Van going back to manufacturer

Steve928

Arrangements are underway to have my van shipped back to the factory in late September after our next holiday. It's not something that I'm particularly happy about but after 6 months of trying to get other, perhaps local, solutions to the problem (rear alignment is out and van pulls left) I've come to the conclusion that to submit to this is the only forward.

It will be a 1000 mile return journey and is being organised by the dealer and manufacturer who I presume will use their regular transport firm - I have asked for confirmation of this. What would be helpful would be if anyone who has been through this process could offer any sage advise as to how best to manage the risks involved. Starting with things as basic as whose insurance covers the van during this process? Presumably taking lots of photos of the van before handing it over would be a good idea too.

There just seem to be so many things that could go wrong and I can see sleepless nights ahead so any advice would be welcomed.

Guest JudgeMental

What is it...

Considering the issue i would want it on a low loader as they will take cheaper option and drive it..

What Make is It ? come on spill the Beans.

I would phone your Insurers and explain the situation, and ask their advice, I wouldnt rely on either the Dealers/Transporters/ or manufacturers re-assurances. make sure it is covered. Ray

No experience, Steve, but I would agree re photographs, inside and out, and would provide copies to the dealer as a record. I would also suggest you should methodically inspect the van (insde and out), with the dealer, when you deliver it to them, and get an agreed record of any visible damage (or that there is none). Do this again when it is returned and before you accept it back. I'm sure a decent dealer would want to do this in any case, and that the arrangement will be for the van to be transported on one of the vehicles that usually delivers vans to them, so all parties should be familiar with what is required of them.

Regarding insurance and responsibility for the vehicle in transit and while being repaired, I would suggest you speak to your insurer. They will, in any case, want to be told that it is being sent away for repairs and will not therefore be in its regular parking/storage space. Ask their advice about obtaining clarification from dealer and manufacturer over who is accepting liability for the vehicle while it is in their care. This would be worth confirming to the dealer in writing (not, I would suggest, by e-mail, but in a letter), just in case.

I'd remove absolutely all loose posessions and equipment from the van. Gas cylinders, tools, personal items, bits of kit (mains lead, water hoses, levelling ramps etc), so that it goes back in the condition in which it was supplied to you. Then, there can be no no disputes over things that have disappeared. I think I'd also discuss with the dealer whether to remove mattresses/seat backs and cushions, in case of accidental soiling.

I do hope this factory return will result in all your problems with this vehicle being resolved. Good luck.

Judge+Ray - the motorhome make is of no relevance as it is a problem with the Peugeot/Al-Ko chassis delivered to that converter, but if you're keen to know then just search on my username and you will find other related threads which will inform you.

Thanks Brian. I think too that it will be taken as a back-load by the firm delivering new stock and probably return in the same way along with new deliveries. I've asked that question and will be sure to get a firm commitment in that respect, which should at least mean it's being handled by people familiar with the job.

Yes, I need to speak to my insurer certainly and it'll be interesting to see if they extend cover to this situation. Then lots of photos and, and you say, communications by letter not email.

I wouldn't normally be overly concerned except for a post on another forum from an owner whose van arrived back badly scratched (from hedges presumably) down one side and the dealers only offer was to try, unsuccessfully, to polish them out. From my dealer to the manufacturer is pretty much all dual carriageway and motorway and it should be a well-used delivery route so hopefully it should be problem free..

I'll try and forget about it until September at least.

Guest Peter James
Steve928 - 2015-06-17 12:48 PM

Judge+Ray - the motorhome make ..... if you're keen to know then just search on my username and you will find other related threads which will inform you.

Would have been quicker just to type the make than all that, and then expect someone to search your posts to find it?

Mike88 - 2015-06-17 12:59 PM

Your van was not fit for purpose..

Even I disagree with that so I wouldn't fancy my chances of convincing the other parties involved. It has an annoying and easily-corrected trait that should have been corrected long ago that is all.

