Did you get it right first time?

Lizzie

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello

Yes I feel we got it right first time.

We looked for a few months decided what was important - bunk beds, garage, cab air conditioning, transit base.

Bought the first one we looked at privately and saved some money.

The only real thing that would be useful is to have the option to heat using electric and maybe another door to the garage. But that is nitpicking.

Good luck finding a van to suit you, you would probably get a better deal in winter if saving money is important to you.

Yes first time......at least as of this minute.  Bought new in 2010.....Rollerteam 600g so a large garage giving ample storage for essentials (wine, boxes of tonic. bbq etc....gin goes in large fridge/freezer...hehe) and push bikes (don't like the idea of external bike rack).  Transverse bed is height adjustable so if needs be is lowered for ease of access as we get older and possibly less agile.  Overcab bed provides extra storage space.  Dinette is not the best in terms of comfort but suffices for the little time we actually spend inside.  Having accommodation for six but carrying just us two is 'space bonus' we appreciate.  As of yet size has not been an issue in where we go.

We did a few shows and a lot of reading before deciding on what we wanted but..there's always a but.........the MH we went to look at (similar layout to the RT600G) had those brushed velour seat covers and was on a Fiat chassis.  SWMBO was not enamoured with the brushed velour and to be honest I wasn't overly thrilled at the prospect of a Fiat chassis but was prepared to be flexible if it necessary to get the living accommodation we really wanted. However brushed velour..NO WAY.  Happily at the same dealership was a new unregistered RT600G  on a Transit twin wheel rear axle chassis (2.4ltr) with an interior layout (to all intents and purposes) exactly the same as we had settled on ...and no velour.  Decision made....sold to us and 5 yrs later we are still happy with it.  Only time will tell if we have to , or feel the need to change.

We looked at a lot of PVC and coachbuilts over a period of about 18 months before buying our first van one year ago.

We saw a few options that took our fancy during this period but could never bring ourselves to make the purchase and we later concluded that something was not quite right for us and that held us back.

When we went to the Nov 2013 NEC show we looked at the vans from Vantage and immediately knew that this was what we wanted. There was no hesitation whatsoever.

The quality was top notch, the equal of anything else that we had seen, if not actually better, and the style was right for us - classy and understated.

We went for the Neo, which has a rear U-shaped lounge on the 6.4m van, which provides a lot of additional kitchen storage and worktop and a decent front lounge using the front seats and a small table. We had intended sticking to 6.00m but were seduced by the additional space and storage in the longer van. Don't know how we would have managed without this additional storage as it is amazing how much stuff we take with us. Can't understand how people cope in vans that have virtually no worktop space - don't they cook?

This van provides the option of twin singles or a large longitudinal double, which avoids the dreaded clambering over routine that a transverse double brings.

The U-shaped lounge provides superb comfort and a reasonable sized boot which allows us to carry everything we need. It is also very easy to make up the double - 2 minutes to make up and 3 minutes to put away (I have timed it).

In use the van has been even better than we thought it would be with everything in just the right place and no build issues.

Spending over £50k on a motorhome is a scary thing to do so it is great that we seem to have got it right first time. We have looked at a lot of vans since making our purchase but still nothing comes close as far as we are concerned.

Lizzie, when all is decided ask yourself can you live in a shed sized space for possibly three days at a time due to poor weather?

We lived in a caravan for 3 years when first married so were well used to the limitations and ... please note a very large number of the accessories people talk of are not required. Its amazing how one can manage on a little.

LordThornber - 2015-06-08 9:34 PM

Took 2 years to decide??????

Bugger that for a lark, I'd rather get it wrong to the tune of £20k than fart about losing 2 years of life.

Folk have dropped off the proverbial perch in that time.

Each to their own though 8-)

Martyn

Martyn

You are assuming that people just sit at home watching the telly for 2 years while trying to choose a van.

That is not necessarily true.

In my case I swam the channel, trekked coast to coast across Africa, went skydiving in the Arctic and abseiled down the side of Everest.

Bought my van when I got back.

None of that is true of course - but who knows how others spent the time ?

;-)

This has been a fascinating thread to read through and excellent for bringing in contributions from people who don't often hitthe keys - well done the OP.

We certainly didn't get it right forst time because we didn't know about payload and learned the hard way by blowing out rear tyres to discover we were overloaded. But that experience was useful and we were able to sell it and buy another without too much loss and then got much closer to our ideal. We kept that one for five or six years and sold it only because we'd stopped using it regularly because we got into motorcycle touring instead for a few years.

Third time we decided to buy a new one and used our accumulated experience to chose from the brochure so we could import and buy more cheaply but we managed to achieve that fairly well. We chose single beds because we'd got fed up of the middle-of-the- night gymnasitcs from a transverse double bed and that has worked well. We've had this one for nine years and despite looking for a change for the past ouple of years, have failed to find anything better so we're now sticking with it. Have to resist adding more toys and weight because we do totter on the verge of overload but we're learning to be selective.

