More Calais disruption

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental
Tuesday morning: No Calais ferries just Dunkirk, operation stack in place again.lets keep this thread factual eh and not another excuse for a bigoted rant? 8-)

As I understand it. My Ferry Link owned by EuroTunnel have been forced by the competition commission to sell off their boats, they wanted to sell ( they said) to ex Sea France employees cooperative, ( ex Sea France boats) but said they were prevented by various reasons so sold to DFDS instead. The strikers were protesting this, fearing redundancies.

gocro - 2015-06-30 9:04 AM

As I understand it. My Ferry Link owned by EuroTunnel have been forced by the competition commission to sell off their boats, they wanted to sell ( they said) to ex Sea France employees cooperative, ( ex Sea France boats) but said they were prevented by various reasons so sold to DFDS instead. The strikers were protesting this, fearing redundancies.

cheers gocro

derek

Guest JudgeMental
Muswell - 2015-06-30 7:04 PM

Takes me back 30 odd years when there seemed to be a strike of some sort every summer. We started using the hovercraft instead.

Great days............ when workers still has a backbone :D

Takes me back 30 odd years when there seemed to be a strike of some sort every summer. We started using the hovercraft instead.

off topic. Whatever happened to that great invention HOVERCRAFT ?? that could land on almost ANY beach, and didn't need expensive and limiting dedicated harbour facilities ? Why are we still using slow old ferries ? Ray

Rayjsj - 2015-07-01 11:41 AM

off topic. Whatever happened to that great invention HOVERCRAFT ?? that could land on almost ANY beach, and didn't need expensive and limiting dedicated harbour facilities ? Why are we still using slow old ferries ? Ray

..I thought they were supposedly expensive to run and too easily disrupted by weather conditions?...

(..I'm impressed that Muswell has his own hovercraft! 8-) )

Guest JudgeMental

Or the fast cat

pepe63 - 2015-07-01 11:46 AM

..I thought they were supposedly expensive to run and too easily disrupted by weather conditions?...

(..I'm impressed that Muswell has his own hovercraft! 8-) )

In my teens I actually did build a model hovercraft which ran with a 2.5cc engine.

The Hovercraft was quite expensive and also very noisy inside. On our last trip we arrived at the Calais, or maybe Boulogne terminal, with very strong winds across northern France. We were told there would be a delay while passengers from the other terminal were bussed across because that crossing had been cancelled because of the weather. That was a clue as to what was to come. It was so rough that all you could see was waves or spray, the motion seemed to be completely random and people started being sick. Soon the toilet floor was covered in vomit. Then the woman in front of me passed out which freaked out her partner. The cabin attendant said it was because she was hyperventilating in a panic attack and she had to breathe into a paper bag to reduce the amount of oxygen. Then someone else did the same. At least it's only 45 minutes I thought. Wrong. Someone had got his ferry into trouble at Dover so we ended up parked outside which added an extra hour while they sorted him out. It was actually quite scary because the motion was so violent and unpredictable. We were the last crossing that day. Maybe they had a rule of thumb about how much vomit and passed-out passengers was acceptable :-D

On our last trip we arrived at the Calais, or maybe Boulogne terminal, with very strong winds across northern France. We were told there would be a delay while passengers from the other terminal were bussed across because that crossing had been cancelled because of the weather. That was a clue as to what was to come. It was so rough that all you could see was waves or spray, the motion seemed to be completely random and people started being sick. Soon the toilet floor was covered in vomit. Then the woman in front of me passed out which freaked out her partner. The cabin attendant said it was because she was hyperventilating in a panic attack and she had to breathe into a paper bag to reduce the amount of oxygen. Then someone else did the same. At least it's only 45 minutes I thought. Wrong. Someone had got his ferry into trouble at Dover so we ended up parked outside which added an extra hour while they sorted him out. It was actually quite scary because the motion was so violent and unpredictable. We were the last crossing that day. Maybe they had a rule of thumb about how much vomit and passed-out passengers was acceptable :-D

Great yarn Muswell, sorry it has not quoted you for some reason :-D :-D

Martyn

Was booked on Calais to Dover yesterday but still in France till at least Friday morning.Spent last night on a French Passion site a Cider makers and now on a pitch at Camping Pommiers des Trois Pays on a plot of land with by total chance 3 other Auto Trails.Sun is shining and the beer is flowing so cannot be bad LOL.Joking apart not sure when we will get back as not much news about the strike over here.

Hi, we returned to UK yesterday via Eurotunnel from Calais. On our way to the terminal we passed several miles of parked lorries etc it was chaotic, obviously the French don't have an equivalent to our "Operation Stack"

Once at the terminal It wasn't too bad for us as our departure time should have been 10.50am so we're there for about 10am as had dog with us and needed to get her passport checked etc. at that point the message was that there had been an incident earlier and things were two hours behind schedule .

Once dog was sorted and passed as ok to return to UK we went to wait as instructed. The message at this time was there was one hour delay. We waited in the warm sunshine outside until told to make our way to boarding, we actually left an hour later than we should have which under the circumstances wasn't too bad.

When we left the UK three weeks previously there had also been an earlier incident so we were an hour and a half late leaving then too!!

By the time we were boarding they were starting to load freight again and things appeared to be moving ok.

After a short uneventful crossing we arrived in UK and made our way onto M20, we passed about 20 miles of parked lorries trying to get into Dover, it was by this time really hot and sticky and we really felt for them.

We then heard that the trains had been stopped by the protesters and realised how lucky we had been to travel when we did.

As previously mentioned we used to often be held to ransom by the French, usually the farmers, and I do feel sorry for these workers who are loosing their jobs I suppose they have to fight by whatever means they can. Unfortunately there is very little we in the UK can do to help them.

I hope those of you stranded in France make it back soon without too much trauma.

As someone who suffers motion sickness and feels sick at the thought of going across on a ferry it will be Eurotunnel every time for us.

No matter which ferry company is the best, be it, P&O, DFDS or MyFerry, if MyFerry was allowed to carry on then either P&O or DFDS would have pulled out and the same situation would still have occurred, and it would have probably been DFDS.

Now which company DFDS or MyFerry is the most beneficial to us. I say it's DFDS because they also run the Dunkirk route and this strike has shown that it was the other alternative and must have helped hundreds of travellers.

Don't feel sorry for the striker's because they don't give two hoots about you. And don't forget they were causing criminal damage to the rail line and the roads.

Dave

Archived