Probably a stupid question.....

mikeymay

We have an Autotrail Arapaho on a 59 plate.

When we are wild camping none of the 3 pin plugs work and I was wondering if this is normal?

There is a 12v socket (cigarette lighter type) that work with no hook-up but I am confused as to why we you can buy 12v kettles, toasters, TVs, etc but not be able to use them with no hook up....?

Thanks

No stupid questions, we all start somewhere. I assume you mean the standard sockets like those you have at home. They are 240v and only work when on hook up.

When wild camping you have 12v and Gas.

You can plug an inverterr into your 12v socket, but it uses your battery up quickly.

(Or use a generator)

Guest pelmetman

Yes..............Its normal ;-) ...............

It's why, when onsite you plug in a electric cable, to make those 3 pin sockets live :-> .........

mikeymay - 2015-06-21 7:36 PM

There is a 12v socket (cigarette lighter type) that work with no hook-up but I am confused as to why we you can buy 12v kettles, toasters, TVs, etc but not be able to use them with no hook up....?

Thanks

Any 12 volt dc item will work when plugged into a 12 volt dc socket in the van with or without hookup as long as the control panel is switched on and that includes the 12 volt lights, TV, fresh water pump and loo flush pump etc. which are all powered from the same 12 volt battery(ies) as anything else that you plug in.

As a rule 12 v kettles, toasters, heaters , electric irons etc are a complete waste of money as they are so slow as to be next to useless. 12 volt TVs and satellite systems are superb these days with low current consumption and great picture quality with the right aerial and set up correctly.

Some of us never use mains hook up and we live very comfortably on 12 volt and gas power alone for many weeks at a time so it can be done if you wish.

As Richard, we too live comfortably off grid in our van, 12v is used for electronics, gas is used for heating and cooking. You can fit bigger solar panels and battery banks, but why bother as the gas system is fairly efficient at producing heat.

Went away last week and my wife spent an hour or so wondering why her hair drier didn't work when she plugged it in. We were not on mains. She's naturally blonde. We've only been motorhoming for 25 years!

I've done worse as she reminded me.

There was a very good presentation at the Peterborough Show about living off the grid. I understand these presentations will be loaded on to the MMM site - I can't see them yet - and would be worth a look.

Archived