John Lewis

Dave225

Just to get away from all the doom laden news......................can someone explain to me how John Lewis is repeatedly stated as 'being owned by its employees'. To my mind if you own something then you have control over it and can dispose of it as you wish, but no employee of JL/Waitrose actually owns a single piece of the Company. My wife was an employee/partner?? for a good number of years and she never ever had ownership of any of it. Her Terms and Conditions were basically the same as any other Company employee, and basically meant she was treated as a revenue earing commodity paid the lowest possible salary. Yes, there was a Staff Council but it only made decisions already approved by management, and any of the multitude of grievances that appeared in the Company magazine were invariably studiously ignored. JL is not listed on the Stock Exchange so basically it is a private Company with all the shares held in a Trust. You cannot buy/sell them. The management structure is like many others nowadays, those at the top get paid huge salaries and bonuses, the actual workers get very much less. In fact as an employee of a so-called 'non employee owned' Company I received more perks in terms of money and conditions than my wife ever did. As for the Pension, yes it is non contributory, but again pays the minimum possible, again unless you are at the top of the tree. As an ordinary partner you will never enjoy the high life if you depend on that to support you. I will not tell you what my wife receives but, you could relate it in terms of cups of coffee you can afford.

I just wish they would be more honest and not try to pretend that there is situation exisitng, which does not. Anyway, rant over aand off to spend my wife's pension at the cafe. One cup please, and 2 straws. Cheers

Guest pelmetman

Its just like the CC pretends to be a club ;-) ..............

When really its a ego trip and a nice earner for those at the top *-) ..........

I wonder how often they hitch up for a weekend away? :D .........

• 4 weeks later...
Dave225 - 2015-06-27 1:28 PM

Just to get away from all the doom laden news......................can someone explain to me how John Lewis is repeatedly stated as 'being owned by its employees'. To my mind if you own something then you have control over it and can dispose of it as you wish, but no employee of JL/Waitrose actually owns a single piece of the Company. My wife was an employee/partner?? for a good number of years and she never ever had ownership of any of it. Her Terms and Conditions were basically the same as any other Company employee, and basically meant she was treated as a revenue earing commodity paid the lowest possible salary. Yes, there was a Staff Council but it only made decisions already approved by management, and any of the multitude of grievances that appeared in the Company magazine were invariably studiously ignored. JL is not listed on the Stock Exchange so basically it is a private Company with all the shares held in a Trust. You cannot buy/sell them. The management structure is like many others nowadays, those at the top get paid huge salaries and bonuses, the actual workers get very much less. In fact as an employee of a so-called 'non employee owned' Company I received more perks in terms of money and conditions than my wife ever did. As for the Pension, yes it is non contributory, but again pays the minimum possible, again unless you are at the top of the tree. As an ordinary partner you will never enjoy the high life if you depend on that to support you. I will not tell you what my wife receives but, you could relate it in terms of cups of coffee you can afford.

I just wish they would be more honest and not try to pretend that there is situation exisitng, which does not. Anyway, rant over aand off to spend my wife's pension at the cafe. One cup please, and 2 straws. Cheers

Have to disagree with you Dave.

A friend of ours, worked for JL for over 25 years. He was allowed to retire at 53 and they pay his pension plus what he will get as a state pension , until he gets the state pension. Maybe different in Scotland ? OR maybe your wife did not work there very long. Obviously all cases are not the same.

PJay

Guest Peter James
vindiboy - 2015-07-24 10:32 AM

Just like our local CO OP that is being refurbished, all the signs are saying ,"we are improving YOUR  Co Op " it is NOT my Co Op ,it is just another shop, Marketing Crap!.

'Your M&S' is silly marketing crap obviously, but it really is your Co-op because its owned by its members. Since it has no shareholders to pay it ought to be the cheapest place to shop. But its probably the most expensive in its market. Thats what I find so disappointing about the Co-op.

Archived