Guest Peter James
Steve928 - 2015-06-17 1:16 PM

It has an annoying and easily-corrected trait .

If its easily corrected why does it need a 1000 mile journey back to the manufacturer?

I don't know why you bother to post if you are not going to tell us anything about it - or expect people to search back through your posts to try and find it. if you want people to do that you might at least provide a weblink.

From what little you tell us in this thread it sounds like the U bolts weren't torqued up at the PDI.

Peter James - 2015-06-17 2:03 PM

If its easily corrected why does it need a 1000 mile journey back to the manufacturer?

I don't know why you bother to post if you are not going to tell us anything about it - or expect people to search back through your posts to try and find it. if you want people to do that you might at least provide a weblink.

From what little you tell us in this thread it sounds like the U bolts weren't torqued up at the PDI.

Should you read my opening post you would see that the reason that I 'bothered to post' was to ask advice about the process of returning a van to its manufacturer from those with experience of the process. Should you have such experience or advice then I'd be grateful to hear about it but I would appreciate it if you could try to be less antagonistic when doing so. Thanks.

Guest Peter James
Steve928 - 2015-06-17 2:11 PM

Should you read my opening post you would see that the reason that I 'bothered to post' was to ask advice about the process of returning a van to its manufacturer from those with experience of the process. Should you have such experience or advice then I'd be grateful to hear about it but I would appreciate it if you could try to be less antagonistic when doing so. Thanks.

OK I'll do it your way. If you search back through our posts you might find the answer you are looking for *-)

Simple answer, Peter, is that the matter is not yet resolved, so may yet lead to legal action if the worst happens. Plaintiffs cases aren't helped by being seen to have publicly defamed the defendent/s, nor is co-operation assisted. Steve has been a model of discretion to date, and has quietly progressed his case to the point of getting the defective van sent back to the factory. That, in itself, is quite an achievement. Personally, I am no fan of so-called "name and shame" tactics on the internet, and don't think anything useful would be gained by starting such a campaign. Doubtless he'll report on what the problem was, the outcomes, and how he achieved them, once all is (hopefully) fixed. Both manufacturer and dealer seem to be co-operating to rectify what looks to be a bit of a one-off problem, which is as it should be. It is natural for the manufacturer to want to examine the vehicle himself, if only to try to determine how the fault arose, in the interests of preventing a reocurrence. After all, shipping the van 500 miles back to the works is hardly a cheap get-out! IMO, it's going the right way.

Guest Peter James
Brian Kirby - 2015-06-17 2:46 PM

Simple answer, Peter, is that the matter is not yet resolved, so may yet lead to legal action if the worst happens. Plaintiffs cases aren't helped by being seen to have publicly defamed the defendent/s, nor is co-operation assisted. Steve has been a model of discretion to date, and has quietly progressed his case to the point of getting the defective van sent back to the factory. That, in itself, is quite an achievement. Personally, I am no fan of so-called "name and shame" tactics on the internet, and don't think anything useful would be gained by starting such a campaign. Doubtless he'll report on what the problem was, the outcomes, and how he achieved them, once all is (hopefully) fixed. Both manufacturer and dealer seem to be co-operating to rectify what looks to be a bit of a one-off problem, which is as it should be. It is natural for the manufacturer to want to examine the vehicle himself, if only to try to determine how the fault arose, in the interests of preventing a reocurrence. After all, shipping the van 500 miles back to the works is hardly a cheap get-out! IMO, it's going the right way.

Ah I see. Thanks for the explanation Brian.

Guest frankie640

Your van was not fit for purpose so I would be taking action to get a full refund especially since the problems have been acknowledged.

Agreed. I would have rejected it from the start. It's a lemon.

frankie640 - 2015-06-17 11:22 PM

Your van was not fit for purpose so I would be taking action to get a full refund especially since the problems have been acknowledged.

Agreed. I would have rejected it from the start. It's a lemon.

