'Van as sole vehicle

RoyH

Hi everybody, Some may remember me, was in Cornwall now in Berkshire. Couldn't afford the new house and the 'van so sold the Roadstar in January and bade cheerio ( old forum at the time, not sure if I am getting this new fangled one right yet) but missed you all. So now thinking of chopping in the car and getting a van conversion as sole vehicle. Anybody got any advice about this and suitable models etc. All opinions gratefully received. Max length for parking at home 18 feet. Toilet and washroom essential. Thanks in advance.

We ran a Dormobile Freeway (BedfordCF) for 12 years. Two adults and 2 children all over France Italy and UK. So it can be done. It did get totally re-fitted to suit our individual needs though, and a high top to replace that drafty elevating roof. But we were a lot younger in 1972. Have you looked at Timberland Motorhomes? If you like "Office" type interiors then the Murvi range might attract you. You have just missed a large motor home show, perhaps you should pencil in the next one and have a good look before you spend your dosh. Good luck C.

Hello We have a Timberland Freedom and are very pleased with it. At the moment we do have a small car as well but the Timberland being a panel van LWB conversion you could use it as an everyday vehicle as well. It is easy to drive, well laid out adequate storage, does have a loo & shower, no extra charges for length on the ferries, easy to park, etc. Motorhomer

hi,i can only speak of our own experience but i see no reason why you cannot have just the one vehicle. we have a boxer based symphony & if you accept the limitaions of its size every thing else is a plus. how many coachbuilts can you carry 8x4sheets of timber in etc, its small enough to park in most places & fairly economical. if you don't mind 5 mins of bed making it has all you could need. if we go on a long trip to spain etc we carry all our extra kit in a small trailer. we looked at larger vans but kept coming back to the practicality of a high top & being able to open that big side door to let the outside come in. there is a lot written in mmm & here by people who have enjoyed downsizing, even the editor & he's about to pick up his second one. we can't all be wrong.

Hi Roy. We downsized from a coachbuilt and back to a van conversion three years ago. The economics of running one dual purpose vehicle are obvious, and I,ve never found any problems with regards to day to day driving and we seem to enjoy our camping more enjoyable as well. You may be restricted in your choice if 18ft. is your absolute maximum length but that still leaves you with a wide selection of models that meet your requirements to select from. Howard.

Hi everybody, Thanks for the helpful replies. Unfortunately I missed NEC and have a holiday to Canary Islands already booked when Excel is on but, New Year New Show at Shepton Mallet in Jan. Feel like I'm back home again already!

Archived