Truma 4e heater

cheetra

Hi,

We have now been running on gas only for a week or more, and have noted the following:

It get very much hotter on gas than it ever did on electricity. Is it possible that only one electric element has ever worked from new?

If I set the water temperature to 40 degrees, it seems to warm up only once, and never switches on again, (via the thermostat). It works fine on 60 degrees, and warms the water very quickly.

I have the infernal thing booked in to the Truma main centre, (Nr Hilton, Derbyshire), next Tuesday, And it looks like from earlier comments, I am going to get a large bill!

I also hope they have sorted out their test unit!

Many thanks for all your useful comments.......

cheetra - 2015-05-25 8:57 AM

Hi,

We have now been running on gas only for a week or more, and have noted the following:

It get very much hotter on gas than it ever did on electricity. Is it possible that only one electric element has ever worked from new?

If I set the water temperature to 40 degrees, it seems to warm up only once, and never switches on again, (via the thermostat). It works fine on 60 degrees, and warms the water very quickly.

I have the infernal thing booked in to the Truma main centre, (Nr Hilton, Derbyshire), next Tuesday, And it looks like from earlier comments, I am going to get a large bill!

That's what mine does or did when it was working! If we turned the water off and reset it to 40 it would heat up but not torn itself back on when water was drawn.

As it seems to be a common problems on 40 deg, I'll have another go at Truma, first I will see if the software upgrade makes any difference, don't think it will as it was only the controller.

A pain having to use it on 60 deg, much more difficult to set the shower temperature & wastes more water doing it and of course more gas is used, it's principle rather than cost. If it has a 40 deg setting it should work.

Can't comment on electric ours is gas only.

cheetra - 2015-05-25 8:57 AM

Hi,

as your van is brand new and under warranty, you shouldn't get charged for Truma to resolve it....

bolero boy - 2015-05-25 10:56 AM...........................as your van is brand new and under warranty, you shouldn't get charged for Truma to resolve it....

Agreed. Also, where is the dealer who sold it in this? It is primarily his responsibility to get it fixed. Is he aware of your problems? He should meet your costs for taking the van to Truma if the reason for your visit is that he can't fix it himself and is offering this as his best remedy.

I have complained about my Combi at every service, but it never seems to fail for them? It only happens to us , when it is below or close to 0o and in the middle of the night, wake up to a freezing van and a red light on the controls. Do not trust it anymore.

Took mine in to be fixed yesterday. Seems it needs at least one of three new parts. Truma are sending all three to the dealer so lets hope this solves the problem. Problem seems to relate to excessive heat. It is a bit tightly packaged in out PVC so wondering if this could be cause of problem. We are off again shortly so unlikely to be fixed before we go. We will be back for a week at the end of June so I'll book it in for then. I'll let you all know how things go. Dealers service manager has been really helpful and he does tell me that in general they have very little trouble even in similar. Blowing a little hot air out in hot water mode only is I'm told perfectly normal if things start getting a bit hot. He recommends always leaving at least one vent open to allow it to do this even though it makes no mention of it in the instructions.

Quite why Auto Sleeper decided to fit a 6e in a very well insulated PVC I have no idea. We've used it in some reasonably cold weather and never needed more than the lowest electric setting to maintain a comfortable temperature only using the higher setting to heat water up more rapidly or bring them up in the morning.

Colin Leake - 2015-05-27 11:07 PM

...Quite why Auto Sleeper decided to fit a 6e in a very well insulated PVC I have no idea. We've used it in some reasonably cold weather and never needed more than the lowest electric setting to maintain a comfortable temperature only using the higher setting to heat water up more rapidly or bring them up in the morning.

