Difference between Camping and Caravanning Club and Caravan Club?

michaelmorris

Guest pelmetman
LordThornber - 2015-07-13 12:47 PM

Commercial vehicles are welcome but not with 'Let us tarmac your drive for £25' all over it.

Martyn

Not at Rutland they ain't ;-) ...........

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
StuartO - 2015-07-13 5:50 PM

michaelmorris - 2015-07-13 11:17 AM

We’re thinking of joining either the Camping and Caravanning Club or Caravan Club, but which one? (we can’t afford both).

Are you really saying that you can afford to buy a motorhome and plan to tour extensively in it, presumably therefore using lots of fuel, yet you can't afford the cost of one tank of fuel, which would allow you to try both of them for a year? .

The motorhome has cost us our entire savings and left us with pretty much nothing left in the kitty. We have to make economies somewhere!

We prefer to use CC sites because of their flexible booking system. You do not have to pay a deposit, can cancel with little notice (I think it is 3 days now) and can arrange a change of site while away if arrangements need to change. If you need to return home early you get a refund of the remaining booking less one day. We also like being able to choose our pich. When we have asked to change an allocated pitch on a CCC site it has not always been well received and the CCC also ask for a non refundable deposit and don't allow one night bookings at weekends or peak periods. We find the CC sites uniformly good with more flexible booking than commercial sites and use them a lot in the UK. Other people don't like them, fine it leaves more space for those of us who do.

We stayed on the CC site just outside Maidstone last week and the site was very well organised but what surprised me was the cost of Wi-Fi, they wanted £2-50 per day, I thought that it was a complete rip off considering the £45 annual membership fee and the cost of a pitch on top.

WE have a MH and we are in both, CCC is less formal, they have Temporary Holiday Sites which are great , just come back from one on Rutland Water. We like the 5 pitch sites like Acorn Wood that got an award last year, Haxey Quays as another examples.

If I had to choose one it would be CCC. but then we prefer more space than being packed into sites with bars and restaurants and family entertainment.

We are in the C&CC, rarely use club sites, and the two night rule for booking is kin stupid, esp. somewhere like Jedburg which for most will be a transit site on way to highlands, We ring up on the day to ask if they are pitch available, couple of weeks back went to Barley meadow (franchised site) to be told "you should be paying for two nights" I've had it before from them, I have to insist they only charge for one.

We use them for CS's, these we find usualy suit us fine.

Michael

We are members of both clubs, we tend to use C&CC sites more, they are more relaxed, get a more varied types of campers. and club sites tend to be in more out of the rural places. CC sites are often closer to resorts/towns.. We also use both clubs for insurances/ferries etc.

If you like basic farm type sites being a member of both is useful as it gives more choice. Although you are not likely to get turned away if you just turn up. I have only been asked for proof of membership once,

If money is tight I think C&CC would be better for you. Membership is cheaper and site fee a cheaper particularly if over 60

michaelmorris - 2015-07-13 7:00 PM

StuartO - 2015-07-13 5:50 PM

michaelmorris - 2015-07-13 11:17 AM

We’re thinking of joining either the Camping and Caravanning Club or Caravan Club, but which one? (we can’t afford both).

Are you really saying that you can afford to buy a motorhome and plan to tour extensively in it, presumably therefore using lots of fuel, yet you can't afford the cost of one tank of fuel, which would allow you to try both of them for a year? .

The motorhome has cost us our entire savings and left us with pretty much nothing left in the kitty. We have to make economies somewhere!

In which case the Camping & Caravanning Club will probably suit you better; C&CC Club Sites strike me as a bit more economy-class than those of CC and you might be less irritated by the pretentious aires of some of the clientelle on CC sites. :-D

If you use the M6 Toll... CC members can travel on the M6 toll for the price of a car - just show your membership card at the toll booth. We travel from the north to the south coast several times a year and it makes a big difference to us.

I like CC sites for reasons already given by others. I have only ever had one officious warden and that was several years ago. I suspect that the Caravan Club has been sending their wardens to charm school recently as they are very pleasant and helpful.

Both clubs provide sites with reduce fees for their sites. Both have sites restricted to members and both have sites open to all. CCC allows more camping on their sites than CC. Both have 5 van sites which tend to be cheaper but toilet blocks and showers are rare - some don't even have electric hook up [all will have a tap and disposal point]. Both provide other benefits such as reduced admission to attractions or discounts on purchasers - but take care as they are not always the best deal. Both provide services such as insurance and foreign touring.

CC is bigger and offers more sites. Standards of full sites are high but not all that cheap - some discounted prices off peak.. Some say the CC is more officious. I don't know but after 25 years in the CC, I haven't found it officious. I find it easy to book sites on the internet and that enables me to plan my trips. I motorhome in the UK at present.

Many people have a view but are not members! I'm a contented member of the CC. I joined the CC because I was a caravanner and it definitely made more sense at that time.

To be honest, I don't think it makes much difference which you join. I'd look at where you [might] want to go, which has the sites that enable you to go there, and join that one.

