Stay over close to Calais/Route to Loire

mikeymay

We are travelling from Calais to the Loire and I was looking for an overnight stay on the way there.

We will be taking the following route as recommended by Google Maps

A16 to Abbeville

A28 to Rouen

A28 to Le Mans

A11 to L'Etang

We are landing in Calais about 5pm so looking for a stop within an hour at the latest.

Also, if anyone can recommend a nicer route than the motorways then I be interested in hearing it.

Thanks

What kind of stopover do you want, aire, or campsite?

Do you want to aviod just the toll roads, or all motorways? It is fairly easy to get round the A28 toll between Boulogne and Abbeville if you go via Samer and Montreuil-sur-Mer to Abbeville and then pick-up the next non-toll section of A28 to Rouen. This part of northern France is not particularly attractive, and the local roads tend to be fairly slow, but the above isn't too bad.

For Rouen, I suggest you follow this link: http://tinyurl.com/qz6tyjr and my instructions in that post. Then head for Alencon in lieu of Evreux. Once clear of Rouen, it is easy with a map, just head for Le Mans. The A11 goes from Le mans via Angers to Nantes. I don't know where this Etang place is (or is it the name of a campsite?). But, just follow the map or, if using a sat-nav, tell it to avoid toll roads.

The autoroutes are quick, but expensive in a motorhome (Class 2 min). It is a matter of prioritising in favour of time or cost. Most non-toll routes will take you to, and often through, towns, which will slow you down a bit. However, a lot have by-passes. Most roads are well surfaced and, with the exception of some "N" roads, surprisingly quiet. The "D" roads are generally fine - but I'd be very cautions about taking "C" roads, which are often little more than country lanes. Get something like the Michelin 1:300,000 scale road atlas of France (spiral bound is the most practical), and lay out a route to suit your preferences. Calais to Nantes is about 300 miles as the crow flies, and travelling off aotoroute, you'll be lucky to average more than 40MPH in a motorhome. France is a larger country than most people expect it to be!

Hi Mikeymay

done this route many times and you are spoilt for choice on a stopover.

My 3 favourite ones are Ferme L Horlage at Tardinghen just about 20 mins form the tunnel/ calais lovely farm site aire, go round the back of the big barn for EHU and best views only 5 euro to stop plus water 3 euro if need it and wc clean out 3Euro or there they have list of other local sites you can stay at for 5 euro. Its junction 36 of A16 GPS is N50degree 51.771 E001degree 38.955, or if want to go further there is a freeAire stop at st Saire nr Neufchatel en bray, its a free stop was there 2 weeks ago, lovely village, just be ware of the lorries starting up at 6am as its near some yard but otherwise brill, both in vicarious aires book, after that you have the one in Neufchatel itself on rue st Claire close to aldi and lidl which is a great Aire with wifi too for 12euro. I also avoid the tolls after rouen and go to Evereux and Dreux on free dual carriage ways and then on to Chatres and Vendome on N10 or cut across to Le Mans- as the toll takes a chunk out of holiday money and its a nicer route, though obviously not as fast, but its France and worth seeing! If you are staying at Camping Letang at Brissac Quince know it well have stayed in the campsite and also on the Aire there as its a lot cheaper yet you can use the pool and all facilities too- how great is that! most of all ENJOY and have great time

With the ACSI card most of their campsites are €14/16 with hook up and often a pool, the scheme finishes in a couple of weeks but you can stay in relative comfort for about the same as a car park. I use aires when necessary, but parking behind Lidl or with a load of lorries is not my idea of a holiday.

Just my preference.

There are a number of sites within an hour of Calais, last year I was at Equihan Plage, this year I stayed at the Drum in Ashford and crossed early, making it to Chartres for the first night. I used the motorway to Abbeville to clear the coast, and then set the sat nav to "no tolls".

A number of good municipal sites along the Loire, Chinon and Chaumont are next to the chateaux.

Plus 1 for Neufchatel en bray

Choice of campsite or the adjacent aire and located on a disused railway line which is ideal for walking or cycling. Nice and quiet and good place to stock up the fridge. We have stayed there 3 times now and one of our favourites.

mikeymay - 2015-06-22 2:56 PM

We are travelling from Calais to the Loire and I was looking for an overnight stay on the way there.

We will be taking the following route as recommended by Google Maps

A16 to Abbeville

A28 to Rouen

A28 to Le Mans

A11 to L'Etang

We are landing in Calais about 5pm so looking for a stop within an hour at the latest.

Also, if anyone can recommend a nicer route than the motorways then I be interested in hearing it.

Thanks

Do you mean l'Etang de la Brèche near Saumur? Lovely site, I have stayed there several times. Huge pitches - we sometimes have had my 6.5m and relative's 8.5m m/homes on the same pitch.

I don't know how fast you drive but I usually take one hour to autoroute services just before A28 so I think maybe one and a half hours at least to Neufchatel en Bray. The campsite there is nice too.

Archived