Don't leave home without them!

Tracker

With battery issues being one of the biggest areas of spoiled holidays there are a few things you can do that might help you resolve them yourself and here are a few of my favourites.

Always use one of these to monitor your batteries -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cigarette-Lighter-Voltage-Voltmeter-BuyinCoins/dp/B0092KVYGI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436038802&sr=8-1&keywords=plug+in+12+volt+meter

Always carry one of these to check for other voltage or current flow -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DIGIFLEX-Testing-Digital-Multimeter-Voltmeter/dp/B003NEGZLS

And a good quality set of these just in case -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trade-Quality-800amp-Metres-Professional/dp/B002NH6NLI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1436047354&sr=8-2&keywords=jump+leads

And one of these - but be sure it has the power to reach the pressure you need -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-Automotive-RAC600-Compressor-Including/dp/B000UPEHJU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436047622&sr=8-1&keywords=tyre+inflator

And if all else fails, one of these just in case -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Streetwize-Heavy-Duty-Towing-Tonne/dp/B0044SKWPM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436047419&sr=8-1&keywords=tow+rope

As well as a simple set of basic tools like screwdrivers, pliers, mole wrench, spanners etc. as it is surprising what you can fix yourself with a bit of thought, ingenuity and advice from on here!

Anyone else care to add to the list!

With the exception of the first item (Battery monitor). We have all of them, just got a strong rope (from a chandler) for towing. We found that when needing a tow out of a hole , (which we have needed) the rope came in very handy, as the site operator only had a string like "rope" which immediately snapped, when he attempted to tow us out with his tractor

PJay

Brian Kirby - 2015-07-05 12:49 PM

Being towed free by a tractor often involves a chain, which can be very abrupt. A rope or a strap will stretch a bit, so avoids snatch. Tractor clutches aren't the most subtle! So it would pay to carry your own.

Agree with you Brian. Our rope is for tying large motorboats to pontoons, so has a certain amount of give in it Can often be picked up in the "bargain" bins of rope , sold in chandleries We've had experience of "tow ropes" in France . String comes to mind! or a short knotted rope, not long enough for towing (Hornfleur)

Those of you familiar with Soddes Law will know that one of the best ways to make sure you never need them is to carry tools and spare parts!

For example, I never used to carry spare bulbs as they are generally readily available wherever you are, but since carrying a spare set of bulbs for over 10 years I've never needed one!

Or maybe bulbs are more reliable than they used to be?

This may not be for everyone but I have found it handy on a couple of occasions if only to confirm an alleged 'fault' being minor and to clear the warning light -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MaxiScan-MS509-Diagnostic-reader-Scanner/dp/B006JXYH0G

Tracker - 2015-07-05 5:37 PM

Those of you familiar with Soddes Law will know that one of the best ways to make sure you never need them is to carry tools and spare parts!

I find this works well with Umbrellas, but sadly, sunscreen as well. B-)

candapack - 2015-07-05 5:52 PM

I find this works well with Umbrellas, but sadly, sunscreen as well. B-)

There were other things that I used to carry when I was younger before I realised how pointless it was!

Fishing tackle always in the car just in case an opportunity arose, for example!

I thought you are supposed to carry spare bulbs? We have always carried a full set of bulbs, and for the first time(in 10 years)we needed one ,. One of the indicator bulbs , needed changing.

PJaay

Guest Peter James

Its a legal requirement to carry spare bulbs across the channel, but I have never been asked to produce them.

These are not professional jump leads as stated. Professionals always quote the cross sectional area of cable, rather than just the amperage which depends on various factors and opinions.

Peter James - 2015-07-05 8:41 PM

Its a legal requirement to carry spare bulbs across the channel, but I have never been asked to produce them.

These are not professional jump leads as stated. Professionals always quote the cross sectional area of cable, rather than just the amperage which depends on various factors and opinions.

As ever Peter, always quick to criticise but never quick to offer an alternative.

I did not say nor check to see if they were professional as they are just one example of the genre.

As an expert on these matters perhaps you would care to locate and show us amateurs a set of jump leads that you consider appropriate.

Thanks.

Guest frankie640

I think you are a bit unfair and a tad tetchy there Tracker. I did not see any reference in Peter's post that would suggest he was criticising you in any way. It appeared to me that he was only attempting to prevent someone from purchasing an unsuitable item. You want to lighten up a bit mate.

frankie640 - 2015-07-05 9:32 PM

I think you are a bit unfair and a tad tetchy there Tracker. I did not see any reference in Peter's post that would suggest he was criticising you in any way. It appeared to me that he was only attempting to prevent someone from purchasing an unsuitable item.

Fair enough!

Perhaps I might have worded it a bit different but the sentiment remains that those who wish to make a negative comment on any posting may wish to consider adding weight to their argument by suggesting what, in their opinion, would provide a better solution to that which they disapprove of - otherwise it just looks like criticism and/or nit picking for it's own sake.

Try these then!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Heavy-Duty-Jump-Lead-6M-20Ft/dp/B00585CD9S/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1436131239&sr=8-4&keywords=jump+leads+long

or these

http://www.halfords.com/motoring-travel/tools-diy/jump-leads/halfords-35mm-booster-cables

Other jump leads are available and it is up to the buyer to ensure that their purchase is adequate for their needs before purchasing the item.

Guest Peter James

You said the Amazon ones were 'good quality' but since they don't mention the cross sectional area of cable, I guess its not much, and they would melt if the receiving battery was flat and it took much turning over. But if there was nearly enough power in the receiving battery, and the engine didn't take much turning over, they would probably work

My emergency jump leads in the van are 16mm2 for 2.2 litre diesel, 25mm2 would be better, especially for 3 litre, the Halford ones at 35mm2 better still.- but they are dearer because there is more copper in them. I have professional jump leads 100mm2 x 24 feet long which I kept in the breakdown truck to use on lorries, but they would be unnecessarily large and heavy to carry around in the van

But be wary of jump leads that don't give the cross sectional area, just say 'Heavy Duty' , 800 amps or whatever (which it might carry only for a few seconds before it melts) and they cause so much voltage drop they take longer anyway. They are generally about as much use as the 'Super Extra Heavy Duty' batteries you get in packs of 20 from the pound shop *-)

Guest Peter James

There is no definite rule of the amperage a cable can carry because it depends on variable factors. Professional electricians can't even agree on it. Heres another example where sellers only state their own idea of amperage the conductor is fit to carry, instead of stating its size so you can make your own judgement. A good '30 amp' relay on the right, with what others class as '30 amp' on the left.

Mis selling again?

relays.thumb.jpg.8e69b1ba8de4bd5093e4cd7c8deee053.jpg

hi tracker would one ofthese be ok for fiat 2.8/jtd 2005

For example, I never used to carry spare bulbs as they are generally readily available wherever you are, but since carrying a spare set of bulbs for over 10 years I've never needed one!

Or maybe bulbs are more reliable than they used to be?

This may not be for everyone but I have found it handy on a couple of occasions if only to confirm an alleged 'fault' being minor and to clear the warning light -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MaxiScan-MS509-Diagnostic-reader-Scanner/dp/B006JXYH0G

hi tracker,how do they work(all new to me),having a battery issues camp site wanted £10 to pull me of the pitch,i was on a hill and had to just roll down,looking at a battery mate any info on one,thanks just ordered two ciga/light voltage

Archived