Which 'ile' in France

hdv

Would like some advice please if poss. Off to France in October can't make up my mind whether to choose ile de re or ile de l'oleron. Has anyone been to either or both and can help. Thanks

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Been to the Ile de Re twice but not the other Ile so cannot do a comparison. We really loved the Ile de Re and thought it one of the very best places we have camped. We stayed at the Site Municipal in St Dennis, a large enough site for a large enough motorhome, and the facilities were excellent. Everything is in walking distance (we didn't have bikes) but it is a haven for cyclists.

Been to both a few times ( in fact was on Oleron last week ).

I don't think there is a lot of difference between them - but you do have to pay a toll to get onto Ile de Re.

I think Re has more cycle tracks and is possibly more picturesque - but that of course is down to personal preferences.

Not sure that many, if any campsites will still be open in October - you need to check if that is where you intend to stay.

;-)

Do not bother two of the most overrated, boring places in France. Totally flat, very little in the way of old towns or villages, have visited both with the intention of staying a few days, one day to long. Even the beaches are nothing special and weather is pretty unpredictable as well.

Have been to Ile de Re and really enjoyed it, due to the cycle tracks mainly. St Martin Ile de Re is a lovely fishing harbour. I would be bit wary of going in October it will be quiet but as it is wide open to winds. I haven't been to ile d'oleron so can't speak from experience but it it is bigger and further south so should be a better bet.

Those of you experienced in france then, any suggestions for october? we like to walk and cycle( flattish please) and fairly decent weather(yes i know it's october). only 2 weeks to do trip. wedo also like to look at places.

I've had good weather in Corsica in early October 25 deg.

found it difficult getting a site and locals a bit dodgy.

I've been cold in the Languedoc in October but the canal du midi route carcassonne to beziers is really nice and I'd do it.

Usually the temp changes rapidly 2nd week November.

Guest JudgeMental
hdv - 2015-07-09 10:01 PM

Those of you experienced in france then, any suggestions for october? we like to walk and cycle( flattish please) and fairly decent weather(yes i know it's october). only 2 weeks to do trip. wedo also like to look at places.

October late for France...you need to head south for a chance of decent weather

hdv - 2015-07-09 10:01 PM

For a good chance of decent weather you need to be well south or inland well away from Atlantic coast. People keep saying France is closed in October, well plainly they have never been, while it is true many sites on Atlantic coast are closed there are plenty open elsewhere. I would head for Provence, good chance of OK weather and some flat bits as well. You could take a chance on Alsace, nice area and plenty to see with Vosges mountains on one side and Black forest on the other.

I think you'll just have to be flexible, and let the weather forecasts guide you. Summer is turning into autumn, and the weather becomes unstable and can be quite extreme.

It think I'd be inclined to head east rather than west (it is when the Atlantic depressions begin to blow in), possibly Alsace, which should offer reasonable weather at that time and is not too far away for a fortnight. If you stay out of the Vosges and below the vineyards, it is reasonably flat and very pretty in places.

Provence might be good, though the Med can be quite damp in autumn. As above, the Canal du Midi (Roughly Toulouse to Beziers via Carcassonne) may also offer quite good weather, and a lot if interesting places to visit if weather variable, plus endless towpath cycling.

Lot/Dordogne valleys too, but probably better staying off the Massif, as the higher you go the more fickle the weather gets.

It's going to be a lottery where the better weather would be, and it's quite likely you'll need to shift location to catch it, but if you're prepared to let it dictate where you roam you should find some, somewhere!

We went to the Isle d'Oleron a few weeks ago and, based on a recommendation, aimed for the Municipal camo site at Chateau d'Oleron - we didn;t stay, it's a dump. Tiny, cramped pitches and chaotic electrics requiring incrdibly long leads and sharing. Half the shower blocks we closed because of faults and half the electrical posts were out of order too. We wouldn't dream of going back.

