Parking in Kendal

Keith T

WE will be staying at the CaravanClub site in 'Kendal' -actually 5 miles way in Sedgwick - in the next few days.

There seems little in the way of regular public transport, and only basically 1 bus per day in each direction.

Can anyone advise re parking in Kendal for the motorhome during the day, please?

Oh sorry about that good job you checked. It must be last couple of years as don't remember height barrier. There must be other parking as they have coach tours. My mate lives in kendal I will see if I can come up with an alternative for you.

Kendal cricket club run a parking scheme around their pitch. You often see vans parked in there.

the ground is on the A6 about 20 minutes from the town centre

If you look at Google maps you can see the parking

HWO

Keith T - 2015-04-23 8:44 AM

Hi and thanks. Chkd website again and they do have MH parking ..you have to phone on advance to book a space. So on our way there shortly and will call before we leave Durham where we are now. Thanks for yr help.

Your welcome, enjoy your trip.

bazooka - 2015-04-23 7:39 PM

You can park on Morrisons and catch a bus to Kendal bus station or 15-20 minutes walk from Morrisons.

Baz

That's how we get a bad name for ourselves and banned. Leave a bloody great white box in somebody's car park, and sod off all day somewhere else

HWO

Guest Joe90
Motorhome users have been doing exactly this in the retail park near us, and catching the bus into the town or beach presumably, we actually went there in our van just yesterday to collect some bags of peat, whilst on route home from visiting friends, well surprise surprise, the bright yellow posts to carry height barriers had just been concreted in, and Parking Eye are taking over the monitoring of the car park, so thanks to those giving that kind of advice to park at Morrisons screw it up for everyone, and why the UK is becoming more anti motorhome parking by the day, and one of the reasons we have now 99% decided to pack it all in for good

Joe90 - 2015-04-24 8:46 PM

Motorhome users have been doing exactly this in the retail park near us, and catching the bus into the town or beach presumably, we actually went there in our van just yesterday to collect some bags of peat, whilst on route home from visiting friends, well surprise surprise, the bright yellow posts to carry height barriers had just been concreted in, and Parking Eye are taking over the monitoring of the car park, so thanks to those giving that kind of advice to park at Morrisons screw it up for everyone, and why the UK is becoming more anti motorhome parking by the day, and one of the reasons we have now 99% decided to pack it all in for good

I do agree however I have found that if you ask the manager and actually use the shop first then they are always accommodating. The OPs call to pre arrange my suggestion is proof. The problem is when people do not have the manners to ask and just assume they have a right to park on what is private property same as your drive way, I feel the same about wild camping.

This of course highlights one of the down sides of MH and one of the reasons we went back to a caravan.

Many thanks to IPS for this information and others for their comments. I thought you might appreciate on update, and maybe some of this will help future potential visitors to this lovely town.

Firstly, given the frequent difficulty of parking a motorhome in may places, it is useful to contact maybe Tourism or the Management of a particular outlet or visitor centre in advance...to find out if such a vehicle can be parked safely and easily, and if indeed you need to reserve a space.I have done this quite frequently, and always been met with most courteous response and advice.

with reference to Kendal in particular, I contacted their local parking office and was given some information, although they suggested limited parking only was available, but did give a possible one, and said that we would need a 'tandem' space and would have to pay for two if that was what we occupied. Fair enough, as far as I was concerned.

The information given on this forum by IPS was most helpful, though and gave me a lead to the K-outlet. Having checked their website, it stated that parking for motorhomes had to be 'reserved', so I called and spoke with a member of their management prior to setting out. A very helpful lady advised me that the 'reserved' parking was actually for coaches, but as it was low season, I would be more than welcome to use this, and it was located a few minutes walk away from the shopping centre at the local Leisure Centre. there would be no charge, as they pay an annual fee for coaches to use this! She even e-mailed me a map of the locations!

