This is it!!!

frenchman

This is it! Have rented house out, got three weeks left at work after 28 years, then me and misses go full timing, a bit scary! But looking forward to it. Didn't realise how much kerfuffle was involved in sorting out house, sorting out tax (buggers) Making sure m/home is sorted, phew! Whoever said "just rent house and go" must be on another planet! Anyhow, will be spending first two months at Parc Verger site in Limousin if anyone is about to share a bottle or two!

Will keep you guys informed as to what we get up to!

Toodle pip! B-)

Guest pelmetman

If all goes to plan we will be homeless in August 8-) ...........So may well be joining you B-) .......

In fact, blow it, everyone come on down! If you're around we could have a right old time!

Look up parc verger, quiet site but I'm sure we could change that! We are there second week in July for two months. Would be really great to meet all of you to help us on our way for full timing. If you can you can.

Full timing rules!!!!

frenchman - 2015-06-04 7:29 PM

This is it! Have rented house out, got three weeks left at work after 28 years, then me and misses go full timing, a bit scary! But looking forward to it. Didn't realise how much kerfuffle was involved in sorting out house, sorting out tax (buggers) Making sure m/home is sorted, phew! Whoever said "just rent house and go" must be on another planet! Anyhow, will be spending first two months at Parc Verger site in Limousin if anyone is about to share a bottle or two!

Will keep you guys informed as to what we get up to!

Toodle pip! B-)

If you want a stop off point on the way down we are just 10 minutes off the N10 (free road) at Ruffec. Plenty of room and a hook up point.

Mark (ex of Hampshire)

frenchman - 2015-06-04 9:40 PM

In fact, blow it, everyone come on down! If you're around we could have a right old time!

Thanks.......but no thanks!!

When more than one 'Frenchie' MH'er tells you how relieved they are to be out of their own country due to MH robberies, it's one country i avoid apart from the inevitable docking at Dunkerque. I turn left and go east.......much safer!

Anyway, all the best with your new life!! :-D

Bulletguy - 2015-06-04 10:53 PM

frenchman - 2015-06-04 9:40 PM

Thanks.......but no thanks!!

When more than one 'Frenchie' MH'er tells you how relieved they are to be out of their own country due to MH robberies, it's one country i avoid apart from the inevitable docking at Dunkerque. I turn left and go east.......much safer!

Anyway, all the best with your new life!! :-D

Never read anything like it.

Have lived in France many years and driven all over it I'd say France was safer than the UK, seeing as we in the UK seem to have to pay to stay on sites rather than free mostly immaculate village stop overs or the Aires I'd like to see what the robbery/burglary stats would be if we had free stopovers here.

Obviously in built up areas the chances of such are increased, use your head.

The limousin / Dordogne / Charente etc will be great.

Lots of village stops round there, Brantome, St Front La Riviera are nice stops, used to live there and might well be back come October.

Enjoy

Agree with last poster...we have motorhomed in France for years and love it....we are currently camped in hot sun looking out over the vineyards of Champagne at the tiny village of Mutigny. No where in the world is 100% safe...as with everything just use a bit of common sense ( I don't have any but luckily the Missus does) and don't spoil the trip by worrying. I think it was Mark Twain who said..'My life has been full of misfortunes and disasters. None of which actually happened'

zombies - 2015-06-05 12:44 AM

Never read anything like it.

Have lived in France many years and driven all over it I'd say France was safer than the UK..

This couple, both French citizens were the most recent who told me. Met them on a site in Slovenia three years ago. They full time so the OP may well meet up with them. Can't miss them as they have two huge dogs. http://oi61.tinypic.com/ju8e3c.jpg

Some friends of mine gave up MH'ing after being broken into twice. Changed their MH each time after the 'experience' but the second time was the final straw as his wife was a nervous wreck. Yes they were on an Aire but surrounded by other MH's so felt 'safety in numbers' etc.The Police were sympathetic but all they told them was there had been two other MH's broken into that same night in the area.

There are about 60 million French citizens. Between them, they own approximately 800,000 motorhomes. There are over 3,300 aires of varying types, and neraly 10,000 campsites, in France. There are also, of course, thieves in France.

However, one's chances of being robbed, whether in one's home, one's motorhome, or even one's tent, are not generally that great. The risk varies considerably with location and time of year. Busy holiday routes and destinations carry increased risk, because the thieves know that is where they will find a lot of people who will probably be off-guard, and are likely to have about them cash and items of value. Some thieves even travel to France (allegedly from eastern Europe), to feed on this bounty.

Certain places, particularly around some of the less wealthy parts of cities, also carry higher risks. So, if one avoids the peak holiday seasons, routes, and especially coastal holiday destinations (most of which are, IMO, of questionable appeal), and spends one's time out of season, in the (again IMO) much more interesting inland towns and villages, one is very unlikely indeed to be the victim of theft.

It could happen, if you had the misfortune to be in one of those places at the same time as a thief, but even then the lack of cover for theft in these smaller places raises the risk for the thief - no crowd into which to immerse themself, so higher risk of being seen. From a thief's viewpoint, they want the maximum choice of targets with the minimum risk of being caught. Small village car parks hardly provide the prospect of rich pickings.

Use common sense, keep anything valuable out of sight, leave windows and doors (and rooflights if you have a roof ladder) shut and locked, close blinds when out, look for broken glass granules on the ground (sign of vehicle break-in, and an indication that someone probably keeps an eye on comings and goings - as I discovered some years back in Lyon), and if anywhere makes you feel uneasy, go elsewhere.

Oh, and don't just assume other motorhomers aren't thieves. By the law of averages, some must be, and what better cover for stealing from motorhomes than arriving in one, one's self? Happy thought? :-(

And another thing, arrive while it is still light - so that you can make a proper assessment of your surroundings, and if necessary have time to find an alternative before dark.

None of which is, of course, applicable to France alone. Sadly, it applies pretty much everywhere, all the time.

I used to work in Southwark (London Borough of), and was surprised to be told one day by a policeman that the local crime rate was fairly low. He added that the highest crime rate in London (at that time) was Chelsea. The logic was simple. Southwark wasn't a wealthy borough, but Chelsea was. A high proportion of the villans lived in Southwark, but "work" opportunities were low, so they travelled from Southwark to Chelsea to do their "business", returning to Southwark with the booty.

So, if you stick a motorhome in a "Southwark", you have just delivered a bit of "Chelsea" to the thieves' den. OTOH, if you stick a motorhome in "Chelsea", you have placed it where the thieves hunt. So, avoid the extremes, the shabby banlieues (where the thieves are more likely to live), and the celebrity soaked resorts (to which they are more likely to be attracted), and you'll significantly lower your chances of being robbed.

Sleep tight everyone. :-)

Archived