Overnight parking at the menim gate,ypres

trickydicky

Hi, stopping in Ypres for one night soon to visit the menim gate. Have heard that there is overnight parking nearby for m/h's.does anyone Know the directions or better still, GPS co ordinates please. I know there is a campsite nearby but we are not sure exactly when we will be there so can't book anything and it might be full if we just turn up.

You actually drive up to the Menim gates and then turn left alongside the canal, coming from outside the town, past the coach parks and there are spaces on the left at the end before the sports hall.

You need to be at the gates very early to see anything at the 8pm last post.

The campsite in Ypres is fully automatic so you do not need to worry about getting thereby a specific time. You need a credit card to enter details before you can access the site but once inside it has all the facilities you would need.There are approx 15 pitches allocated for motor homes. It is about a 10-15 minute walk along a path through the fields to the Menin Gate.Take a torch for the return trip in case there is no moonlight.The site is about 14e a night from memory, we were there last October.

If you want something to eat and drink before or after the ceremony there is a good Irish bar 100 yards down the road to the left ( looking from the town) of the Menin Gate.

Allow time to look around the Museum in the town, it is very informative and educational but it may make your blood boil!

Enjoy your trip

Bob

Hi

We regularly use the Ypres site. 15eu a night plus 4 euros return deposit for entry card. Good showers and free wifi, plus we can walk into town for Belgium beer and stock up on Belgium chocolate.

We have stayed on the road next to the canal but prefer the campsite as good value.

Peter

Aire Do not approach from the Menin Gate end of this street, it has been closed of half way down . To get to the Leisure centre on Leopold111 Laan , you need to get to Zillebekevoetweg this road is off the ring road N37, there is a roundabout with a very large Water tap in the middle

These are the co ordinates for the lower end of leopold laan 50°50'38.62"N 2°53'55.15"E If you want the campsite do not turn into Leopold laan, carry on about 200m then turn leftt into Bolwerkstraat the camp site is at the end of this road

tap.jpg.941a17c21bec131eb602f604c4bd04e3.jpg

Campsite Jeugdstadion has more facilities than just the motorhome hardstandings.

We stayed a couple of nights the year before last, but could only book one night on arrival. When the site operator arrived we had a word & found that all the motorhome pitches were booked for the next night, which was why we had not been able to book. But for another couple of Euros over the motorhome rate, there are larger pitches through a second barrier at the end of the tarmac motorhome bays & we moved there for the second night.

In future I will pay the couple of Euros extra & just go into the camping area, as the motorhome pitches are tight, whereas the camping pitches are larger & grassed, with those perforated concrete slabs under the grass to prevent sinking in. The camping pitches are nearer the facilities block and being further from the entrance, road & local industry are quieter. I wondered why many people were congregating by the (closed) site office until I twigged they could pick up free wifi there - my booster was able to get a good signal from the camping pitch too.

Walking in to the Gate, you go along the road where some vans were parked - but they were just parked at the side of the road, not in "off street" bays & one was verging on blocking access to a house driveway. I have no problem with using stellplaetze etc, but would not have fancied stopping there just to save 14/16 Euro night.

As others have said, the Gate does get very busy so best to arrive early if you want to under the arch. It is easy to spend a full day looking around the town - the Flanders Fields exhibition is worth a look - and there are many places to eat.

Archived