"The Ladybird Guide to e-Bikes"

Gwendolyn

Or "Janet and John go e-biking" - because that's the simplistic level of explanation I need.

I have read with interest, but then with increasing bewilderment, the recent thread re Electric bikes or scooters, but it got a bit technical for me. Once we get to "crank" I've had it! [OH understands, but he is unable to bring himself down to my level of ignorance and explain stuff to me in a way I can understand - he still used technical terms. I'd like to understand for myself.]

So this is where I am at:

- Bought e-bikes just over 4 years ago. I've no doubt they fall into the category elegantly termed "Chinese junk". But we didn't want to spend a lot in case we didn't really use them. We did. We still do. And we've had fun / are having fun. But now is the time to move on to "better bikes".

- Our current ones can be ridden, with GREAT difficulty and a huge amount of effort, thus not very far, and on the flat, without the battery switched on. It soon is!

- The mileage we can do with a fully charged battery is not great. 20 miles perhaps? OK for getting to shops / nearby restaurants etc.

- They are inadvisable in Spain, having a throttle which can be switched on. [Throttles were disabled for our winter Spanish trip and we hoped for the best, and the worst did not happen.]

Am I understanding correctly that "better" bikes:

- Can be ridden easily without battery power?

- Have throttles which cannot be switched on independently ?

- Have possible greater mileage than our current ones on a fully charged battery?

What is "riding in eco"?

Then I come to carrying them. Currently, ours sit on a Fiamma bike rack. What are these Bush- somethings? And would we have to remove the Fiamma rack to have one fitted?

And what about battery charging when staying off grid. We have a solar panel, we have an inverter... but what's this Sine Wave thing I read about???? [OH has just sighed and groaned at that question and raised his eyes.]

Please can someone explain all, in terms a non technical person can grasp?

Models and retailers:

Can anyone suggest some models, assuming, say, a spend of around £1,500 or so per bike - is that realistic??? And I like the "sit up and beg" type. Step through - is that the term? And I like to be able to use bike baskets, front and rear - I twine flowers in them, very twee, but I like twee... ..

Also, where we live there are no retailers. But we will be staying in the Cotswolds for a while in July and could travel to places around the Birmingham area - can anyone recommend an outlet in that area, or in the Midlands generally? And we will be travelling home through Germany over next three weeks - but not sure we could carry 4 bikes home with us!

That's a lot to ask I know. I'll be grateful for [simplistic] guidance.

Thank you,

Gwen

Not being an Ebike person ... in fairness as I have no use for them but ... it does seem very difficult to assess correctly and similar to buying a M/H where many are not satisfied with their latest model (s).

Even if you pay the top prices its difficult other than going by what others say, even Eddie has owned several and I doubt if even he has the final answer.

Not a very informative reply sorry.

Will

Yes, I understand that what suits one will not suit another. And, indeed what you may think would suit you, you find does not.

However, what I am seeking is not a definitive "must have model" but an explanation about cranks... eco ride.... and the like. And suggestions of possible buys.

As it happens, this is what I would like:

http://www.roodog.co.uk/shop/polka-dot-electric-bike/

A blue polka dot bike. I like the style - very Cath Kidston!

Whether or not it is technically a good buy I have no idea whatsoever. But I like the look of it! Any comments anyone????

Guest JudgeMental
arthur49 - 2015-05-30 9:16 AM

Try this e-bike forum for info. There are users and dealers participating there.

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/forums/electric-bicycles.2/

Incidentally my wife and I have had two Freego Eagle bikes (Chinese junk) for over two years now and they have been excellent.

Ah but Freego like Wisper at the better end of Chinese hub motor bikes :-)

As for the OP just read past posts about German centre drive bikes, plenty of retailers in SE, always welcome to try ours if in London.....

ECO is lowest setting on a Bosch powered bike.

Step through tend to be heavier , you wont find one at under 20kg. A drop cross bar a better bet

Hello Gwen, we are in much the same situation as you. We bought Chinese "Junk" four years back and for what we needed then they were excellent, they have served us well and are still working well.

However, the Spanish law (or their application of it) and the fact that the existing bikes are very hard to pedal unassisted has prompted us to look at new ones. We have been looking for 12 months to date!

Onbikes in Worcester have a good range, but the ones I have decided on (Raleigh Captus) they won't have in stock until June.

I have decided on crank drive (Bosch) as they use the bikes gears to give a mechanical advantage, that makes hill climbing better and easier on the motor. They are also CE compliant, very important for Spain.

Good luck with your search.

H

Guest JudgeMental

example of drop crossbar frame....better known as a Mixte (bike pictured outside your budget)

http://en.r-m.de/bike/mixte-city/

plenty on here within budget: http://tinyurl.com/qgggzld

you just need to try some! only way you can learn..can strap a basket on anything so hardly a priority.

Will, the only eblke system I recommend are those powered by the Bosch system...just try one and you will immediately know why..that I guarantee! :-D

ebike dealers on map:

http://www.electricbikemag.co.uk/dealers.php

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/buy/electric-bike-dealer-directory/

I agree with your comments and like others, are looking to see the best model suitable for us 'nearly geriatrics' The issue with Spanish Law is a major point for us and I did raise this with one of the big suppliers at a Caravan Show. His answer was to 'put a selftapper' in the throttle so it cannot be used, however I suspect teh Guardia Civil would not be too impressed with that one. He also did state that all UK bikes would be compliant with this fact by April 2016, but whether that is true or not, I cannot say. It does mean that we are waiting until next year to see. I would rather buy a bike I can legally use anywhere in Europe rather than always be 'looking over the shoulder'.

