Reversing Cameras

flicka

Can anyone advise if it is legal to use a Reversing Camera screen, whilst driving (forward). My other half thinks we should NOT use it and is concerned I'll get pick up by our friends in Blue, if I use it. But as it shows the blind spot behind the van which is not visible in the Wing Mirrors. This would be especially useful when turning, if someone has tucked themselves right up behind me. I know it is illegal to have a TV screen viewable by the driver, but think a Reversing Camera could be a substantial aid whilst driving and see no difference between someone using a Sat-Nav screen (or are they technically illegal also) Does anyone know of any official site I can check out. Looking at some of the posting on this site, I 'm not sure if some people are using them whilst travelling or not. Flicka

I believe it is perfectly acceptable within the law to use your rear view camera to assist you with the proper control of your vehicle. Rear view camers systems are too usefull to be used only when reversing. The monitor should be placed so that it does obscure your direct view through the front (or side) screen. My own is placed immediately above the internal rear view mirror and is far more usefull than it. I can use it to enable me to reverse a small trailer that cannot be seen in any of the mirrors - until its too late! What is against the law however is having a screen in view of the driver for something other than this type of use , like a game or a TV program or video. i.e. a distraction. Hope that helps.

just about to have one fitted to my new van, instead of a moniter, i'm having the one with the moniter built into the interior mirror so when its turned off all that can be seen is a normal interior mirror. dont take deliverie untill nearly the end of next month, will let you know if its any good. pete

Hi All, I was advised that it was legal to use the monitor for a rear view safety camera by the local Police, providing that it could be used for no other reason, other than satnav or vehicle warning systems, whilst the vehicle was on the road and if it was in the view of the driver. I have since changed my system to one that has the monitor built in to the rear view mirror and it is most impressive giving a wider field of vision and larger view than the origional mirror, had I been able to see out the rear with it. As a mirror without the monitor on it gives a better view than the origional mirror as it magnifies, though that takes a little getting used to. Bas

Hi, Also looking at reversing camera's, can someone tell me what is wrong with Kress & Bohl , there are 2 of them going on Ebay for very good price. Same guy has them and they look fine to me , both new and with guarantee. It was just compared to others on there no one seems very interested in these, I just wondered why.

There is nothing wrong with Kress and Bohl, I fitted one for a customer last week. Bear in mind though that if it is the CRT type monitor they are quite bulky and will not fit on the dash top very well at all. The one I fitted was on a Renault Master (new) and the only place we could mount the monitor was at floor level in the middle, which works but isn't ideal. D.

RCT: 5.5 Inch/14cm Input Voltage: DC12V/DC24V Power Consumption: 12V 7.5W/24V 10 Watt Operation Temperature: -30°C/+70°C Inputs: 2 Video and 2 Audio Outputs: 1 Video and 1 Audio Horizontal Resolution: 600 TV Lines at Maximum Shock Resistance: 6.8G Dimensions: 158W×149H×203L mm Weight: 1.8 Kg CAMERA Input Voltage: DC12V Operation Temperature: -30C/+70C Chip: CCD 1/3 inch 320.000 Pixels Water Resistance Standard: IEC 60529 IP67 Shock Resistance: 6.8G Resolution: 420 TV Lines Lens: 120° horizontal, 95° vertical Minimum Illumination: 0,05 LUX IR LED Electronic Shutter: 1/60(CCIR)or 1/50(EIA) 1/100,000 Second Dimensions: 80L×54B×41H mm Weight: 300g Having not a clue what an CRT monitor is thought this might help Dave, getting to the point where I dont know what we would do without others knowledge , and wondering how many of you experts we can fit in our MH on our first outing. When is says it has a microphone for interior and exterior, does this mean you can shout "Excuse me please " to people as you are about to reverse over them? thanks as always

Sorry MandyAndy, CRT stands for Cathode Ray Tube and is the older technology used in TVs and monitors. A 5" CRT monitor is usually about 6" deep so is quite bulky. The newer technology is LCD monitors of which a 5" screen would typically be less than 1" deep. I've just had a lok at Ebay and the systems you are looking at are CRT type monitors and therefore quite bulky. These are ok with an A class motorhome where you have half an acre of dash but they're too bulky to be sensible in a standard cab. The microphone is in the camera and the monitor has a speaker which means that in a very tight reversing manouvre your partner could watch you back and would not need to shout instructions, normal talk should be picked up by the microphone and relayed to you in the cab. D.

Dave Can you help. I want to mount my reversing camera monitor at the top of the windscreen. (it currently sits on it's cradle on the dash) and I am looking for a 3 metre extension lead for the monitor. I have a"Obserview CM560 TFT-LCD Monitor", but an internet search did not give me any results whatsoever. I am hoping with all your experience and contacts you may be able to put me in the right direction. I do not recognise the style of plug fitted. It is similar to a Computer DIN plug with 8 pins. But unlike the Din which usually have one oblong pin, these 8 are all round and the same size. I have trawled the usual suspects (RS Components & Farnell) but theirs all appear to have the oblong pin. Many thanks Flicka

Hi Flicka, many reversing camera systems come with an excess of cable between the camera and monitor, the surplus is usually tied up in a bundle somewhere, often beneath/behind the dash. I don't know what 'van you have but I would have a look under the dash to see if I could find the surplus cable and free enough up to re-position the monitor. D.

Hello Henry, My Orlaco Camera system came from Orlaco Products BV Albert Plesmanstraat 42 - 3772 MN Barneveld P.O. Box 193 - 3770 AD Barneveld Tel +31(0)342 404555 - Fax +31(0)342 404556 email: info@orlaco.nl Directly. My contact there is Henry Van Buesecom, he part owns the company. Orlaco Equipment is intended for the commercial market and is very robust and tolerant to extreems of environmental conditions. I have helped them put trials in special applications in various places including soaking wet chill stores in America fitted to vehicles with solid tyres and no suspension. Have a browse around http://www.orlaco.nl/ Good luck Clive Just looked at the EBAY ad. That,s the one. You can see the normal price. If its new I wonder how??? If you are tempted then ask if the cable set to join all the bits up is included. If not I have the connection information anyway but no spare plugs. I did the engineering package to fit this kit onto some fork lift trucks. Its good gear.

Archived