• 2 months later...
Hi we have been members of C&CC for fourteen years, without exception have always found wardens to be friendly and helpfull, facilities to be of a good standard. But now having a re think? We mainly holiday abroad now (Motorhome) but have still kept up our membership for the odd trip. But two weeks ago on a trip to Scotland tried to book a single night (Wed) in the lakes on the way up same again on the way back to be told minimum two nights required. Also going to France Dec 21st need on night close to Dover (Cantibury site) again min two nights. It is working out it would be cheaper to end my membership and just go to commercial sites. There seems to be no flexibility I always thought the club was a club for members run by members. I understand they have to make a profit but on both occasions in the lakes they had space for two night tue/wed of wed/Thursday so they weren't full. I have written to both clubs for explanation but as of yet not recived a reply? Your comments pleas!

graham - 2015-07-13 7:36 PM

We prefer to use CC sites because of their flexible booking system. You do not have to pay a deposit, can cancel with little notice (I think it is 3 days now) and can arrange a change of site while away if arrangements need to change. If you need to return home early you get a refund of the remaining booking less one day. We also like being able to choose our pich. When we have asked to change an allocated pitch on a CCC site it has not always been well received and the CCC also ask for a non refundable deposit and don't allow one night bookings at weekends or peak periods. We find the CC sites uniformly good with more flexible booking than commercial sites and use them a lot in the UK. Other people don't like them, fine it leaves more space for those of us who do.

Ditto, my experience of the C&CC to a tee. No longer a member, only the CC. got my House and vehicles insured through them at a good discount too. NO minimum stay requirement at any time with the CC. and no 'hidden charges' like Commercial sites (awnings/dogs/Showers etc.,). AND don't find them Formal or officious.

as a cc member went to the site in york, and was given a pitch in a odd shape corner under some trees.when i asked to change to a proper pitch in the open,the reply was,we have to save them for the larger outfits.My reply was that i pay the same membership fee ditto the pitch fee,and was entitled to an equal pitch.sqeezing a pitch at the edges of a site,is pure greed and unfair.true,after one night.,i was given a decent pitch,but the situation is unfair.i have now added a metre to my at tracker

We were on the Isle of Wight when the torrential rain happened. The warden of the CC site near Swanage, where we were booked to go next, rang us up and explained that he was giving us 72 hours notice that we might not find the grass pitches suitable for a motorhome following the downpour. If we wanted to cancel, he would book us in elsewhere. We decided to go to the CC site at Cirencester.

Cirencester had no hard standing when we arrived but we were put on a well drained grass pitch overnight and offered the chance to move to one of 30 hard standing pitches that would be available next day. We did that and the warden changed his records. He also extended our booking and cancelled the next one at Graham Water as my missus was not feeling well and didn't want to travel for a few days.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if a commercial site would do all this.

And I didn't received a ticking off from the CC HO for cancelling bookings at late notice.

Guest pelmetman
weldted - 2015-10-05 1:29 PM

I have written to both clubs for explanation but as of yet not recived a reply? Your comments pleas!

I hope you like platitudes ;-) ............As that's all you'll get from the CC *-) ...........

Another "club" is ACSI Dutch based but don't let that put you off that has an increasing number of sites in central and southern England that offer "low season" rates which are very economical. Have a look at their web site www.campingcard.com Their site book is about €15 which includes their card.

Wills Wagon - 2015-10-10 7:30 PM

Another "club" is ACSI Dutch based but don't let that put you off that has an increasing number of sites in central and southern England that offer "low season" rates which are very economical. Have a look at their web site www.campingcard.com Their site book is about €15 which includes their card.

Had a quick look at their web site. Of the 5 advertised sites in "The Heart of Scotland", one is in Oxfordshire and another is in Gloucestershire *-) :-D

Ashpark - 2015-10-12 4:18 PM

Had a quick look at their web site. Of the 5 advertised sites in "The Heart of Scotland", one is in Oxfordshire and another is in Gloucestershire *-) :-D

ACSI Scotland

Borgue Kirkbrideshire ended 30/9

Corpach /Fort william ended31/10

Musselburgh/Edinburg till 20/12

Oban/Gallanach ended 22/10

Found theses 4 in ACSI book. Sites in ACSI (UK) mostly seem to be in south. Maybe more uk and Scotland sites will appear in future years (Hope so) as there are a lot more now than in previous years, so maybe catching on here?

PJay

Hi

Whilst we spend most of our time abroad we are members of both clubs for short uk breaks or time in Scotland.

For us the issue is what is the quality of the alternatives? We have never really liked our stays at other commercial sites for one reason or another. At least with the clubs there is a minimum standard and we have never been disappointed. That's not to say there may not be poor club sites but we have never found them.

Peter

Another "club" is ACSI Dutch based but don't let that put you off that has an increasing number of sites in central and southern England that offer "low season" rates which are very economical.

But ACSI are not a " club " in the same way as C&CC and Caravan Club - they just run a low season discount scheme, and inspect and approve sites before they will include them in their guides.

;-)

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2015-10-13 5:15 PM

Another "club" is ACSI Dutch based but don't let that put you off that has an increasing number of sites in central and southern England that offer "low season" rates which are very economical.

But ACSI are not a " club " in the same way as C&CC and Caravan Club - they just run a low season discount scheme, and inspect and approve sites before they will include them in their guides.

;-)

The only difference is ACSI only charge you £13.50 to use their card..........

Where as the CC charge £46 to use theirs *-) ................

malc d - 2015-10-13 5:15 PM

;-)

ACSI do have an ID card (cost less than £5.00) which does have some insurance cover, and is accepted instead of Passport, in most cases

PJay

Archived