Awning groundsheet confusion

michaelmorris

We're new to motorhoming. We've just bought a secondhand driveaway awning but it didn't come with a groundsheet.

Doing some reading up I discover that some campsites only allow awnings if you have a breathable groundsheet, I presume they mean something like this.

http://www.campingworld.co.uk/en/Outdoor-Revolution-Liteweave-Groundsheet-Carpet/m-14686.aspx?gclid=CJyFh8uGrMYCFTDJtAodTYsLWQ&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=UnitedKingdom

I have two questions.

1 - If these groundsheets are woven and breathable I presume that they are not waterproof, is this correct?

2 - Why do camp sites insist on breathable groundsheets for awnings, but not for tents?

Thanks

The reason they ask for breathable groundsheets is so that you don't spoil the pitch for the folk coming after you, even with a breathable sheet the grass will still yellow if it is not lifted after a few days, but at least it doesn't turn into a bare patch of mud. At the back end of the season many pitches will have a patch of mud alongside them,where awnings have stood and groundsheets have not been lifted. I usually ask for a hardstanding after the end of August.

Archived