Which 'ile' in France

hdv

malc d - 2015-07-13 11:58 AM

rupert123 - 2015-07-13 11:26 AM

Blimey, we agree again Mike. How can you say the landscape of the West coast is flat and unattractive in your opinion though.

That is exactly what it is, not an opinion a plain fact.

The west coast is unattractive to those people who find it unattractive.

To those who like it - it's attractive.

" Attractive " is therefore an opinion - not a plain fact .

;-)

Leaving aside the towns, as I was talking about scenery, what exactly do you find attractive about a few flat beaches and some water. I know some are easily pleased, if they have a bit of sand and the sun shines that is all they need but I need a bit more. Sure I can sit on a beach for about ten minutes before getting bored but I am not yet so brain dead I can do it for days on end. Some even seem to stay on the Ile de Re for longer than a day, how boring is that.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
rupert123 - 2015-07-13 3:29 PM

malc d - 2015-07-13 11:58 AM

rupert123 - 2015-07-13 11:26 AM

Blimey, we agree again Mike. How can you say the landscape of the West coast is flat and unattractive in your opinion though.

That is exactly what it is, not an opinion a plain fact.

The west coast is unattractive to those people who find it unattractive.

To those who like it - it's attractive.

" Attractive " is therefore an opinion - not a plain fact .

;-)

Leaving aside the towns, as I was talking about scenery, what exactly do you find attractive about a few flat beaches and some water.

As an aging cyclist I find miles and miles of flat cycle tracks, like those along the west coast of France, (and on the islands), very attractive.

........and, from time to time, if I get a bit too hot, I can turn left or right ( depending on whether I am cycling north or south ) and in a few hundred yards or so can have a dip in the sea to cool off on miles of deserted beaches.

;-)

rupert123 - 2015-07-13 3:29 PM....................Leaving aside the towns, as I was talking about scenery, what exactly do you find attractive about a few flat beaches and some water. I know some are easily pleased, if they have a bit of sand and the sun shines that is all they need but I need a bit more. Sure I can sit on a beach for about ten minutes before getting bored but I am not yet so brain dead I can do it for days on end. Some even seem to stay on the Ile de Re for longer than a day, how boring is that.

I think you do others an injustice Henry, by assuming that they will merely remain supine because the landscape is supine. Flatness can, IMO, be extremely attractive. One gets huge skies and shimmering light, for a start. That stretch of coast is spectacular with its long curving beach stretching to infinity, the sea, and almost nothing else. It is its vastness and emptiness that creates its atmosphere. So too, for example, do the Norfolk Broads, or the great steppe plain in Hungary. You, I think, are a mountain junky, and dismissive of landscape that isn't mountainous, or at least undulating. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with your preference, but I tend a bit to be in the "see one mountain and you've seen them all" camp. Places are what interest me, landscapes are mostly just accidents of geology. Good thing we're all different, isn't it? :-)

Archived