Caxton FX

Hawcara

Since Caxton have/are changing from visa to MasterCard are there any real differences? We only use it for cash purposes. We've just had an email and the card will be changed later in the year, but it is still valid so assume it will be okay until then?

Thank you :-S

Yes, I also just received the email about the change. As far as I'm aware there's not a great deal of difference. In fact, it doesn't seem very long ago that the Caxton FX card changed from Mastercard to Visa - now it's going back to Mastercard?

I'd just carry on as normal until you get your new card. When it arrives cut the old one up and throw it away - no problem.

Mike

No difference whatsoever except on the app which is far easier to use. You have 1 card now and you select what currency you want, how much Sterling you want to spend and it gives you a rate almost immediately-you then have a choice to accept or not.

Personally I find it better having just 1 card for anywhere in the world and have always been happy with their customer service. Not tried it yet on a fuel pump so don't know if that's any better-did have a problem occasionally in France with the old one at self serve filling stations

Mike

ron. - 2015-07-07 10:17 PM

Just a thought but what happens to your Visa card balance when you are switched to Mastercard? Is it transferred over to the MasterCard, do you have to draw it out, or what?

They transfer the balance over.(Or they did when they swapped over to Visa from master card).

The main difference is you can put other currencies on the same card as well as Euros so if you want to go into Switzerland you can put Swiss Francs on, which could be useful.

I don't know what would happen if you were going abroad for 6 to 8 weeks over the change over period.

Mike B. - 2015-07-07 7:21 PM

No difference whatsoever except on the app which is far easier to use. You have 1 card now and you select what currency you want, how much Sterling you want to spend and it gives you a rate almost immediately-you then have a choice to accept or not.

Personally I find it better having just 1 card for anywhere in the world and have always been happy with their customer service. Not tried it yet on a fuel pump so don't know if that's any better-did have a problem occasionally in France with the old one at self serve filling stations

Mike

It may depend on how much you put on it. The machines look for a credit availabilty, as with a normal credit card, even if what you want to pay is small. Most pre paid cards cannot do this and so get rejected by self service machines and toll booth machines. I have a Farefax card and it worked once on a French toll, then would not work again, so I got a Toll tag instead and avoided the problem. Love it when the barrier just rises as you approach and you can shoot past all the 'plebs' trying to get a crad to work.

ron. - 2015-07-07 10:17 PM

Just a thought but what happens to your Visa card balance when you are switched to Mastercard? Is it transferred over to the MasterCard, do you have to draw it out, or what?

They transfer it over-shows as Sterling and equivalent amount in Euros

Archived