Don't go too far !!

JasmineAnders

I was told by a salesman at a motorcaravan show yesterday that his firm would not be interested in buying our 2003 van (outright sale- not trade in) as the mileage was too high. It wasn't the age that was a problem.

68,000 miles in 12 years.

Is less than 6000 miles a year too far to go? Should I just let it sit in the driveway?

Yes, he did, :-) and I think he's about right. At that age, the van will have a fairly low sale value in any case (sorry!), will be percieved as having high risks in terms of possible after-sale problems, and will be thought difficult to sell on, especially if they mainly trade in more recent models. I think a private sale, at a sensible asking price, would probably be the best means of selling.

Guest JudgeMental

what do you expect trying to get sense out of a dealer..just sell it privately and if price realistic and not to speculative it will fly at this time of year...

JudgeMental - 2015-06-09 1:08 PMwhat do you expect trying to get sense out of a dealer..just sell it privately and if price realistic and not to speculative it will fly at this time of year...

We used to average  9000 / 12000 miles a year and change the motorhome after 2 years even then there used to be a big intake of breath when we told the dealer the current mileage . Its not an ornament to sit all year on the drive its a vehicle to enjoy , so 5/6 trips touring France a year will soon clock up the miles . We were never ones just to go to weekend meets 15 or so miles from home like a lot of people do.

Guest Peter James

Dealers prefer to trade in newer vans - less chance of faults, generally easier to repair, and easier to conceal a large mark up in the higher price.

To make matters worse, vans deteriorate gradually so owners often don't notice they have got a bit shabby, wheras somebody looking to buy it does notice.

So I can well understand dealers not being enthusiastic about buying a 12 year old van, especially if their stock level is already high. Unless perhaps if it was very low mileage and immaculate.

A bit like employers not hiring anybody over 30 years old - if and when they can afford to turn them down they probably will.

No doubt somebody will want your van. But you will probably have to sell it privately to get a decent price.

Many thanks for all of the helpful advice.

Sometimes the motorcaravan world (and I have been part of it for 43 years) does seem a strange old place.

On the one had we get "experts" these days saying it is best not to buy a van until it is two or three years old so that the first owners deal with all of the initial problems.

We are told that modern diesel engines, regularly serviced, should be easily good for 100,000 miles as they were mainly designed for high mileage delivery vans.

Then at the other end we might get told that the van's mileage is too high.

Some road test reports on new models that have faults use the excuse "well it was a prototype"

It may be a reason for re thinking design features but surely not quality build faults.

In my old firm we had our best craftsman building any prototype so it was hand built and not a production line model.

Yes, maybe I should have traded in our van some while ago but it has a layout that we have found hard to beat, it has an excellent 2.8td engine and at the time that I finished paying the HP on it there was the on going furore over the various transmission problems on the, then, new design Fiats and Peugeots.

Thanks again for the help.

Archived