water loss

tonyg3nwl

Hi folks, some months ago , I queried where has all the water gone..we seemed to be losing half a tankful on any reasonable journey..

at long last I decided to investigate properly..and found that the overflow pipe was an inch and half diameter, and mounted in the side of the tank at least half inch down from the top of tank..thus draining down the top 2 inches of water from a full tank when static level.

when cornering, the surge of water would pour out through the large overflow pipe, thus explaining the high loss rate.

My solution is to fit a bung in the overflow pipe which has a very small hole through it, enough to let air in when drawing water, but sufficiently small diameter to restrict surge outflow to not much more than a dribble. Hopefully this will reduce the loss rate significantly..

has anyone else done a similar thing..??

Tonyg3nwl.

It seems to be a common failing on vans with underslung tanks (read UK-built vans).

On my earlier Elddis I ran a pipe from the overflow fitting up through the floor and up into the wardrobe to finish just below the roof. This provided a breather while the large bore filler pipe itself provided the overflow. You could fill until water flowed back out of the filler pipe.

On the Bailey it is complicated by the Whale pressurised filling system which could force water out of the breather . I fitted the same breather arrangement but had to tee off an overflow pipe at about half height, which then goes back down to exit by the water tank. You fill until water comes out of the overflow and then the breather breaks the syphon.

I don't like to lose any water and on both vans I could completely fill the tank and not lose a drop. A bit more work than but worth it in my opinion.

Guest Joe90
Not exactly the same as you, and it doesn't seem right, but in common with many vans after I've filled my fresh water tank water gushes out of mine once the vans in motion,the overflow is a couple of inches down from the top of the tank given the other thread no doubt some think it could be my waste water,especially when first pulling away, when nothing is further from the truth.

I had a similar problem with a Swift Sundance, with a similar solution. The breather was a rigid tube inserted into the base of the tank extending upwards to around one inch from the top of the tank. Since the tank was wide and shallow, it very soon emptied when driving. I put a flexible pipe over the outlet and ran it up into a void where the body met the rear of the cab.

Archived