Are mirror protectors worth it?

michaelmorris

We've recently bought a 2003 Elddis Autoquest 200. Several websites advertise mirror protectors at around £95 a set. Are they worth it or are they just a solution in search of a problem?

How often do mirrors actually get damaged?

Has anyone here had an accident where the mirror protectors actually prevented damage to the mirrors that would otherwise have cost them substantially more than the cost of the protectors?

Thanks

Yes,and yes. My set have been hit 3 times, on one occasion the indicator lens still got broken, but the main mirror body survived, I think they are worth the money, thats my opinion. They make sets to fit the previous bodied Sevel vans too (X244) mine is an X250. 2 of my 'Hits; were on Main roads (admittedly in Cornwall and Norfolk though) So,Would I buy them again ? Yes. Ray

https://www.wingmirrorman.co.uk/wing-mirrors/fiat/fiat-ducato/fiat-ducato-2006-onwards-wing-mirror-matt-black-right-side-1

michaelmorris - 2015-06-21 9:03 PM

Has anyone here had an accident where the mirror protectors actually prevented damage to the mirrors that would otherwise have cost them substantially more than the cost of the protectors?

Thanks

Nobody can categorically state this, how would you know? I had a clash with a Lawn Rover, the mirror was knocked back flat to side of van, but no damage to mirror, if I had protectors I might well have thought they had prevented the damage.

Ours have a few scrapes over the years which may or may not have damaged the originals. However we had a definitive incident a few weeks ago on a narrow bit of road near Tintagel. A transit van, which could of stopped and waited 100m back, decided to go for the gap, big mistake. Wing mirrors clashed, ours moved back a few degrees, his lay strewn all over the road. Just a few black marks on ours which will polish out, indicator undamaged, his entire wing mirror assembly departed the van.

Kev

Whilst it appears from these anecdotes that 'mirrorguard' protectors at £120+ a pop can work, the verdict on cheap brands seems less complimentary.

My concern is that if I can buy a complete aftermarket mirror assembly inc. heaters for only £100 on Fleabay is it really worthwhile investment to get Mirrorguards?

I recently had to buy a complete new mirror at a cost of £400+ . There are a number of variants but there is no clone version of mine which is motorised for automatic folding. Others may have sensors, heating elements or radio aerials. My point is that whilst it may be possible to buy a relatively inexpensive pattern part care needs to be taken to ensure that the correct part is available and that that is what you buy.

I did not know you could buy protectors for a 2003 Ducato. I recently had to replace mine ,2003 Ducato cost quoted from Fiat £420.00 . Bought on line from the mirror man £148.00, came in box marked made buy Lucas.

kevina - 2015-06-21 11:15 PM

Ours have a few scrapes over the years which may or may not have damaged the originals. However we had a definitive incident a few weeks ago on a narrow bit of road near Tintagel. A transit van, which could of stopped and waited 100m back, decided to go for the gap, big mistake. Wing mirrors clashed, ours moved back a few degrees, his lay strewn all over the road. Just a few black marks on ours which will polish out, indicator undamaged, his entire wing mirror assembly departed the van.

Kev

Similar happened to me recently, except it was my fault. Transit parked at side of country road, I went through the gap and mirrors collided. Mine (unprotected), undamaged, his (also unprotected) hanging off van. Cost me £200, and I'm still debating whether to go for protectors or not. *-)

A couple of weeks ago while negotiating a road repair area I hit my drivers side mirror on a metal post that was out of line with the plastic posts before and after. The mirror body was rotated in towards the door and both the large upper mirror and the smaller lower unit popped out of the plastic holder. They were both left hanging by the electrical wires. The smaller item did sustain three cracks . Both mirrors were carefully pushed back into the plastic holders . The electrics were not damaged  nor was the large mirror. Other than avoiding the two dings marks on the leading edge of the plastic body I suspect that protectors would not have made any difference to the end result. It is interesting that these incidents always seem to happen at the beginning of a long trip. In this case probably around 6000 klms. Vehicle is current model Ducato.
Cheers Gary.

michaelmorris - 2015-06-21 11:43 PM

Whilst it appears from these anecdotes that 'mirrorguard' protectors at £120+ a pop can work, the verdict on cheap brands seems less complimentary.

