it was an expensive show for us ... we're getting a new van! :-D

Archived