Uprating vehicle weight yourself

Mel B

Under the bonnet is a metal plate, this should say FIAT and four numbers,

Total allowable weight

Front axle

Rear axle

Limit when towing.

If it says Alko it has a different rear end that has been bolted on.

You may be able to raise it to 3850k, but your rear axle may have to stay below 2000k, which is difficult.

Hi Pete H.

I'd say that it'd certainly be worth contacting the manufacturer's main HQ direct (not just a UK agent), just to see what/if is involved in your vehicle being rated at 3850kg....

Although ours was a different scenario, after months of being faffed about, I managed to clear up a weight plate *issue/verification by contacting the manufacturer's (Trigano) HQ in France.

(*we had both 3500 and 3850 plates but V5c only showed 3500)

Within a week of me first contacting them, they had sent documents through stating what my vehicle could be rated at both 3500kg and 3850kg as it stood.

It seems that ours was 3850kg from the factory....but it had been "down plated" to (or incorrectly entered with dvla as?) 3500kg when first brought in by the dealer..

The documentation Trigano supplied was enough for DVLA to reinstate it back to 3850kg.

(contacting Trigano first would've saved us a few months worth of being messed around by: and being given duff and conflicting info' from, the dealer, DVLA etc..)

As I say, a different scenario but it can't hurt to ask.

Hi

I am aware that the limiting factor is going to be the rear axle. at this time I have over 120kg leeway there BUT. The gross is getting close with 2 on board to the 3500Kg mark. So If the options are there and not Grossly expensive then it could be a good move.

My issue (partly) is that the last M-H was an A Class Pusher with over 2.5tonne of payload!. and a "certain Party" forgets that we no longer have it!.

Pete

• 1 year later...

Just found this thread as I am thinking of doing the same.

Current van is 1996 Kontiki weights as follows

Total Max vehicle weight = 3400

Front Axle = 1650

Rear = 1750

Amazingly we have nearly 700kg payload and carry a scooter but its always near the limit and I am sure we have been a bit over now and again. A friend on another forum did the upgrade himself and apparently after talking to SV I can upgrade to the following without making changes.

3650 total

1750 front 1900 on rear

This would be more than enough for me. Trouble is I am going away mid June. I spoke to DVLA and they said just fill in section 7 of the V5 with the new weights, include a covering letter and a weighbridge certificate and they will do it. The guy on the other forum just got a set of new Vin tags from these people for about £40 I think. http://www.vintagsuk.com/index.htm

Is it that easy? He said though the first time DVLA sent it back they put on the new weight as that what was on the weighbridge certificate! So he had to send it back again. Got it sorted in the end though but its taken him a couple of months.

Im not sure why they want a weighbridge certificate. What does that prove?

There is no way ill get it done in time to go away but SV Tech reckon they give you a certificate and to just send the V5 off when you return from Europe. What kind of legal stance does that certificate hold? Might I just as well copy the V5, send it off and just order a new set of tags and stick them on before I go?

I would have done this ages ago but we only recently just decided to keep the van rather than sell it.

Any thoughts?

Barry , would taking over 3500 not affect your sale of van in future? Due to the over 70,s , and with an old van probably would sell to youngsters, so may not be able to drive?

Just a thought . We upgraded ours from 3400 to 3500, may not seem much, but every little bit of spare capacity helps.

PJay

PS used SV Tech. DVLA sent v5 back promptly

PJay

PJay - 2017-05-26 8:25 PM

Barry , would taking over 3500 not affect your sale of van in future? Due to the over 70,s , and with an old van probably would sell to youngsters, so may not be able to drive?

Just a thought . We upgraded ours from 3400 to 3500, may not seem much, but every little bit of spare capacity helps.

PJay

PS used SV Tech. DVLA sent v5 back promptly

PJay

Thanks. Im not bothered about that. Apparently its a fairly easy job to downgrade anyway.

Uprating ‘on the cheap’ was discussed in this March 2017 MHFun thread:

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/uprating-gross-weight.149768/

In the 1990s it was commonplace (probably the norm) for UK motorhome manufacturers to quote payload with no allowances made for carrying fresh-water or gas, just allowances for vehicle-fuel and a driver. Consequently, a large quoted payload could easily disappear when the motorhome was used in normally-loaded condition.

