Astra 2G

Frankkia

For those interested in satellite reception abroad.

Astra 2G has left it's test position heading for the 28.3 position and at the current speed should be there and ready to kick off next week.

What does that mean? - Well I would think that the 1st lot of programming to be moved over will be all the stuff still on the ageing Eutelsat bird which has been handling some of the UK channels from the 28 degree position. Then there will be some more of the "Free To Air" channels currently on the other 2 newer Astra 2 satellites (E and F). The HD versions of ITV 2 and 4 have already been moved on to the UK "Spot Beam".

It is possible that the BBC will take up some of the UK spot beam frequencies as they would like to have each of the regions programming in HD too.

The main thing is that there will be more UK focused channels disappearing from most of Spain and Portugal and anywhere east of Dusseldorf without a really big dish which couldn't be carried safely on a motorhome. Those with Sky boxes with a subscription should still have plenty to watch as many of the encrypted channels will be staying on the "Pan European" beam.

A couple of quick questions (wether the answers are, is a different matter ?)

Will the change make any differnce as to how my Camos dome locates the satelitte ?

I have a a small older Pace Sky box, but no sky subscription, that pulls in most channels and radio that we want. Am I correct in thinking that Sky acts as a repeater for the main UK channels but is not reliant upon Freesat ?

I keep thinking of changing to Humax, or similar, sat receiver that has a hard disc. Idea being I can record from satelite at home and take the Humax with me. And maybe use the Humax to pick up transmissions from the other satellites the Camos is supposed to connect to. Any thoughts ?

Rgds

Hi Tony

Will the change make any differnce as to how my Camos dome locates the satelitte ? --- No it shouldn't as the frequencies used will be the same one's currently in use. Occasionally broadcasters change the frequency they use for their channels but your Camos is only interested in finding the frequency and not the particular station.

I have a a small older Pace Sky box, but no sky subscription, that pulls in most channels and radio that we want. Am I correct in thinking that Sky acts as a repeater for the main UK channels but is not reliant upon Freesat ? You are correct --- Each of the channels you see on "Freesat" or "Sky" is actually the same channel coming from the same transponder and frequency -- In effect the "Freesat" or "Sky" programme guide merely points the equipment (Freesat or Sky box) to that frequency.

I keep thinking of changing to Humax, or similar, sat receiver that has a hard disc. Idea being I can record from satelite at home and take the Humax with me. And maybe use the Humax to pick up transmissions from the other satellites the Camos is supposed to connect to ---- Good idea --- I assume the Pace box you have is the Pace Javelin (also known as the 1000) which is a 12 volt model. Humax also do a model which with an appropriate lead can be run from 12v called the 1000s. Note that this model does not have RF out so you would need a "Triax Trilink" to convert to UHF so that you could use a magic eye if you are installing it in an inaccessible place (where your remote control can't see it.. Also note - anything with a hard drive should be shut down and powered off before you move off. Hard drives can be damaged by being bounced around in a moving vehicle.

• 3 weeks later...

It took longer than I expected to move Astra 2G to its broadcast position but it is today executing a handbrake turn into position at 28 degrees and channels will start to move over very soon.

Just over a week ago many people in southern France and Spain with big dishes lost the BBC / ITV etc. This happened when the Astra 2E and F satellites were moved slightly to allow room for 2G to park. If it wasn't a coincidence then this loss of signal to the fringe areas may become permanent. I say this as the signals are at their weakest during the summer months anyway so may have been due to that.

just to give a real time user update....we were in Narbonne on Friday and managed to (just about....) get the BBC (not HD) on a Teleco 85cm dish......I have set the skew myself.....

Saturday, just south of Bordeaux and all channels, incl HD, available......

Archived