The one thing re any bike is that the bigger the frame and wheel size, the easier to ride but if you need folding bikes, like us, then it is usually 20 inches, or nothing. Our current 20 inch normal bikes work as well as can be expected but 20 mile trips are dfinitely 'no no's' plus my knees would never make it anyway.

There are lso new models with larger batteries, which are claimed to have pretty good range, and again, th less you use them without pedal assist, the better. Plus you are supposed to be getting exercise, aren't you??

Guest JudgeMental

like I say to everyone Mike you need to get out and try these centre drive bikes. As to the law its not retrospective so throttle assist will still be OK within UK until law changes. and I can assure you without a throttle they will soon fall out of favor as even more horrible to ride!lol

if you visit busy tourist towns in Spain chances of getting pulled unlikely..as you see all sorts of electric bikes/scooters flying around.... cant speak for what would happen if touring. so risk minimal.

with a Bosch powered center drive bike the power delivery different, its there as soon as you press the peddle..plus they are not single speed, they have different levels of assistance from (Eco to Turbo) that you dial in depending on terrain. plus unlike hub motors they drive through the gears so far better hill climbing...and if a bike cant climb hills what the point of having it!lol (saw loads being pushed up hills in Spain)

Guest JudgeMental
Will85 - 2015-05-30 12:03 PM

I will follow upon that

cycling made easy in Coulsdon near you.....if around there worth a test ride. They have a very good range of E bikes as thats all they sell, but they don't budge on price 8-)

Thanks so much everyone. And to the people who have been good enough to PM me as well.

I have found that pedelec website and am reading avidly. So things are beginning to get a lot clearer. The 'fog' is clearing. It's amazing what I can learn once I put my mind to it, instead of lazily skim reading!!! I now understand that I need the hub thing in the middle and not on a wheel. Thank you for explaining the Eco mode, that is a revelation! I think I might return to earlier threads now and re-read and may understand a lot more.

As I said, we are away atm, in Austria, but internet is very good [and free] at current site so I am making good use of it and I have opened up a "file" and I have been busy copying and pasting into Word documents all the advice on here, lists of dealers from the different websites, the dealer mentioned in Worcester, and ideas of bikes to have a look at / try out.

Dear Husband read the technical spec for the polka dot bike I mentioned up thread and he has dismissed it, saying that it is no better than what we have [btw, we have Powacycles Windsor - they have served a purpose and made us keen to improve].

I take the point about step through... but DH is chortling at the image of me trying to clamber over a cross bar - Clumsy is my middle name .... I need to try some as you suggest. I like the look of that "mixte". The budget can, [probably will?] expand. The suggested Raleigh model has been duly noted.To answer another point - we don't need folding bikes, so we are not considering any atm.

Thanks for the offer of a try out. We will be in London at the Crystal Palace Club Site in July as it happens. Also during July we will be staying in Bath [so can take in the Bristol dealers], and the Midlands, so we will spend time looking and testing. I note that one site mentions a dealer in Aberteifi. That's not so far from where we live and we often head that way for a day out. I am not aware of it, so that's a surprise. We are in no immediate hurry - we want to buy in time for our intended trip to Spain next January, but we don't want to rush into purchase, which is why I started researching now so we can spend the summer looking around.

Once the decision has been made, I'll report back, but it will not be for a while!!

Cheers, and thanks everyone,

Gwen

JudgeMental - 2015-05-30 2:03 PM

like I say to everyone Mike you need to get out and try these centre drive bikes. As to the law its not retrospective so throttle assist will still be OK within UK until law changes. and I can assure you without a throttle they will soon fall out of favor as even more horrible to ride!lol

if you visit busy tourist towns in Spain chances of getting pulled unlikely..as you see all sorts of electric bikes/scooters flying around.... cant speak for what would happen if touring. so risk minimal.

with a Bosch powered center drive bike the power delivery different, its there as soon as you press the peddle..plus they are not single speed, they have different levels of assistance from (Eco to Turbo) that you dial in depending on terrain. plus unlike hub motors they drive through the gears so far better hill climbing...and if a bike cant climb hills what the point of having it!lol (saw loads being pushed up hills in Spain)

Dare I suggest that without being a 'doom monger' that minimal risk is fine until you are the exception. Here in Spain one can ride a normal bike without a helmet 'in town' and many people both expat and local do so, but outside a built up area a helmet is required and some have been stopped here while riding from one village to the next even if it is only a matter of a hundred yards or so, and questioned. No fines as yet, but they are getting more stringent and if it is the Law that a self propelled e bike is classed as a moped, then I personally would like to be on the right side of the Law.

Guest JudgeMental

Life all about risk and risk assessment, you do it daily without even noticing your doing it Dave:-) While i agree its safer to be 100% within the law especially in a foreign country, the things I saw being ridden in Benidorm this Spring makes me think no one is taking much notice....

Gwen you are in the perfect place to try e bikes as they are very popular in Germany/Austria. have a look around online for a shop if you have time. Crystal Palace about 10 mins from us, away to Italy around 21st July. If you can wait and not in a hurry best time to pick up a bargain Bosch powered bike is from September onward or near Christmas as new 2016 bikes are out so they do deals on 2015 bikes...best deals in Germany so no surprises there!

listen to your hubby..the poka dot bike not a real step up!:D

Archived