The ‘logic’ seems to be to fit the Combi-6E whenever 230V heating is specified, irrespective of the size/type of motorhome. I guess it makes some sort of sense to standardise as a 6E probably won’t cost the converter much more than a 4E and the fitting costs will be the same for both heaters. The maximum heating output on 230V is the same for the 4E and 6E, as if the maximum airflow. The difference is that the 6E can produce 6kW of heat on gas and in mixed gas+230V mode against the 4E’s 4kW. In principle a Combi-6 (or 6E) should be overkill for a small motorhome, but it will provide a faster warm up than a Combi-4/4E if the vehicle is very cold and might be the better choice if, say, one were into skiing holidays.

My Hobby’s Truma C-6002EH 6kW gas+230V heater was beneath the bed but unenclosed with plenty of opportunity to radiate heat. My Rapido’s gas-only Combi-4 is also under the bed, but well boxed in. Rapido used to cut holes in the garage bulkhead to ventilate the heater enclosure (not the greatest of ideas for a heater designed to recirculate warmed air) but, for my 2015 640 model, has stopped doing this and fitted a narrow grille in the wall of an adjacent storage compartment likely to be filled with ’stuff’ by an unwary buyer. I’ve fitted a large grille horizontally above the heater and another large grille vertically at the heater’s air-ducting end and opening into the living area. If the thing overheats now, well at least I’ve done my best!

Took the Warwick XL to the dealer having phoned the fault code to them well,in advance. Truma wanted the unit to,be further examined by the dealer. They then suggested it could,be one or more of three expensive parts. You may expect that for,a warrenty claim they would,dispatch parts to,dealer. Wrong they told the dealer he would have to,order the parts fit,as required ands submit a warrenty claim. No idea what he was supposed to do with any parts he did not need! Dealer phoned me up to say the parts were on back order but he would have them by the 8th of June to late to fit before we went on holiday again. We agreed to,wait and have them fitted when we returned at the end of June. Thought about it and the term back order had me worried.

Phoned Truma to see if they could send the parts direct. If they did,the dealer would,have to pay up front! On a warrenty claim I exclaimed. Yes the said but in any case they could,not dispatch the parts till Monday as parts department were shut for the Week! Do you defiantly have then in stock I asked. We don't know the parts department is closed untill Monday. Can't you look on a computer to find out i asked No we are the customer service dapartment and don't have access to parts department computer.

The dealer has been doing his best and is far from happy with Truma himself but the service from Truma is beyond belief. I'll be checking to see if he manages to get the parts while we are away. If not Truma are not going to believe what hit them especialy if turn the wife on them.

It's not a big problem we have a small oil filled rad we can take to keep warm, use the site facilities in the main and can always heat water in the kettle but I'm stil far from happy.

They did have one good idea. Perhaps we could,use a helgan heater to keep warm. In a PVC,

Sorry about all,the comas battery is running out so no time to edit them out.

Hi

Just got back from the Truma main UK centre, and they have fixed it. Both elements had failed, and one had a split in it, which would have caused a short to earth, and tripped my RCD. The other was open circuit.

I was very impressed with the knowledge and helpfulness of the staff. They only charged me for 2 hours labour, and I'm sure it took longer than that. Total cost (inc VAT) was 184 pounds.

I asked about the 40 degrees only working once, and they said it takes quite a long time after switching off the first time, and said this was due to residual heat left in the heat exchanger. They tested mine, and said it was OK.

My elements are now guaranteed for two years.....

So, here's hoping for a hassle free heater for a few years?

Many thanks for all your comments......

• 2 months later...

Finaly got around to contacting Truma about the hot water setting, we have only been home for 2 weeks since the end of May.

Apparently when set to 40 deg the thermostat does not turn back on until the water temperature drops to 27 deg basically when the water is luke warm.

The words "not fit for purpose" comes mind, anyway I've back to them pointing this out ans asking if there is a fix, not expecting to get much of a response.

Our heater has been fitted with a new circuit board and now seems to be behaving itself. One tip though I discovered that if you are running on electric and simply unplug the mains before driving off when you next turn it on before plugging in the mains it will look for said mains and show an error code. Turning the system off before disconnecting the mains will avoid the problem. If you do get the error. Ode simply turn the system off and start again.

Archived