Selling a motorhome privately - good idea?

multiplamum

A no brainer.

People sell cars don't they? What is the difference?

I've read on here about folk going to unbelievable lenghts to complicate matters regarding getting paid, dodgy money scammers etc.

Here's what I do.

Advertise item on eBay.

Agree a price.

Meet buyer at a branch of my bank.

Pay cash in and let bank decide whether all is well.

All is ok.

Hand keys and documents over.

Go and negotiate substantial discount on next van or car for not part exchanging.

I repeat, this is what I do. If it's (or any part of it) not your bag, get someone else to do it. Failing that, let the dealer walk all over you.

Martyn

Ebay classified, only take payment by bank transfer.

Cash is dodgy even if you pay it directly into the bank, they can still debit forgeries back when they cash up at the end of the day, if you do take cash don't let the van go until the next working day & check with bank first.

Since the introduction of Faster Payments, online transfers can not be recalled, but if you are worried transfer it immediately into another account.

We sold our last 2 motorhomes on e-bay no problems , we had our last one with a broker which is locked in with them for 90 days , no interest during that period , so put it on e-bay and had loads of interest and sold it once the buyer had sold his . Money passed over by bank transfer , insurance and RFL done over the internet at my home all sorted once funds were in my BS account both parties happy with the sale . E-bay £14.99 for 30 days with 12 photo's easy to do , but just watch out for scammers.

I have bought three motorhomes of ebay. And have sold two. Just be aware that you need to take good pictures inside and out.be honest with buyers and yes money transfer. My autotrail came from a private seller and downsized to a pvc and as the dealer was going to give me the same price as i pay for the van i px it.michael

Hi.

We all do things differently,we have just sold our Nov 09Adria Coral through a broker,we chose this way for two reasons,they did all the marketing,all the filtering of time wasters,we are very senior now and are wary of scammers,crooks etc.we didn't want every Tom dick and Harry coming onto our estate.

The broker did everything,very professional ,sold on second viewing for 33 K,this was 1k below valuation and asking price. We tried four dealerships,they all looked in guide and all offered 25k. So after commission,fixed,we are 5K £500 better off,money paid securely into our account.

Van was checked thoroughly,no come backs,it suited us but not everyone,we now have new caravan bought 2.5 K below retail!

Finally,just joined caravan talk,so it's goodbye from me,thanks for all the tips I've picked up over the years,Dave.

For those who have the energy and talent (and perhaps also the toughness) for selling their own motorhome there are perfectly viable ways of doing so, even though selling privately makes it more difficult to offer the buyers the sort of financing they may need for their purchase. Nothing wrong with trying to do it yorself if you think you can and you take care to avoid unnecessary risks.

But if you want a professional to do it all for you then he will have to be paid, not least because he uses premises etc which cost him money. And if you want him to put up his own money, so that you get paid for your MH straight away, it will cost you more that if you wait until he sells your MH to get your money, i.e. than if he sells for you on commisssion.

Some people are determined to prevent anyone else making any mney out of disposing of their MH and good luck to them, but if you can find a dealer whom you can trust to sell on commission for you, you might well get a better price from his forecourt than you could otherwise get and that this will more or less cover his commission.

The dealer seems to want a margin of around £5,000 on the overall deal when he buys your MH for cash but I know a dealer (who is trustworthy, established family firm) who will sell on commission for a feee of £2,000. A friend sold his MH this way recently and was happy with the net proceeds. I doubt he would have got much more selling privately.

A dealer selling for you on commission can work well if you can sort out the insurance cover. The dealers policy is unlightly to cover your van as his cover will be for his vans or vans in his workshop and at the best it would only be third party risks. Private policies nearly always exclude vehicles when on a dealers premises & certainly would if being left on a forecourt for sale.

I know its not a motorhome,but a few years back i made the a very bad buy.i always wanted a morgan sports car,and as i had paid off the morgage i was in a podition to purchase a fun car.i did so and after 400 miles i never wanted to get back in the thing. Ok we all know morgans dont drop in value.Wrong.after making around 15 phone calls to dealers with we buy morgans i found it was just sale or return.looking into this deeper i found that the dealer wins on a number of fronts.first his showroom is full of stock at know cost.2nd most wanted fees for washing,test drives etc,and a few even wanted a fee for show room space.in the end i placed ads in a number of mags and a ad on ebay.yes i did have a number of fools contact me.but after a week a number of real buyers turned up that i was happy to give my address to.one bank transfer later and the nightmare car was gone. Unless age is an issues forget dealers.michael

Lenny, I'm not disputing your comment about forgeries etc. But, I stood with the buyer in my bank, watched and waited until they had both counted and satisfied themselves that all was genuine.

The banks fraud dept phoned the bank there and then to query the amount ( which we were informed of).

I asked if all was satisfactory, the teller said yes, all is fine.

Total time taken approximately 15 mins.

No next day business, nothing. I was free to transfer the cssh immediately if necessary.

I appreciate not everyone will have the energies for private selling, but I'm very much in the 'dealer gets as little as possible' camp, I'm not a charity :D

Martyn

lennyhb - 2015-06-28 10:01 AM

A dealer selling for you on commission can work well if you can sort out the insurance cover. The dealers policy is unlightly to cover your van as his cover will be for his vans or vans in his workshop and at the best it would only be third party risks. Private policies nearly always exclude vehicles when on a dealers premises & certainly would if being left on a forecourt for sale.

Good point. It just needs clarifying. Did just that a few years back and the agreement (written) was that the dealer undertook all marketing, kept the van clean, insured it as part of his overall stock, and agreed to make good any damage/pilferage while in his care. He also agreed to provide his standard after sales warranty on the van to its new owner. After all, he had to do something for his commission! We therefore advised our insurer what we were doing and they suspended the insurance until it was sold or we took it back unsold. It sold.

To be honest I would rather just sell it to a dealer, hand over the keys and be done with it but... And its a very big but... I cannot afford to lose so much on the deal. One of these "we buy for best price " jokers offered me £10,000 less than we paid 14 months ago and we got a good deal when we bought it. We were comforted by tales of minimal depreciation when we purchased it, but hadn't factored in the £5,000 plus the dealers expect.

ebay here we come!!!

Anyone want a new motorhome??!!

It's a tricky one.... We are in the market for our first motorhome, but am very wary about using eBay....

If it's reasonably advertised, local to us, with a recent service and a habitation check, I would like to think it will be ok....

But would still rather have the comfort of a dealer.

Regards, Neal.

There isn't just Ebay, I've sold my last 2 vans on Gumtree within 24 hours of placing the advert, plus Gumtree adverts are free of course.

No need for me to repeat all the good advice above but, please, place your ad. on a Friday and not a Sunday evening! When I was in the market I couldn't believe how many adverts popped up on Sunday night, just after everyone had finished looking for the weekend and had to go back to work.

Interesting post, thanks for all the replies! - we have decided on a change, but am in a position where we don't need to rush forward, our present van being less than three years old we are edging on keeping it for another 6 months,, getting a new (it's first) MOT and then selling at the beginning of next season. There is just something physiological (for me at least) in taking that "hit" in less than 3 year.

Am a little nervous about selling through eBay (having never sold such an expensive item that way) and had mixed results for other items, but you guys help with confidence.

Good luck. Not exactly the worst time to sell, but not the best either. April onwards in my opinion is when buyers get itchy.

Being realistic about price is essential, my last sale just shy of £18000 was spot on. But only through some decent research of achieved prices - not asked.

Don't forget a buyer wants bottom and you want top and you'll be fine 8-)

Arthur Daley

Archived