Slovenia motorways & over 3500Kg vehicle

laimeduck

I am confused! (Not difficult I can assure you!)

I have looked up the regulations and a Vignette is needed for sub 3500Kg vehicles on motorways in Slovenia. Over 3500kg and you pay by distance.

On the Slovenian tourist board site under the heading "Buses Mobile Homes & Lorries" (http://www.slovenia.info/en/faq/Vignette-Toll-Stickers.htm?faq=199&lng=2) it seems to suggest that you simply pay at the toll booth?

Can anyone enlighten me please? - and any idea of the cost?

I want to exit Croatia to Austria/Germany via Ljubljana & Villach.

I was under the impression Slovenia had vignettes that you can buy for a week, a month or a year which you can buy from petrol stations.

We are hopefully planning visiting later in the year and I took the information from the AA website, if that information is wrong would be very grateful to hear whats different.

dora_ex - 2015-06-04 1:10 PM

I was under the impression Slovenia had vignettes that you can buy for a week, a month or a year which you can buy from petrol stations.

We are hopefully planning visiting later in the year and I took the information from the AA website, if that information is wrong would be very grateful to hear whats different.

Yes that is correct, but only for vehicles up to 3500Kg! We are heavier, as I specified, hence my question>

Jeremy

At over 3500kg you fall into Class B so it's 30 euro for a week 60 for a month.

Slovenia is not cheap on motorway tolls unfortunately. When i first toured there it was entirely free so you can imagine my surprise when there a couple of years later to find tolls had been introduced. Depending how much time you are spending there it's worthwhile looking at staying off the motorways and really seeing Slovenia as it's a beautiful country.

Here is a chart showing the current rates; http://www.dars.si/Dokumenti/Vignette_308.aspx

Forgot to add, yes you can buy the Vignette at any toll booth area and also some Petrol Stations issue them.

Bulletguy - 2015-06-04 3:20 PM

Jeremy

Slovenia is not cheap on motorway tolls unfortunately. When i first toured there it was entirely free so you can imagine my surprise when there a couple of years later to find tolls had been introduced. Depending how much time you are spending there it's worthwhile looking at staying off the motorways and really seeing Slovenia as it's a beautiful country.

Here is a chart showing the current rates; http://www.dars.si/Dokumenti/Vignette_308.aspx

Forgot to add, yes you can buy the Vignette at any toll booth area and also some Petrol Stations issue them.

I completely agree about Slovenia being a beautiful country but are you sure about class B? Class 2b on the link above specifically refers to 3500 kg and below. The section for over that weight gives several payment options but I suspect for a short stay payment as you go may be easiest?

We were there a couple of weeks ago and as we're 3500 kg bought a vignette - on the motorways there are occasional toll booths. At under 3500kg you just bypass them (albeit with a lowish speed limit for a short way) but everything over that weight was signposted into a separate lane for the pay booths. Lots of cameras around as well!

Solwaybuggier - 2015-06-04 5:39 PM

Bulletguy - 2015-06-04 3:20 PM

Jeremy

I completely agree about Slovenia being a beautiful country but are you sure about class B? Class 2b on the link above specifically refers to 3500 kg and below. The section for over that weight gives several payment options but I suspect for a short stay payment as you go may be easiest?

We were there a couple of weeks ago and as we're 3500 kg bought a vignette - on the motorways there are occasional toll booths. At under 3500kg you just bypass them (albeit with a lowish speed limit for a short way) but everything over that weight was signposted into a separate lane for the pay booths. Lots of cameras around as well!

Yes i did see that but believe it's simply a 'typo' and yes i did mean 2B. There are plenty of 3500kg+ MH's touring Slovenia.

I'm fortunately under that weight and the Vignette works electronically so once on the screen you shouldn't need to wait too long to get through though when i last went through the Karawanken tunnel in 2013 there was a horrendous queue due to road works and only one side of the tunnel being open.

What i was annoyed about was the booth i went to get my Vignette from (at the Villach side) was only issuing monthly Vignettes. I asked why no 7 day available as i knew weekly ones were issued, but just got the shrug off. I was staying in Slovenia for longer than a week but did not need an entire month, plus there was other folk waiting to get theirs so i just paid up.....grudgingly!

laimeduck - 2015-06-04 9:17 PM

Thanks for the responses but we are not Class 2B.

That has a 3500Kg limit.

Hence my question?

Jeremy

Here you go;

1. For which vehicles is a vignette compulsory?

Vignettes are compulsory for all motor vehicles with a maximum gross vehicle weight (GVW) up to and including 3.5t (cars, motor-homes, motorcycles). Vehicles with a maximum gross weight more than 3.5 t (lorries, busses and heavy motor-homes) must pay tolls depending on distance travelled.

Heavy MH's = heavy prices.......we should do the same here in UK! :D

http://www.tolltickets.com/country/slovenia/vignette.aspx?lang=en-GB#articles

Bulletguy - 2015-06-04 9:53 PM

laimeduck - 2015-06-04 9:17 PM

Thanks for the responses but we are not Class 2B.

That has a 3500Kg limit.

Hence my question?

Jeremy

Here you go;

1. For which vehicles is a vignette compulsory?

Vignettes are compulsory for all motor vehicles with a maximum gross vehicle weight (GVW) up to and including 3.5t (cars, motor-homes, motorcycles). Vehicles with a maximum gross weight more than 3.5 t (lorries, busses and heavy motor-homes) must pay tolls depending on distance travelled.

Heavy MH's = heavy prices.......we should do the same here in UK! :D

http://www.tolltickets.com/country/slovenia/vignette.aspx?lang=en-GB#articles

You speak for yourself, the UK is perfectly OK without stupid tolls thankyou ! *-) Hope the M6 tollroad goes Broke....it deserves to.

Rayjsj - 2015-06-04 10:00 PM

You speak for yourself, the UK is perfectly OK without stupid tolls thankyou ! *-) Hope the M6 tollroad goes Broke....it deserves to.

I meant these folk with big hefty MH's........oops....i see you are in that category! :D

Switzerland still remains by far the best 'deal' when it comes to tolls. Just 40.00€ for an entire year (at least for folk like me!) and that figure has barely changed over the past 23 years. And of course, Swiss nationals pay the same amount which is 'peanut money' on their income levels.

I live north of the M6 toll road and have never used it. Flatly refuse to as does much of the traffic. It's been a total disaster from day one due to greedy charges.

My daughter lives near there, the original M6 was built too close to Birmingham, so the pollution around it must be way above permitted levels. And too much local traffic use it as part of the normal road system, its the same where the M4 passes through Port Talbot in Wales. But of course profit above a decent Motorway network, and while we are paying (some of us anyway) huge amount in VED the roads should stay free at the point of use. Including the M6 toll road. Sorry off specific topic.

Archived