My concern is that if I can buy a complete aftermarket mirror assembly inc. heaters for only £100 on Fleabay is it really worthwhile investment

to get Mirrorguards?

Think you are overestimating their cost a bit, I got my genuine mirrorguards for £90. a new drivers side mirror for my van is £200. For the X244 I agree the replacement costs are less. My guards are very robust plastic, more like a motorcycle crash helmet, with impact resisting foam on the inside, they could do with extra drain holes in the bottom though.I drilled 2 extra holes to stop the water sitting in the base of the guard.

I bought the cheapo Milenco ones for my previous van to cover some mirror damage.

When I changed vans I bought the same again, largely because they were there sitting on the shelf in front of me and at a good discount.

I don't seriously expect them to offer much protection though - they are quite insubstantial. I guess that makes me a cheapskate, or foolish, or both.

Getting to/from our place down a narrow track the mirrors often get brushed through neighbours' hedges. They are good as a sacrificial cover for taking these kind of scratches.

The focus of this thread is about the cost of protectors set against the potential cost of a replacement mirror assembly.

Especially when abroad, not having a wing mirror until I could get a replacement fitted would make driving (for me) an unpleasant experience.

With that in mind, I think I've finally decided to get a set.

cleddytanhouse - 2015-06-22 10:04 PM

Can anyone suggest the cheapest place to buy Mirror guards?

If you want the ‘genuine’ “MIRRORGUARD” product, I believe you will need to obtain it from the manufacturer.

http://www.mirrorguard.co.uk

The current price if ordered on-line is £120 per pair plus a £10 shipping charge. (If you buy the protectors at a Show, you’ll save the £10 shipping charge.)

For the Milenco product

http://www.justmilenco.co.uk/epages/es134997.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es134997/Products/%22MILENCO%20Mirror%20Protectors%20-%20WHITE%22

(There is an inferior copy of the “MIRRORGUARD” protector again being marketed at much the same price as the genuine article. I suggest you steer clear of this.)

mikejkay - 2015-06-23 10:56 AM

Got by new ones on eBay :-D £47, P&P included. Brand new, had to put up with silver/grey though.

May I ask you what you bought for £47?

I didn’t think the “Mirrorguard” or Milenco mirror guards were marketed in silver/grey colour, though I understand that the “Mirror Armour” product advertised by RoadPro is available in silver.

Derek Uzzell - 2015-06-24 8:39 AM

Got by new ones on eBay :-D £47, P&P included. Brand new, had to put up with silver/grey though.

I didn’t think the “Mirrorguard” or Milenco mirror guards were marketed in silver/grey colour, though I understand that the “Mirror Armour” product advertised by RoadPro is available in silver.

Don't like to contradict Derek, but I have a set of original 'Mirrorguards' in silver finish, they were purchased direct from the manufacturer 3 years ago, when they were only(!) £90 a set. They almost match the cab colour of my Autotrail. They came in White, Black or Silver back then.

You only have to feel and see the difference between the 'originals' and the Milenco version ,no comparison, don't know about the Roadpro ones ? you 'pays your money' and takes your choice. Mind you £120+ does seem a bit steep. Ray.

Derek Uzzell - 2015-06-24 8:39 AM

I though that it might have been these, a recently closed item, fitting the description and approximate price, but then noticed that they're 2 years old and not brand new so I'm probably barking up the wrong tree. Or just plain barking.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIAT-DUCATO-MOTORHOME-MIRROR-PROTECTOR-GUARDS-SILVER-/191582407609

We also,have some sliver ones purchased at the October NEC show off their stand.

Are they worth it? Yes is the answer in our experience but do make sure you get the real thing to,ensure proper protection.

We have been alarmed to see many of the less robust Milenco ones fitted to motorhomes by owners who are simply not aware of the difference. Shows the value of forums like this! We have spoken to some of these owners who have seen them advertised and assumed being from a big company like Milenco they would be OK. When they compare theirs to ours and see the difference they are less than happy.

Incidently regarding cost I'm a n ex production engineer. The fact is that without going into details the choice of material and in particular the thickness makes the vacuume forming process which I assume they use very much slower than it would be using a thinner material.

As my sons used to be fond of telling me " You get what you pay for Dad".

Archived