Are mirror protectors worth it?

michaelmorris

In a recent mirror to mirror clash in a Sicilian Village, white van man in a Fiat Van didnt slow down like everybody else and we bashed mirrors. Result Transit Mirror folded back with no damage, my wife opened the window, pushed the mirror back into place and we carried on through the busy village and out up the hill to continue our journey.

White van man must have been upset, 5 or 10 mins later he caught us up and was weaving about behind us. We stopped he drew along side, his mirror was in bits, his english was as good as our Italian, much waving of arms he turned and went on his way.

cheers alan

Result get a transit base, (made in Turkey)

cheers alan

I bought a set of Mirror Guards and fitted them today. I have to say that the fit is not perfect. They come with double sided tape inserts, but, I think that they may not be in contact with the fixed mirrors. I have a vision of them bouncing off down the fast lane of the motorway. Has anyone had problems of fitting Mirror Guards?

No, mine are still as 'snug' as when I first fitted them, and they have been bashed 3 times.Did yours have the foam pads with the sticky covering? These have to be in contact with the mirror body, to do that they have to be pushed 'well on' until are.and the rubber seal surround is flush with the edge of the mirror.

alan k - 2015-06-24 8:30 PM

In a recent mirror to mirror clash in a Sicilian Village, white van man in a Fiat Van didnt slow down like everybody else and we bashed mirrors. Result Transit Mirror folded back with no damage, my wife opened the window, pushed the mirror back into place and we carried on through the busy village and out up the hill to continue our journey.

White van man must have been upset, 5 or 10 mins later he caught us up and was weaving about behind us. We stopped he drew along side, his mirror was in bits, his english was as good as our Italian, much waving of arms he turned and went on his way.

cheers alan

Result get a transit base, (made in Turkey)

cheers alan

Well there we go then. In my case (towards beginning of thread) our mirrorguarded ducato wing mirror demolished at transits wing mirror whereas in Alans case his mirrorguarded transit wing mirror demolished a fiat vans (ducatos?) wing mirror.

Mirrorguards work.

Kev

Derek Uzzell - 2015-06-24 8:39 AM

mikejkay - 2015-06-23 10:56 AM

Got by new ones on eBay :-D £47, P&P included. Brand new, had to put up with silver/grey though.

May I ask you what you bought for £47?

I didn’t think the “Mirrorguard” or Milenco mirror guards were marketed in silver/grey colour, though I understand that the “Mirror Armour” product advertised by RoadPro is available in silver.

On revisiting the “Mirror Guard” website I realise that I was wrong and that - for 2007-onwards Citroen Relay/Fiat Ducato/Peugeot Boxer vehicles - the protectors are marketed in white, black or silver. For pre-2007 Citroen Relay/Fiat Ducato/Peugeot Boxer vehicles (with no indicator repeater) only white guards are offered.

We are new to motorhoming and we have done 4 trips so far. On the second trip a transit van came within 10mm of hitting us on a narrow road. And on the last trip at the weekend I had to mount a verge to get away from another van.

I have heard about both brands of protectors, but having learnt recently that you only get what you pay for, I have ordered some white Mirror Guards.

Archived