Planning trip to Norway - any tips?

Ian-in-gsy

We've just bought our first motorhome, and for our second trip away in it we're planning to drive up to Norway.

We're struggling to find any good guide to campsites there. Anyone got any recommendations?

Also be interested to hear any other tips about camping in Norway? We're thinking we'll do a fair amount of wild camping as it's supposed to be very easy to do there, but would appreciate hearing about anyone's experiences.

Thanks.... Excited and nervous about our first long distance trip....

Ian :-S

Ian-in-gsy - 2015-05-31 10:22 AM

We've just bought our first motorhome, and for our second trip away in it we're planning to drive up to Norway.

We're struggling to find any good guide to campsites there. Anyone got any recommendations?

Also be interested to hear any other tips about camping in Norway? We're thinking we'll do a fair amount of wild camping as it's supposed to be very easy to do there, but would appreciate hearing about anyone's experiences.

Thanks.... Excited and nervous about our first long distance trip....

Ian :-S

Hi Ian - and welcome to the forum.

You need to spend as long in Norway as you can - as there is so much to see.

Don't plan on touring the fjord area before early June as many of the roads will still be impassable because of snow - or check road conditions before you go ( obviously changes from year to year ).

Off site camping is very easy - the further north you go the easier it gets.

It's a few years since we were last there but there was more restriction on off site camping in the south, as there are so many more visitors there.

( By " south " I mean south of Trondheim. )

Plenty of ferries across fjords - if you van is over six metres you will pay much more than under six metres.

Many ferries took cash only - don't know if that is still true.

Don't plan on getting anywhere very fast as you will spend a lot of time stopping for photos ! - and many roads are quite narrow.

Have a good trip.

;-)

Thanks for the reply. That's very helpful. We're going mid July so hopefully the roads will be ok by then.

With regard to the ferries/bridges, we read about the 6m plus price difference. Our amid 5.99m, so ok there, but we've got a Fiamma bike rack on the back. Are they very stringent about length - will their rack be included and tip us over the 6m, or will they focus on the van length without the bike rack?

Thanks again for your advice.

Ian

Our trip to Norway a few years ago we did not use any campsites as there are plenty of places to stop in Norway Finland and Sweden.

Do be aware that mileages are huge and it it a very long way from entering Sweden to the Nordkapp if you intend going that far and the roads are in the main not fast dual carriageways.

Campsites like many things in Scandinavia can be expensive but some will let you fill up with water and empty the loo for a reduced charge if you ask which is not too bad in most cases!

The further North you go the lighter it stays later into the night and if traveling into the evening you may come across groups of vans parked up somewhere scenic and it is often easy enough to join them.

We used only this book which covered all our needs at the time -

https://www.vicarious-shop.com/Camperstop-Europe-2015.html.

This one was not around when we went but when we go again I will buy it.

https://www.vicarious-shop.com/Nordic-Camper-Guide-Scandinavia-2015.html

A good source of drinking water taps, emptying facilities and laundry are Marinas of which there are plenty about but you may need a variety of tap connectors, some ingenuity and quite long hoses at times!

I would also suggest you keep your fuel tank topped up ( at least half a tank ).

We didn't have any trouble finding fuel supplies but some in rural areas tend to close early - as some were simply shops with a pump outside.

This applies mainly the further north you go.

;-)

Ian-in-gsy - 2015-05-31 11:04 AM

With regard to the ferries/bridges, we read about the 6m plus price difference. Our amid 5.99m, so ok there, but we've got a Fiamma bike rack on the back. Are they very stringent about length - will their rack be included and tip us over the 6m, or will they focus on the van length without the bike rack?

Ian

...technically, you will be over, and must be ready to pay the higher price.

Our experience under similar circumstances, however, was that if you didn't volunteer the length of the 'van at time of paying (at least when fares were collected on board) it was invariably charged at the 6m rate. :-)

(It was a few years ago though).

I'd suggest you research the methods of pre-paying (or at least registering a credit card) for the toll roads). There aren't a huge number of them, but I think you will hit one or two you can't/won't want to, avoid.

malc d - 2015-05-31 2:24 PM

I would also suggest you keep your fuel tank topped up ( at least half a tank ).

