Euroliners

XRN

Anybody have Euroliner wheel trims fitted? My Hymer, sprinter based with twin wheels at the rear (not tag) has Euroliners fitted but I can't for the life of me get them off. I know there are 2 fastening nuts but I don't know if they are right hand or left hand threads or if you have to remove them some special way. I have the tool but they are really tight to undo in either direction. I have tried turning in both directions but just start bending the handles on the tool. All wheels are the same. The garage must have had them off a month ago when new discs and pads were fitted so I don't suspect they will be seized. Can anybody help me out with a tip please?

Suggest you seek advice from the garage that fitted the discs/pads a month ago.

Logically, the fastening nuts should be standard ‘right-hand thread type’ as this would be the normal expectation and there seems to be no obvious reason for them to be otherwise.

That you are unable to move the nuts in either direction without the tool you are using starting to bend suggests that the garage torqued the nuts very tightly using a better tool than you have got. Assuming that it’s practicable, you could try striking the tool’s handle with a heavy hammer to see if a sudden shock will start the nut moving.

Use the false nut cover remover supplied and remove the two nuts on each wheel that's covered ,remove these tho nuts first and the Euroline cover, then remove the other nuts holding the wheel  (all open anti clockwise), Always ensure a  safe jacking practice , if you are unfamiliar with this work
 as suggested have it done professionally and watch the process.  
Hope this helps, 

onecal - 2015-05-01 1:23 PM

Use the false nut cover remover supplied and remove the two nuts on each wheel that's covered ,remove these tho nuts first and the Euroline cover, then remove the other nuts holding the wheel  (all open anti clockwise)...

As I understand the inquiry, it’s removing the “false nut covers” that is presenting a problem.

Can you describe how the removal tool should be used? (Do the covers actually unscrew?)

If Robert (XRN) had managed to get the covers off I would have thought no special removal tool would be needed to undo the nuts that actually attach the wheel to the hub, just a common-or-garden wheel-wrench and some effort if the nuts are really tight.

Onecal, when you say "Use the false nut cover remover supplied and remove the two nuts on each wheel that's covered", that is my problem. I have the tee handle with the hexagon socket on the end to remove these but I cannot get the covers off by turning them as they are so tight and do not move. More force just results in the handles bending! The brake work was aranged by the previous owner before I bought it so I am not near the garage in question to get them to show me. If they are just nut covers would they have been torqued up with the wheel nuts?

When both nuts are removed the simply slide off , sadly the nuts may have been over torqued with an air gun, I have no idea how mechanically minded the OP is so as you suggest Derek, it may be best to have same removed by Garage,with an air gun. They should be torqued (NM) to 180 steel twin wheel model.
Note ; The two false covers over the nuts pull straight off,,, I will post a photo later tonight if needed.

As a Marine Engineer I have access to most lumpy mechanical things and know my way around a spanner or two so that side is ok :-) The comment that the 2 falsecovers just pull off is interesting as the hex tool is not designed to pull the covers off just rotate them. A photo would be really useful. Euroliners website shows threaded extention pieces screwed onto the wheel studs after the wheel nuts have been torqued, which the false covers would appear to be fastened to. In this case they would not need to be torqued or overtightened in any way as the wheels have already been properly secured.

I only want to check the tyre pressures and the valve is not accessible with the covers in place, if it is this difficult to get the trims off its best I find the way before I have a puncture!!!

They should just pull off with te tool supplied,,,unless some changes by the manufacture have been made I am not aware of,(can happen) I have serviced quite a few, I take it the wheels are 16" sprinter twin wheels on the Merc,,415/519. Given your experience ,they should not be a problem to you. Maybe you should post a photo of your problem fixing?

A photo won't really highlight the issue as when fitted all bolt covers look the same. There are 2 tiny cutouts on 2 opposing flats at the inner end of the fixing nut covers, are these relevant? There's no peg like things inside the hex tool which would slot into these, just a smooth socket. Thanks for the help so far chaps. Sprinter with 16" wheels is correct.

XRN - 2015-05-01 2:29 PM

Euroliners website shows threaded extention pieces screwed onto the wheel studs after the wheel nuts have been torqued, which the false covers would appear to be fastened to. In this case they would not need to be torqued or overtightened in any way as the wheels have already been properly secured.

This sounds the same as on mine, sounds like they are just overtightened...

To check tyre pressures in future it might be a good idea to fit valve extenders like these:

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l229/neilmac500/Euroliners_zpsodircc0p.jpg

Am I being cynical :-

"The garage must have had them off a month ago when new discs and pads were fitted so I don't suspect they will be seized"

How sure are you of previous owner's garage did they seize them did they actually change pads and discs?

Personally I would get my own reliable garage and get them to check.

Docted

Can you please post a photo of the tool you are using to remove the two false nut covers, they just pull off using the tool provided, have you the correct tool? Place the wire hooked puller in the slots and pull off the false cover on the two nuts ,these false cover nuts have slots provided where the wire tool puller fits for removal. Post a photo of the of the false nuts and tool you are using to remove same

I will check the tool again but it is just a tee handle with a 30mm socket welded onto the end. Onecal, the socket is only sheetmetal so not a lot of strength in it and there are no prongs inside it to pull the covers off. I will post a photo later but a photo of your removal tool would be useful to make one up if it is different to mine.

XRN - 2015-05-05 8:12 AM

I will check the tool again but it is just a tee handle with a 30mm socket welded onto the end. Onecal, the socket is only sheetmetal so not a lot of strength in it and there are no prongs inside it to pull the covers off. I will post a photo later but a photo of your removal tool would be useful to make one up if it is different to mine.

Find the two nuts which have identifying grooves in them, Place on tool and turn anticlockwise. If you cannot remove them they are too tight for your tool and you need a heavier duty socket/tool.

Van is in for a habitation service today so I asked how they come off and was told the grooved locking covers just pull off then you can access the wheel nuts. Totally confused now!

I have had another look at the tool and took some photos so will search for the guide to uploading pics and do it tonight. Thanks for the helpful comments so far, learning curve is getting steeper :-S

Rob

Why not post a photo of the tool you are having difficulty with ?. The two false stud covers on Mercedes twin wheels, just pull off,with a wire finger puller on all the Euroliners for the 16'' wheel

Brambles - 2015-05-05 11:21 AM

any help?

Thanks Brambles, the youtube video is exactly what I have and it suggests that my nut covers have just been overtightened. Big socket set time!

Archived