Once I arrived and found the Leisure Centre (very easy following the brown signs), it was literally a few minute form the outlet, but I found the coach parking was actually on some rough ground at the back of the centre, and it did not initially feel that secure. As the main car park had loads of empty spaces, I took the opportunity to find one which the motorhome could fit in by hanging over a grass verge, and left a note in the windscreen stating that we had been in touch with K-outlet and they had authorized us to use that parking area....it was free of charge anyway. Even when we returned, there were loads of empty spaces, but we took only one as it happened.

We spent a very enjoyable time looking around what turned out to be a great town, and will certainly go back in the future. We did see the Morrisons outlet, but it was a fair was out of town, and in any case we assumed parking may have been relatively short term, but I do accept the earlier comment that if we wanted to stay we could have spoken with the duty manager.

What does seem to me the situation though, is that UK is not equipped or particularly welcoming of MHs, and is such a contract with France where we travel regularly, and have no problem in parking, even in Supermarket/Hypermarket car parks.....no matter how nay spaces we occupy - though we don't follow the French attitude of parking across 4 of them! It does seem a pity that the UK is not more motorhome conscious, as there really are so many of us, and I believe bring quite a lot of funds into local areas.

In the UK though I think if you look carefully and do so homework in advance you can very often get help from the 'authorities', and to me as the driver of such a vehicle it is courteous to do so. I would certainly not wish to park somewhere clearly not welcome, and blocking properties, or where I did not feel it safe to leave the MH.

Guest Joe90

We did exactly as you proposed, a bit of home work, with a planned visit to Cardiff, and see the bay area. Telephoned the council and explained that my wife is disabled, and was there anywhere we could park our motorhome in the bay area, they in turn referred us to the harbour master that said there was only ONE car park that we could use, but we would have to pay for two bays if any part of our Rapido overhung the next bay, he gave us his name and telephone number to quote to any enforcement official in the event of any issue, so far so good.

We set off and after a 4 hour journey arrived at said car park only to find each bay was separated off from the next with bollards, but almost empty, I was at best not amused, so telephoned the harbour master whose contact details I was given for advice,only to be informed he was on leave, and that no one else could offer any alternative location on the bay, and as they did not deal with enforcement couldn't tell us what would have happened had we used a standard bay and overhung.

I was tempted to try using my wifes newly granted blue badge and park elsewhere, but quite frankly who needs the hassle, I'll stick to doing what we have always done......................head for Calais, or sell the van which we are actively now considering after another abortive trip last week parking wise to Tenby, where we did find just one large and empty car park near to the old town, but an equally large sign pronounced NO MOTORHOMES, the only other car park option a traffic warden told us, although apologetic, was at the very bottom of the town, and a fair old hike all up hill, not so good if your missus can barely walk.

Joe90 - 2015-04-25 6:13 PM

.... I'll stick to doing what we have always done......................head for Calais, or sell the van which we are actively now considering after another abortive trip last week parking wise to Tenby, where we did find just one large and empty car park near to the old town, but an equally large sign pronounced NO MOTORHOMES, the only other car park option a traffic warden told us, although apologetic, was at the very bottom of the town, and a fair old hike all up hill, not so good if your missus can barely walk.

It sounds from your description that the car park near to the town walls is the privately owned and run car park on land that used to be a garage.

All council run car parks [the multi storey car park excepted, for obvious reasons] allow motorhome parking. This is copied from the Council website:

"Motor Homes

Motor homes may park in any Council car park. Some car parks have larger spaces to accommodate larger vehicles; where a motor home occupies more than one space additional tickets must be purchased."

There is another alternative to the private one - South Beach Car Park - which would entail a longer walk than that from that private one, but it is a flat walk to the centre. Tenby is an old walled town, not suited to modern traffic, and not to motorhomes, and the car parks are not central. The hilly terrain does not help if you need a level walk. Once Easter arrives, and until October, we even leave our car at home and take the bus into town from the outskirts.

Archived