Black smoke from fiat 110 engine.

rogermash

I have just had a panic call from a friend in the top of Scotland with a 2007 Adria Twin 110 engine. He was climbing a steep hill, stopped to watch a buzzard, and when he set off again there were clouds of black smoke and loss of power. He stopped at the top of the hill for ten minutes and , when he set off it had cleared. Have suggested a turbo pipe, which I had on my own 120 twin last year. But I seem to remember reading about this in MMM some time ago. If only I could remember when! Help please Nick or anyone with a better memory than me.

Hello.

Turbo pipes cannot repair or reattach themselves, so if the problem is completely cured; it was not a turbo pipe. If the driver has not put the engine under as much load as he did when climbing the hill since, the problem may still be present and could be a small hole in the intercooler or a brief issue with the EGR system.

The first thing we need to establish is what engine it has. At 2007 it could only be a 100, 120, 130 or 160hp. I have never heard of a 110! The 100 is a Peugeot engine, the others are Fiat's and my experience is limited to the Fiat motors when it gets really technical.

euroserv - 2015-05-18 1:48 PM

The first thing we need to establish is what engine it has. At 2007 it could only be a 100, 120, 130 or 160hp. I have never heard of a 110!

...but someone quoting a 2007 Adria Twin could be giving the registration date, rather than the base vehicle date.

The previous 2.3JTD (available up to 2006) was a 110hp, wasn't it?

Sorry, the engine is the smaller 2.2 with the five speed box. The fault has occurred again and his breakdown insurer have sent someone out. They have not yet found a cause, but a recovery vehicle is to take them to the fiat dealer in Inverness tomorrow.

Hi,

I Know this problem well, I had exactly the same problem on my 2007 swift fitted with the same engine when in France, the Fiat garage changed the EGR valve but it did not solve the problem I was still issuing huge amounts of black smoke. The EGR valve on this engine is electric So I removed the plug to it and the problem disappeared.

I worked with a local garage on my return and found the problem was with the ECU, it left the valve open about 15%. The Fiat dealer was unable to solve the problem so it remained unplugged with no further problem.

The 2.2 engine fitted to the 100hp is a ford duratorque not Fiat. I suggest your friend unplugs the valve before resorting to the expense of having a new valve fitted. The plug is accessible from under the bonnet its location is in the middle of the engine block above the sump,

These engines do have problems mine failed at 35000 miles when a hole blew in number 3 piston wrecking the engine this is a known problem with these engines in both the Fiat & Ford Transit. I have since parted company with it.

Geoff Cole

Archived