Comprehensive Insurance

Len Salisbury

What seems to be the average amount to pay for M/H cover by owners? I have been quoted £616 by Scenic for the coming year and I know that there are a lot of factors taken into account. Is this excessive for an annual mileage of 10,000 and 2 drivers with continental and UK cover?

Sounds expensive

However, it depends on many factors- claims,penalties,where vehicle is kept and security measures at premises and fitted to vehicle, post code,health ,value, do you include breakdown and what level of repair and recovery and onwards arrangements. Etc

Loyalty doesn't count for much and it seems to require searching out the best quote and haggling- nearly always

Seems that divided we fall

FYI after four quotes this year I paid £330 - Hymer Exsis 2006 ,no claims or penalties, second driver, full breakdown inc Europe and legal

Hope this helps your search

Fred

The vehicle is Peugeot Boxer Autocruise 2,2 59 plate. The vehicle when we purchased last June had 10,490 miles recorded and after 2 trips one to Cz and the other to Costa Brava we had done 7000 miles in 3 months so put up the annual mileage as 10,000. The M/H is kept on drive at home.

Sounds expensive, Scenic are normally one of the cheapest, just renewed ours with Comfort £286, for a 2014 Hymer Exsis A-Class, 8000 miles, £1000 audio equipment.Premium increased by £22 for increasing mileage from 6000 to 8000.

Guest JudgeMental
You don't say where you live....insurers go by post code as well. Ignore that..just saw your avatar:-) just ring around, comparison sites where discredited on tv program last night as they are fixed!

Len Salisbury - 2015-06-09 9:00 AM

The vehicle is Peugeot Boxer Autocruise 2,2 59 plate. The vehicle when we purchased last June had 10,490 miles recorded and after 2 trips one to Cz and the other to Costa Brava we had done 7000 miles in 3 months so put up the annual mileage as 10,000. The M/H is kept on drive at home.

In that case I would expect £250-£300 plus about £60 for annual breakdown cover assuming you have a clean driving licence & live in a safe area.

Sounds very expensive-just renewed ours with Safeguard:

£254 includes Fully comp insurance, Legal protection, UK/Europe 365 day Breakdown, Unlimited European travel, based on 2 drivers, 5yrs NCD £100 excess

Hope this helps-always found Safeguard ok been with them about 10 yrs now

Mike

Len Salisbury - 2015-06-09 2:31 PM

Is it because of my age I ask as I was born when Hitler came to power in 1933. Clean licence too!

I suggest you try ringing Comfort and getting a further quote from them. While speaking to them, if their premium is also high, ask (in the light of the above experience of others - ours is £333 with European breakdown; £200 excess) what are the factors loading your premium. It'll cost nothing to ask, and may be instructive.

Is this the only vehicle you own, or do you also have a car? If you have a car, have you previously insured a scond vehicle? If not, I suspect that the premium is high because the second vehicle has to "earn" its own NCD.

Comfort quote on a net premium basis, where there is no NCD as such, the premiums being calculated as though max NCD applies. This can be a bit problematic if you subsequently change insurer, as you will only get a letter (on request) from Comfort stating the number of claim free years you have had with them. That should be sufficient to satisfy other insurers that you have an NCD entitlement, but I believe some have had problems over this.

However, Comfort (with whom we have been insured for 10 years) are good to deal with, the underwriter is AVIVA (so a major insurer), and are able to offer good rates for European breakdown cover (via RAC) as well.

If you plan to travel longer term, especially overseas, it may be worth moving your home and contents insurances to them as well, as the whole package can be harmonised around the periods of time you'd spend abroad (so no problems over unoccupancy periods on the home and contents policies - subject to IMO quite reasonable premium adjustments).

Brian Kirby - 2015-06-09 4:18 PM

Len Salisbury - 2015-06-09 2:31 PM

Is it because of my age I ask as I was born when Hitler came to power in 1933. Clean licence too!

I suggest you try ringing Comfort and getting a further quote from them. While speaking to them, if their premium is also high, ask (in the light of the above experience of others - ours is £333 with European breakdown; £200 excess) what are the factors loading your premium. It'll cost nothing to ask, and may be instructive.

Is this the only vehicle you own, or do you also have a car? If you have a car, have you previously insured a scond vehicle? If not, I suspect that the premium is high because the second vehicle has to "earn" its own NCD.

Comfort quote on a net premium basis, where there is no NCD as such, the premiums being calculated as though max NCD applies. This can be a bit problematic if you subsequently change insurer, as you will only get a letter (on request) from Comfort stating the number of claim free years you have had with them. That should be sufficient to satisfy other insurers that you have an NCD entitlement, but I believe some have had problems over this.

However, Comfort (with whom we have been insured for 10 years) are good to deal with, the underwriter is AVIVA (so a major insurer), and are able to offer good rates for European breakdown cover (via RAC) as well.

If you plan to travel longer term, especially overseas, it may be worth moving your home and contents insurances to them as well, as the whole package can be harmonised around the periods of time you'd spend abroad (so no problems over unoccupancy periods on the home and contents policies - subject to IMO quite reasonable premium adjustments).

Re NCD don't know about all insurerers but Safeguard will 'Mirror' a NCD you have earned on another vehicle if you are new to motorhoming. ie if you have say 60% ncd on your car as you will not be driving it when you're driving the van they will give you 60% off the van. If you ring them and ask you have nothing to lose. They did this for me initially when I joined them

Mike

I contacted SAGA today and was quoted £622 and then on top of that came UK and European Breakdown. I have decided to stay with Scenic and do the deal tomorrow. Safeguard will only insure to 79 so what I do now is ask at the beginning of the quote is there an upper age limit saves time and effort. Saga's mileage went up every 1000 miles.

We have a one year old Vantage Neo PVC , fully loaded and paid £204 this year with Comfort - no breakdown cover included.

I am 59, live in the North East, have a maximum NCD with no claims or convictions and cover less than 5k miles per year. My wife is also on the policy with same conditions as myself.

Your quote sounds very high to me.

Len Salisbury - 2015-06-09 10:45 PM

I'm too old for Comfort and Safeguard is part of the Swinton group.

Have you tried Scenic as Lenny suggested?

Freephone number here; 0800 954 4724

I've been with them three years now and find their quotes very hard to beat. Very friendly service too. Worth considering your annual mileage too.

I am already with Scenic and find them very helpful too. I spoke to them yesterday and got a quote of £580 with UK & € breakdown. When I speak to them again today I shall ask them why I am loaded quite high in comparison to some prices I see here of you guys.

I am already with Scenic and find them very helpful too. I spoke to them yesterday and got a quote of £580 with UK & € breakdown. When I speak to them again today I shall ask them why I am loaded quite high in comparison to some prices I see here of you guys.

I decided this morning that I would have another search for a quote and came across Churchill but their online site couldn't do M/H so made a call. Glad I did because I have got cover for £511.98. A point arose regarding European Cover. Although you may have UK Comprehensive if you have not specified Comprehensive for Europe you will be driving on the lowest cover whilst there Third Party. The original start figure quote was £436 then came the extras.

Derek Uzzell - 2015-06-10 8:59 AM

It’s your age....

As well as post code i think Derek which has been mentioned.

The previous time i insured with Scenic the guy who dealt with me over the phone told me his car cost him almost £500 a year insurance. He was 53 and the car was a 2 litre Ford Mondeo. He told me it was due to the area he lived in Yorkshire and insuring a MH or Camper would be impossible for him.....even with Scenic who he worked for!

He told me there are certain post code areas which Scenic simply will not insure for.

Archived