We didn't have any trouble finding fuel supplies but some in rural areas tend to close early - as some were simply shops with a pump outside.

This applies mainly the further north you go.

Absolutely right!

We left Norway into Finland with a little under half a tank thinking that fuel is cheaper in Finland and that there was bound to be a filling station within 150 or so miles - wrong - it was 160 miles and I would have had to walk the last five had not a very charming Finnish lady who was on her way to work in the filling station given me a lift and lent me a 10 litre can!

Carrying the can full of diesel back to the van was something of a pain though as nobody gave me a lift back!

She said don't worry it happens all the time but as I was the first English person she had met to run out of fuel she was glad of the chance to converse in English - so was I !!

It was a hot dry day and the mosquitos in Finland are as big as wasps!

Shan't make that mistake again, at least whilst there are plenty of other mistakes I can make!

Hi

We are 5.99 so did NOT takes bikes specifically to avoid any charges. I have to say we did not miss them touring Sweden and Norway. We wither walked or bused into cities. The walking trails we used were not bike friendly.

Others may disagree but for us not taking bikes was the right decision. With the number of ferries, sometimes several a day, it could be very expensive.

I agree with Trackers book recommendations, we stayed in campsites about every third day. Also used some marinas, especially the one in Oslo ( the one place a bike would have been useful)

Some ferris and bridges have a number plate recognition system. You have to be signed up before you go. You put money on and they refund any not used a couple of months later. these are only a limited number but it's worth doing.

Most other ferries take credit cards, only one insisted on cash.

The camping carnet you use in Europe isn't recognised in Scandinavia and some campsites insist you have one. I cannot remember the name of the one required but we purchased at the first site that insisted and it worked out a good investment.

We went early, out mid May and back mid July. Across bridge to Sweden, up coat, across to Lofoten Islands and back down Norway. No problems with midges whilst we were there but a couple of roads still closed by snow and avalanches. Still plenty of snow in parts and we watched the Norway Ski Team practicing when we drove over one pass.

Have a great trip

Peter

This is a great website for some of the 'Tourist Routes' in Norway:

http://www.nasjonaleturistveger.no/en

We was there for a month - great memories and really want to get back there someday:

http://www.europebycamper.com/search/label/Norway

You DON'T need to sign up to their tolls system (Autopass), you simply get a letter in the post back home in the UK and pay the tolls when you return - there is no premium for this service either. The only thing to remember is to not drive through an 'Autopass' express lane if you don't have one for tunnels that you would otherwise stop and pay for.

"If you do not stop and pay within three working days you will receive an invoice by post with no extra charge. Vehicles not registered in Norway are invoiced through Euro Parking Collection plc (EPC) in London."

http://www.visitnorway.com/uk/about-norway/travel-facts/travel-around-norway/prepare-your-car-holiday/toll-roads-and-autopass-in-norway/

They are pretty strict on length - we did it in a 5.99m Adria Twin without a bike rack but WITH a fixed towbar! This required a big of haggling on occasion - we carried with us a Fiat brochure which showed the specification and the length which we needed to show twice. If you travel over the Øresund Bridge between Denmark and Sweden then this is also measured with laser measuring tools and the charge is 80 euro rather than 40 euro if you are 6 meters and over!

Make a decision early on if you want to travel to Nordkapp or not - it's a LONG way - but well worth it in my opinion. But then, so is a trip south through Finland and a return via Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania- the capitals for which a days drive apart and all have 'city camps' for motorhomes...

Enjoy!

Ian-in-gsy - 2015-05-31 10:22 AMWe've just bought our first motorhome, and for our second trip away in it we're planning to drive up to Norway. We're struggling to find any good guide to campsites there. Anyone got any recommendations?Also be interested to hear any other tips about camping in Norway? We're thinking we'll do a fair amount of wild camping as it's supposed to be very easy to do there, but would appreciate hearing about anyone's experiences.Thanks.... Excited and nervous about our first long distance trip....Ian :-S
 Our trip to Norway was Germany to Denmark  Sweden then into Norway all very easy in four months we only spent 2 nights on a campsite and that was at Geiranger ,wild camping is so easy ,we used the Bord Atlas , Camper stops and Vicarious books Aire guide.We planned nothing just went on our merry way, you will love it.

Archived