2015 Ducato X290 Towbar fitting

veletron

Hi

Anyone had a towbar fitted to an X290?? Witter dont appear to yet have a compatible model, and I dont believe that the X250 (2006-->) or X251 (2011-->) models will fit.

Struggling also to locate a vehicle specific wiring kit (that plugs right into existing socket) Looks like I would have to use a bypass kit instead which bodges into existing wiring.

Van is a LWB high roof PVC 2015, X290

Any info much appreciated

Nigel

...I think I'd make some serious queries.

The towing installation diagrams in the manuals for the X/290 and the immediately previous X250 look identical.

Though I believe there has been minor rear-end work on the X/290 (composite springs, for example), I would have expected the same towbar configuration to fit both.

There appears to be a number of dedicated (Canbus) wiring kits available for post 2011 Ducatos. I would be inclined to seek assurances from the suppliers that show no end-date on their compatibility that they are compatible with the X/290 version.

Hi Nigel,

AutoTrail have a factory fit accessory option of a Witter tow-bar, which is type approved, for their V Line PVC motorhomes and the cost is £595 including electrics.

So if AutoTrail do it for their current 2015 X290's then why not give Witter tow-bars a call to find out who your nearest installer might be.

Alan

veletron - 2015-05-12 2:37 PM

Hi

Anyone had a towbar fitted to an X290?? Witter dont appear to yet have a compatible model, and I dont believe that the X250 (2006-->) or X251 (2011-->) models will fit.

Struggling also to locate a vehicle specific wiring kit (that plugs right into existing socket) Looks like I would have to use a bypass kit instead which bodges into existing wiring.

Van is a LWB high roof PVC 2015, X290

Any info much appreciated

Nigel

Have a X290 fitted with a Tow Trust TP3 type approved towbar. Plug in electrics by Right Connections which facilitates correct operation of trailer/cycle carrier rear fog lamps providing wattage does not exceed 21w - if you have twin rear fog lamp requirement which would exceed 21w then substituting LED bulbs with built in resistor I'm advised should work. Don't have reversing sensors just camera.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks folks for the heads-up. I will re-check witter as the flange mount system they use would be my preference. I aint paying 600quid for a towbar though!!

Still waiting for the van to turn up at the moment. It appears that Rapido are well behind schedule.

The tow-trust is a flange mount by the looks of it. Did you fit it yourself?

Nigel

veletron - 2015-06-05 4:24 PM

Thanks folks for the heads-up. I will re-check witter as the flange mount system they use would be my preference. I aint paying 600quid for a towbar though!!

Still waiting for the van to turn up at the moment. It appears that Rapido are well behind schedule.

The tow-trust is a flange mount by the looks of it. Did you fit it yourself?

Nigel

. I had to pay £680 for my Witter towbar and electrics, although it did take them all morning and involved much strengthening of the rear chassis, looking underneath at the work done, I wasn't unhappy.It was Autotrail approved and did not affect the warranty.

Rajysi, I see that your Savanna is a coach built so totally different to the original post for a 290 panel van. The cost and time to fit are useful, but the time to fit is going to be much longer for your coach built than the panel van.

I am in the process of downsizing from coach built to, probably an Autosleeper Warwick Duo/XL and want a tow bar fitted from new to take my Electric bikes. No hanging them from the doors for me.

I am concerned that Witter, a major player in tow bars, do not have one at present for the 2015 290 panel van. So No towbar = No new panel van.

I will follow this thread with interest to see what others have to recommend with regard to towbar suppliers/fitters.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

So, I got a towtrust TP3 delivered mail order, together with a cheapo £19 bypass relay since they wanted £120 for a vehicle specific kit just to save 10 mins with a soldering iron. Total all up was £138 delivered.

Took me about 2 hours to fit, easy job, kit worked just fine. Hardest bit was accurately cutting the underside of the plastic bumper (cut is unseen, underneath van).

Items came from Towbars Direct, ebay ID: norbrooktrailers, based down in Warrington, and significantly cheaper than ordering from Tow Trust direct

Nigel

Some people may prefer to opt for the plug in kit and the extra expense as it does automatically address issues of reversing sensors and fog lamp dazzle if a requirement. I've also experienced conflict with Fiat over warranty work when "unauthorised wiring" was found soldered into the rear lighting. If it's plugged in it can be simply unplugged to eliminate it was Fiat's response. Just something to consider.

Archived