Long Vacation 2016

Gillx028

We are relatively new to motor homing and are off for four months next year, planning to tour France. Are there any must see places and stops that anybody could recommend. We are still in the planning stages, the practical side of things we are ok with, its the" where shall we go" side of things that we would appreciate any advice with.

many thanks

That rather depends on what your likes / dislikes are.

Mountains / beaches / gorges / chateaux /rivers / cities - France has them all - and it's a pleasure driving around to see them ( most of the time ).

You can even choose your climate !

;-)

We were brand new motor homers last year and did 10 weeks from Calais around Normandy, Brittany, The Loire Valley and the Vendee and back to Calais. Already new Brittany but surprised by how we loved inland Normandy. We booked the first night and then just went where the mood took us.

I made a note of where we stayed and what we thought of it and I will try and attach it to the post.

A word of warning, if you can avoid August by the coast you should. We had to be away in August and it was very busy

campsite record.docx

We have been camping all over France for a few years in our tent and are currently looking for our first motorhome so not sure about aires. Places we have loved are: Tarn gorge region - Millau, Les Rivages and the municipal site at Le Rozier site were good. We loved the Pyrenees, camping la Natura. We often go to Ile de Re municipal site Le Remondeau but apparently there is an aire at the other end of the island which is vey good. The Ardeche region is well worth a look and we stayed at Le Pontet, St Martin. We liked the coast out from Bezier and stayed at Le Berge de Canal but I am sure there must be aires around to stop at.

We have plans to visit the Lot region this year followed by a third trip to the Tarn and in the future I'd like to visit the Auvergne.

We have been camping all over France for a few years in our tent and are currently looking for our first motorhome so not sure about aires. Places we have loved are: Tarn gorge region - Millau, Les Rivages and the municipal site at Le Rozier site were good. We loved the Pyrenees, camping la Natura. We often go to Ile de Re municipal site Le Remondeau but apparently there is an aire at the other end of the island which is vey good. The Ardeche region is well worth a look and we stayed at Le Pontet, St Martin. We liked the coast out from Bezier and stayed at Le Berge de Canal but I am sure there must be aires around to stop at.

We have plans to visit the Lot region this year followed by a third trip to the Tarn and in the future I'd like to visit the Auvergne.

Thanks for these responses, new to the site so I was not sure if I had done things right or not. we will take a look at all the suggestions. We are trying not to get too excited as we still have to work until next April, but we are going to enjoy the build up and planning.

:-D

Lots of great places to stay in France. Two places we found really interesting were Hauterives just below Lyons where you will find the Palais Ideal. It is where a postman used to walk 29 kilometres on his rounds every day and brought a stone back in his empty bag to build his dream.

There is an Aire there which you will find in All the Aires France book from Vicarious books and the Palais is fantastic & just around the corner from the Aire.

The second place we enjoyed is the Aire at Louhans where they have a massive market every Monday selling everything from fruit & veg & clothing to peacocks,pigs, geese,chickens,puppies & grandfather clocks. A very interesting place to see & the Aire is by the marina on the canal all nicely laid out & showers to be taken in the Capitainerie

Guest JudgeMental
May a good time to start a trip as weather getting more reliable in France (not the most reliable European country for weather!). Four months a long time in one country,why not spread your wings and explore further afield.....

Hi, you might also consder getting the next year version of France Passion book, which lists farms, vineyards, chateau etc where you can stay overnight, and meet the real france, ..only cost is the guide book, but you are invited to buy some of their produce..but no obligation to do so..just say hello when you arrive, and goodbye when you go..24 hour limit per stopover..

you can even practice your French language skills..!!!

Good luck and enjoy your trip .

tonyg3nwl

Forgot to mention Provence - we loved it! We went near the beginning of July when the lavender is in bloom and it was stunning. There are also lots of roman remains and the camargue region nearby . Se stayed in St Remy de Provence but travelled all over the region. Well worth a look.

The Auvergne is beautiful country - usually snow on the summits until the end of May but often very hot in the valleys.

The Gorge de Verdun is spectacular too. You can travel down to it so far by the free autoroute which is also very picturesque.

Archived