Cadac Safari Chef (LPG)

Bailey

Hi

I am looking for an alternative method of cooking from the Gas cooker/hop and would like something other than a basic BBQ. I had an old George Foreman Grill (low voltage) which was great but has seen better days and anyone of the newer ones seem to be around 2000 watts which I assume is too high for most sites. I wonder does anyone have experience of the Cadac Safari chef unit.

I have a safari chef which I bought for the same reasons as you have.do I like it.......um, not sure. It is ok for boiling a kettle or pan, fine for using the lid for curry, bollanaise, etc. the problem is you can only do one thing at a time,so if you are boiling veg you can't grill/ fry the meat at the same time,which usually results in me running back and forth from the chef to the cooker etc ! Also it takes a lot of cleaning, my husband hates it,as he's the one who does the washing up. I don't think I would buy one now I know the pros and cons.

Oh,and also, there's no way to tell how high/ low you have the burner and when your cooking you can't see the flame. Hope this helps with your decision.

trickydicky - 2015-06-22 8:24 PM

Oh,and also, there's no way to tell how high/ low you have the burner and when your cooking you can't see the flame. Hope this helps with your decision.

Completely with you on this. Not so bad when you want the flame up high, but when you want it low, you (well, me), invariably turn it off altogether.

Still use it though, but would like something more user friendly.

We have had on for 5 years and use for almost every meal. Yes we have to boil potatoes and veg in the van but for one dish meals it us great. Once you grt used to it yoh czn tell from the knob position how bis tne flame is. Mostly I cook on full all the time. To save cleaning I wrap tne cooking plate in alluminium foil each time I use it. The other bits usually need just a rub round with the dish cloth. A typical meal we would cook for the two of us would be a cut of meat, mushooms, onions done on the cadac and potatoes beans or pasta done in the mh. Pasta, stir fry and noodle dishes are simple and can be done using only the cadac.

I did modify tne cadac slightly by attaching a wind break around a third if the circumferece, as in windy conditions the heat was blown out of the flame and cooking time was too long.

I've got a Cadac Safari Chef, I also have one of those gas cylinder brief case single burner booker for between £12-£16 I use the vans pans on it, it is easier to clean and can even sit on the table while you eat. would much rather have this than the Chef.

Caroline :-D

Archived