The latest toy on trial is a lightweight portable electric oven/grill which comes out only when it's needed - but we did take the much heavier microwave/combination out before adding it.

Getting the right combination of features and layout is a personal (and an age) thing, so there is no point in me spelling out what suits us. I doubt if getting it right can be done on an entirely theoretical basis, as a friend of our tried to do and, having ordered a new MH discovered that he hadn't though of the value of having some external lockers. Our use of the motorhome has changed over the years, so you have to take that into account too. We've taken to towing a car (somethomes) and fortunately our MH does that painlessly, which some don't. The trailer/car combination also has some spare payload which alows us to bring back the booze which would otherwise be impractical!

malc d - 2015-06-09 9:11 AM

In my case I swam the channel, trekked coast to coast across Africa, went skydiving in the Arctic and abseiled down the side of Everest.

Goodness, the lengths people go to to find a decent dealer.

Still getting it right after 65 of years of "camping" [using the word in its widest sense].... OK, so a lot of those years were as a child in Grandmother's or Aunt's caravan, with the Girl Guides, with School ... and so on... but, even now, we keep on adjusting what we use according to the type of trip planned.

We have had numerous tents [from small dome tents to frame tents to festival tents], a campervan [the old VW split screen type, in more carefree and younger days], 2 trailer tents, 3 caravans, and 3 motorhomes.

Now, as well as our current motorhome, which is suiting us admirably, for now, and which was chosen with a lot of help from chaps on here I might add, we still have a caravan. That is put to good use a couple of times a year and is so old as to be pretty well worthless in cash terms, but "worth it" to us. Some tents are stored in a shed, although I do admit that they have not been used for some years - except by dear daughter who thinks we have "gone soft".

For us, it's not so much a case of getting it right first time, so much as what is "right" now may not be "right" tomorrow, or next year. "Camping" needs and wishes evolve and change I find.

But we love it whatever "camping unit" we use.

Guest Peter James
lennyhb - 2015-06-08 9:21 PM

wouldn't have a British van at any cost

and your wide experience of British vans comes from owning 2 Hymers *-)

Our 1st motorhome was an entry level Compass Suntor 115 best deal show price £25k after 18 months we thought we would have a fixed bed so bought an Ace Airstream 680FB which we only kept a year did not really like its size . We then bought an Autosleeper Nuevo II EK 20.000 miles in 2 years , so sold it for an Autotrail tracker RS . On reflection although the later models had more mod cons and were better built , but a lot more expensive I still liked the Compass 115 and on hind site wished we had never got rid of it , because at the end of the day it did exactly everything the newer one's did , but cost a lot less to do it. Unfortunateley due to serious back problems we no longer own a motorhome , but I do miss the freedom they allow.

Peter James - 2015-06-09 11:47 AM

lennyhb - 2015-06-08 9:21 PM

wouldn't have a British van at any cost

and your wide experience of British vans comes from owning 2 Hymers *-)

I am not SO prejudiced against Continental vans, but so far have never seen one with a layout that we could live with, IE. High beds, Fixed tables, minimalist kitchens(even on the most expensive) so it's not about cost, even the most expensive wouldnt suit ? shame, as I like their Solid construction, but didn't find their finish any better than British vans (IMO). So, 3 motorhomes, ALL British made. So far. Ray

So good to have so many replies. Now thinking we will have to consider van conversions after a couple of replies have discussed width for small lanes etc. Just recalling how narrow lanes can be in Cornwall and the little narrow roads in some French villages etc. I have just had a look at the Vantage Neo and would love to see one in the flesh - shame there are no used vans for sale! I am now off to look at Hobby and Hymer vans.

Hi all,

we`ve had 3 motorhomes over the past 10 years, a u shaped lounge, an l shaped lounge and a fixed bed.

Each time we got it right as they were what we wanted at the time. It all depends on circumstances and what we wanted to do with it.

when we had the l lounge model we started going abroad for longer periods, it became a pain putting the bed up each night so we went for a fixed bed model with centre diner and front lounge, ideal for us.

We are currently van-less at the moment but if we were to get another it would depend on where we were going to use it, however we enjoyed getting used to them all.

cheers

casey.

To be honest this is our first time. I think we got it right but I know that as we go out and about more and more we are bound to find things that we need or do not like. There is no doubt that compromise is key unless you have an endless budget.

We started looking at MHs two years ago , mainly at shows, but this year we decided to make list of the features we wanted. Here is the list of our must haves.

Fixed bed but not high up,'full size' oven and fridge. Bathroom. Swivel seats, extra seat belts, 3/4 berth.

We found a couple that fitted everything we wanted and within budget but they were over 7 mtrs long. Because of our village location with a narrow access road and reverse entry only, we are limited to 6mtrs . We found a few 6 mtr vans at another dealer and eventually chose our current MH, an Auto Trail excel 600.

We are just about to set off on our third trip, so far we love it, yes we have spent extra on extra gas bottle, water and waste carriers etc but that is no different to starting any new 'hobby'.