You would have been welcome to try that route of course, Frankie. But had you been in possession of the actual facts over there in your armchair in Utopia then I doubt that you would have. You could have wasted a lot of time and money, not had use of your van and been left with a bitter taste in your mouth - and not from any lemon :-D

Hi Steve,

I am sorry you have such a worrying time ahead, we were in the same position until a few weeks ago, and have now a successful outcome, and are collecting our new van on Monday, but when our motorhome was expected to be returned to the factory I insisted it would have to be transported and not driven, luckily we sorted out our problems a different way and I hope you are able to solve yours.

Lynne

Guest pelmetman

I wonder how many owners take the easy option, and px for another van?......... leaving their lemon for another unsuspecting sucker ;-) .............

I know my parents got rid of two lemons that way :-S .....

Without wishing to get involved, I to am a little unclear on the situation. If it is a chassis fault that requires 'factory' attention then why is it not going to Alko who make the chassis. As far as I am aware most motorhome manufacturers get the chassis ready to instal the body and I doubt they have the experience to make major modifications to it, without Alko say so. Again the OP states it is an 'easy' job to fix, but obviously that is not the case, or it would have been done already. I also assume the fault is not 'life threatening' or the OP would not be presumably using it until September, or is it off the road at this time?

Again, having in the past had a motorhome 'repaired' by the factory, I delivered it myself and collected it after the work had been done, and it was a 700 mile round trip, but I preferred to do it that way. However, to each their own.

While I hope all goes well, it does seem little curious

Dave225 - 2015-06-18 6:40 PM

Without wishing to get involved, I to am a little unclear on the situation. If it is a chassis fault that requires 'factory' attention then why is it not going to Alko who make the chassis. As far as I am aware most motorhome manufacturers get the chassis ready to instal the body and I doubt they have the experience to make major modifications to it, without Alko say so. Again the OP states it is an 'easy' job to fix, but obviously that is not the case, or it would have been done already. I also assume the fault is not 'life threatening' or the OP would not be presumably using it until September, or is it off the road at this time?

Again, having in the past had a motorhome 'repaired' by the factory, I delivered it myself and collected it after the work had been done, and it was a 700 mile round trip, but I preferred to do it that way. However, to each their own.

While I hope all goes well, it does seem little curious

In answer to your pertinent questions, the van has already been back to Al-Ko for an alignment check on their own equipment. It failed on excessive toe-out of the offside rear wheel.

Al-Ko have as yet not provided a solution and Bailey have now taken control of the case.

The delay until September is due to Bailey and Al-Ko shutdowns and my own holiday plans.

• 3 months later...

That's the van away now. A rushed unloading of all the contents into the spare room this morning after a surprise call to say that the transporter would be here at 12:00 and not later in the week as first thought.

The ECM transporter, on a return journey from delivering new Baileys further north, rolled into the dealers on time and away it went :-(

There was to be a second van going back at the same time with stress cracks in the bodywork but the owner cancelled first thing this morning and has decided to live with them. All too stressful (excuse the pun) I guess, which I can understand.

Since my last post on the subject I've continued to push to have the fault that had already been identified corrected, locally if possible, but Al-Ko UK have declined to do anything and I've had no option to submit to this further process. Fingers crossed that this brings the desired result..

The one saving grace has been that on the roads of mainland Europe the right hand camber tends to neutralise the chassis and the van becomes pleasant to drive, so over half of our 11,000 miles have been enjoyable, but on UK roads it really isn't much fun. Will keep you posted.

I doff my hat to Steve for his resilience and thoughtful public comments. Best of luck to you mate. Things seem to be happening to get the problem sorted.

Like Brian, I am not in the habit of shaming as getting the right outcome is more important than spitting feathers. I trust you sorted out the insurance. When my van was collected from home by the dealer, my insurer told me to check and rely on the insurance of the dealer and ensure the van was driven on trade plates. I was left with the impression that my insurer still covered my van but would expect the dealer's insurance to be first port of call for any claim.

Archived