Although uprating from 3400kg to 3650kg, 1650kg to 1750kg and 1750kg to 1900kg would not involve huge increases, are you sure this can be done without any physical changes being made? I believe your Kon-Tiki will have an AL-KO chassis and presumably SVTech is aware of this as uprating an AL-KO chassis’s maximum rear axle-loading can be an expensive exercise.

Derek Uzzell - 2017-05-27 2:52 PM

Uprating ‘on the cheap’ was discussed in this March 2017 MHFun thread:

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/uprating-gross-weight.149768/

In the 1990s it was commonplace (probably the norm) for UK motorhome manufacturers to quote payload with no allowances made for carrying fresh-water or gas, just allowances for vehicle-fuel and a driver. Consequently, a large quoted payload could easily disappear when the motorhome was used in normally-loaded condition.

Although uprating from 3400kg to 3650kg, 1650kg to 1750kg and 1750kg to 1900kg would not involve huge increases, are you sure this can be done without any physical changes being made? I believe your Kon-Tiki will have an AL-KO chassis and presumably SVTech is aware of this as uprating an AL-KO chassis’s maximum rear axle-loading can be an expensive exercise.

Thanks. According to SVTech it can be done without changes on that model. That link suggests you need a certificate from a qualified engineering company. However I know for a fact that someone on my own forum did it himself. Took a while but he only upgraded from 3200kg to 3500kg I believe so within the same class. When I spoke to DVLA though they just said send in a covering letter and fill out section 7 of the V5. No mention of any certificate.

I think I have two choices. Either leave it for now as a DIY job until I return from Europe or Get SV Tech or that other company to do it if they can turn it around before I go away and leave sending the V5 off until I return.

Barry if you did upgrade before you go away, , your V5 would not show it, SO should you get stopped, and WERE over your original limit, !!!!

We have Never been asked for documents, BUT since the VOTE (Brexit) maybe the powers that be in euro land, may feel different about us now?

Save your money, and DIY yourself later.

How many years have you managed with your current set up??

PJay

PS i thought Yorkshire men, did not like spending???

PJay - 2017-05-28 6:08 PM

Barry if you did upgrade before you go away, , your V5 would not show it, SO should you get stopped, and WERE over your original limit, !!!!

We have Never been asked for documents, BUT since the VOTE (Brexit) maybe the powers that be in euro land, may feel different about us now?

PJay

Its been as it is for 9 years. :D Its fine I guess. When we were thinking of changing vans I thought I wouldnt bother but ive just spent £1000 on getting the injectors reconditioned, new cam belt and a load of other stuff and as I cannot find a suitable replacement I thought I should maybe get around to doing it. ill probably just wait now.

I wondered if there would be any backlash because of Brexit so Ive bought some of these. :D https://rlv.zcache.co.uk/i_love_europe_eu_flag_with_heart_heart_sticker-r50bf04f2cc7145489b2e445407df1e0d_v9w0n_8byvr_324.jpg

Barryd999 - 2017-05-28 10:17 PM

PJay

Its been as it is for 9 years. :D Its fine I guess. When we were thinking of changing vans I thought I wouldnt bother but ive just spent £1000 on getting the injectors reconditioned, new cam belt and a load of other stuff and as I cannot find a suitable replacement I thought I should maybe get around to doing it. ill probably just wait now.

I wondered if there would be any backlash because of Brexit so Ive bought some of these. :D https://rlv.zcache.co.uk/i_love_europe_eu_flag_with_heart_heart_sticker-r50bf04f2cc7145489b2e445407df1e0d_v9w0n_8byvr_324.jpg

Only one?

At least you know your van, and that all the work has been done.

(Better the Devil you Know ) as the saying goes!! It appears that some have problems with new vans.

I always say "if it ain't broke. Why fix it?"

PJay

PJay - 2017-05-28 11:11 PM

Barryd999 - 2017-05-28 10:17 PM

PJay

Only one?

At least you know your van, and that all the work has been done.

(Better the Devil you Know ) as the saying goes!! It appears that some have problems with new vans.

I always say "if it ain't broke. Why fix it?"

PJay

No I got 12. :D

The only issue is getting parts now. I agree though in the main. There always seems to be plenty of issues with newer vans. I think its just motorhomes in general though. There is always something going wrong especially if they are used as much as ours is.

Archived