The compromises have been, no extra passenger seat belts, but it is still 3/4 berth to accommodate the grandchildren if mum brings them in the car. In a 6 mtr unit the toilet and shower are compact but usable if 'wild camping'.without the site facilities.

So in summary we have got what we thought we wanted. It is working for us so far albeit very little mileage under our belts. Looking forward to getting out and about and enjoying our new toy.

Lizzie, if you are interested in a used Vantage Neo they have one up for sale on their webpage. Ad reads as follows:

Pre-Owned - NEO Nov 2011 (61 plate) manual 120 bhp 13k miles excellent condition, cab air con, cruise control, Sat Nav, Alloy wheels, Leather trimmed upholstery, Fiamma awning, Avtex DVD/TV. High Vantage spec £43,950 to go!

We think we got it right every time with our 4 motorhomes and 3 caravans, and we buy with our hearts. Sure we check that it is all kosher and above board, and in appropriate condition, but if it does what we want at that time, we buy.

The point is that in we find that the things we think important, or even essential, change over time, and so far we have been able to find a new dream without losing more money than we are prepared to lose.

We now favour something that is not too long, and there has been a tendency for them to become older and cheaper with the last couple changes. Our current Pilote Galaxy could well be the one to see me out, and we still love it.

AGD

I've told this several times, but here we go again.

Before having our own van, we had rented campervans, moterhomes, and RV's around the world, so converting a t25 camper for our first went really well meeting our needs of the time, when we decided to get a bigger van an Adria Twin seemed perfect, but we where building a house when the t25 packed up and with little time to spare hired a similar WildAx, what a nightmare week that was, gf suffered terribly from claustrophobia with the transverse bed, hence we have our present van which suits us well and will probably keep for at least 10 years.

I did a list of essential points, 6 metre maximum to fit on drive, fixed bed, 3 berth for grandchildren to come occasionally, 4 belted seats for days out, oven or microwave, heating, garage and then researched the closest match, very few fitted the bill and I found one of the ones that did and bought it, and love it, it is perfect for us, not everyone's choice but fits us perfectly.

I hope you are as lucky and find your dream motor home.

Lynne ;-)

Lizzie, I endorse Don"s suggestion. The Vantage Neo being advertised on their website is certainly worth you considering. I should know-- it was our pride and joy! We part ex-d it for a new Neo just over 6 months ago. A fine van, in good condition ( even if I say so myself).

I decided to buy a motorhome on a Tuesday morning, bought a copy of MMM that day, saw a van in a local motorhome dealership the same day, didn't like the price but responded to an advert in MMM the following day, agreed to see the van the day after that 200 miles away and bought it there and then.

The van was an Autosleeper Duetto automatic, 6 months old for £25000. I sold the van 7 years later for £21000 but retained the personal number plate bought with the van worth £2000. So all in all my 7 years motorhoming cost me £2000. The Duetto was ideal for my purposes and served me well on trips throughout Europe.

Did I get it right first time? An emphatic yes.

Hi

Like many others, we went with little knowledge browsing a dealer forecourt. We couldn't afford new and also had limited parking space at home. After dismissing all the £40k plus models, we liked a 2010 Transit based compact model labelled "Evolution". See my Avatar. It was a private sale from an estate legacy over the dealer and had stood unused for 3 years with only 8000km on the clock. Pristine inside and with motorbike carrier as bolt on included. Cost £24,000.

We went for it and we are also totally happy, having put the km up to over 26,000 in the meantime.

Why "wrong" then. Dealer said "sold as seen", so we had a full Swiss stringent MOT done at a government testing station before purchase. All OK. Full Ford service - all OK. Later we caused some slight damage to the plastic skirting while boarding a northsea ferry and tried to order the spare part, that's where trouble started.

The brand Evolution doesn't exist and we discovered by looking at other MHs, that we have a Chausson Flash 02. Order part via Chausson and they say Chassis No. doesn't exist. NO CHASSIS NO. - NO PART! They won't discuss measurements or photos. (Trigano Service).

So it seems to be an accident 'write off', which was rebuilt on a new Transit base in the Czech republic. And very well it has been done too.

So, we got it right AND wrong!

The body part I'm now getting custom remoulded by "Motorhome Bumpers" on Canvey island later this summer. http://motorhomebumpers.com/ They are very helpful!

Unless someone has a 2010 Flash 02 and wants to lend me their chassis number??

Regards

Alan

Hi Lizzie, I agree with Malcolm D take advice from others but in the end you make the final choice. Loved the story above of spending the stamp duty money on a MH. We called into a dealership just for a look and became enthused. Interestingly after looking at all the available options here we placed an order for the one we first came across. It suits our needs perfectly,given that living in a confined space is always a compromise. It is easier if the weather is good then you can use the space under the awning. The other point is that it took ten months for delivery to take place due to a mix up in the ordering process in AU. During that time I read all the forum stories of problems with our particular MH. So far after 6 months & 10000 klms none have surfaced. So in summary carefully consider your needs then go ahead and buy what suits you best.
Cheers Gary

Archived