But half a mile further along the coast (anticlockwise) there is a Aire on a former campsite which is larger, miostly flat and hardstanding and has some toilets and even a couple of showers which were obviously looked after. 10€ per night including electricity, so OK for a night stop.

But the weather was poor and we moved on. We did drive around the Isle before leaving and saw nothing to make us want to go back, but then we're not beach people anyway.

Guest Joe90

Yes come October they've demolished all the beautiful historic towns, cities, and villages, all the shops are shut, lakes and rivers drained, and the seas and beaches have mysteriously disappeared...................oh and the sun hides behind Uranus.

rupert123 - 2015-07-09 10:23 AM

Do not bother two of the most overrated, boring places in France. Totally flat, very little in the way of old towns or villages, have visited both with the intention of staying a few days, one day to long. Even the beaches are nothing special and weather is pretty unpredictable as well.

For once we agree. The sea water is also filthy. In fact the coastline from La Rochelle down as far as Bordeaux is nothing to shout about.

Mike88 - 2015-07-10 2:02 PM

For once we agree. The sea water is also filthy. In fact the coastline from La Rochelle down as far as Bordeaux is nothing to shout about.

................ except the Ile d' Oleron of course, where there are at least six Blue Flag beaches.

Some of 'em several kms in length.

;-)

malc d - 2015-07-10 2:14 PM

................ except the Ile d' Oleron of course, where there are at least six Blue Flag beaches.

;-)

The fact there are blue flag beaches doesn't necessarily inspire me with confidence. While the water might well pass the blue flag water quality standards the colour of the water, which is often brown, in that general area doesn't look that inviting.

Mike88 - 2015-07-10 2:59 PM

malc d - 2015-07-10 2:14 PM

;-)

The fact there are blue flag beaches doesn't necessarily inspire me with confidence. While the water might well pass the blue flag water quality standards the colour of the water, which is often brown, in that general area doesn't look that inviting.

It may well be sea water that you don't like the look of, but I think that to describe the sea water as "filthy " - when they have so many Blue Flag beaches, is likely to be challenged by their local authourities.

Well it was bound to happen some time. I would go even further though, most of the French coast has nothing much going for it. Their are a few decent bits but nothing to match Cornwall, west coast of Scotland, North Wales, etc. etc. On the med coast it is at least sunny but overcrowded even in June and unless you like sitting on a crowded but uninspiring beach all day would not bother with any of it.

rupert123 - 2015-07-11 10:45 AM

Well it was bound to happen some time. I would go even further though, most of the French coast has nothing much going for it. Their are a few decent bits but nothing to match Cornwall, west coast of Scotland, North Wales, etc. etc. On the med coast it is at least sunny but overcrowded even in June and unless you like sitting on a crowded but uninspiring beach all day would not bother with any of it.

Agreed again but you have left out West Wales. I'm just back from a week in Tenby. With beaches such as Barafundle Bay and Broadhaven and the lilly ponds at Bosherton this area exceeds anything in France except of course the weather which drives most of us abroad.

Mike88 - 2015-07-11 11:45 AM.....................With beaches such as Barafundle Bay and Broadhaven and the lilly ponds at Bosherton this area exceeds anything in France except of course the weather which drives most of us abroad.

Except perhaps the temperature of the sea, which is a consideration for those who actually go into it, as opposed to merely looking at it - especially out of season! :-D

Brian Kirby - 2015-07-11 12:22 PM

Mike88 - 2015-07-11 11:45 AM.....................With beaches such as Barafundle Bay and Broadhaven and the lilly ponds at Bosherton this area exceeds anything in France except of course the weather which drives most of us abroad.

Except perhaps the temperature of the sea, which is a consideration for those who actually go into it, as opposed to merely looking at it - especially out of season! :-D

Brian, I think the subject has moved on from " best beaches " to " prettiest beaches ".

In which case I reckon the Outer Hebrides beats 'em all.

;-)

p.s.............. did try swimming on the Hebrides beaches - bit too chilly for me.

Archived