Dumping waste water while driving.

Steve928

antony1969 - 2015-07-12 7:08 PM...............Ok let's try this one , another motorhome user waved at me on the way home and I totally ignored em , even though I could quite easily have waved and I laughed too .... Take my Boy Scout badge back me finks and call the fuzz , if they can catch me !

Oh, tut, tut! How gauche. :-D

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone has their pet hates...Folks using noisy generators because they are too tight to invest in solar panels or an additional battery is my pet hate!

There are far far worse things that one can do, the number of vehicles that just dump fast-food packaging or fag wrappers out of vehicle windows for one. Reality is that the stuff that comes out of your exhaust is far far worse for the environment than the stuff that comes out of your grey waste tank. The stuff from the grey waste tank just gets washed off the road the next time it rains.

As for emptying on sites, I quite often see caravanner's allowing their waste-master containers to overflow on a pitch - there is no difference between this and leaving your waste valve open on a Motorhome.

I have emptied by the roadside, but I am discrete, I don't do it while driving, and I don't do it where it would form a soapy puddle! Added to that we use back-country enviro soaps that costs more but is harmless to the environment, and we don't shove lumps of food down the drain. Emptying waste into grass/reeds means that anything nasty gets filtered out by the undergrowth so nothing horrible ends up in the streams. This is, after all how septic tanks work - perhaps there are some folks here that believe that emptying waste into designated drains on a campsite where the campsite has a septic tank is not appropriate either ?

The fact is that there are precious few waste-emptying facilities in the UK, We use CL's but would not dream of paying £20-30/night for a 6x6 patch of grass on a full-priced camp site - added to that, what is one then supposed to do in winter when all the camp sites are closed and the waste tank is prone to freezing - give up motorhoming??

Nigel

Looking at some of the posts about this subject you would think that it was a road tanker that was dumping toxic waste on the public highway. Most grey tanks on motorhomes are about 80 litres and the discharge valves are about 20mm.

I know that if I travel from a fresh water filling point after having topped the tank up water will escape from the overflow breather pipe until it has reached its optimum level and could give the impression that waste water was being discharged.

Archived