Towing a car

Glynn

I choose a motor home because I like the sense of adventure that driving my home gives and the ease of driving a single unit. What I fail to understand is why folk who presumably own a car go out and buy a expensive motorhome and then buy another car to tow behind it. I understand the convenience of nipping into town or to the pub but why not spend a great deal less money on a caravan with the same spec and use the car you already own?

Later edit: - I've just seen the April thread which touches on this and I think I understand the "occasional use" motivation now.

Maybe you houldn't assume that your reasons for buying a MH are everyone's? Even among those who tow a car there will be varying rationales and varying patterns of use.

For example we tow a car and use it if we're staying on a site for a while but we also sometimes abandon it for a while (usually storing car and trailer on the site we've been using) when we want to use the MH on its own to do some touring. It works for us.

And of course not everyone looks for the cheapest solution.

Glynn - 2015-05-31 4:16 PM

I choose a motor home because I like the sense of adventure that driving my home gives and the ease of driving a single unit. What I fail to understand is why folk who presumably own a car go out and buy a expensive motorhome and then buy another car to tow behind it. I understand the convenience of nipping into town or to the pub but why not spend a great deal less money on a caravan with the same spec and use the car you already own?

Later edit: - I've just seen the April thread which touches on this and I think I understand the "occasional use" motivation now.

. We too bought our latest motorhome for the freedom and comfort it promised, however after 2 seasons of touring (in the UK) we have found that excessive parking restrictions, height barriers etc., were interfering with our enjoyment, I'm not talking 'overnighting' but ordinary daytime parking, wife is disabled so, cycling,public transport and long walks are out. We decided to buy an A- Frame and take our 'everyday' car with us (a Yaris), you can't tow much of a caravan with one of those ! After 18 months use we have found that it has perfectly solved our problems, don't want a caravan or a trailer thanks, What is good for one doesn't always suit others, thank goodness we all have a choice. We have no wish to tow the car on the Continent, and my van doesn't have the towing margin for a trailer. Far more stable than towing a caravan.In my experience.

Archived