Bonnet and front wing stone guards for the new Fiat Ducato Euro 5

Just completed 2,000 miles in our 2015 Adria Coral Plus which has a white cab and front wings.

Already finding stone chips on the wings and wondering if anyone has found a company that supplies stone guard covers for the front of the vehicle. Have seen the Autobra company but as yet they don't do a Euro 5 cover.

The wing materials are certainly less robust than the Euro 4 Adria Matrix that I traded for this one :-|

For earlier versions of Ducato the Autobra company only markets a ‘bonnet bra’ that masks the front part of the bonnet but provides no protection for the the bumper or wings. A ‘full bra’ is offered for certain vehicle models that masks the bumper area as well as the front of the bonnet, but I doubt this would be marketed for Ducato X290 given the size and complexity of the bumper/grille and (I suspect) the very small potential marketplace.

If you want to protect the bonnet, wings and bumper of your motorhome, you could consider having the front of the vehicle ‘wrapped’ with a Paint Protection Film. There are pros and cons to doing this (GOOGLE on “car paint protection film”) but it’s possibly your only realistic option for guarding against minor damage.

I can't help with the paint question, but wonder if your Adria has a very noisy water pressure switch that needs frequent adjustment ? My 2015 Adria is a good van in many ways but the water system is spoiling every trip out. The switch is a Whale, and I think is new to Adria this year. I would be interested in your findings.

I have been keeping an eye on these X290's due to the new 'Ducato Special Paint' and can say that my first two vehicles have now each done almost 30,000 miles on UK roads and at speeds probably in excess of the sort that you would do and there is not a single chip on the front of either of them. I think you may have been unfortunate and found a recently re-surfaced road with lots of loose chippings because considering the sort of use my vans are put to, if there was a problem with the paint; I would be seeing it first.

Still not very keen on the colour though. It's a bit too 'grey' for my liking but at least it seems to be durable so far.

Huckleberry - 2015-07-14 2:50 PM

I can't help with the paint question, but wonder if your Adria has a very noisy water pressure switch that needs frequent adjustment ? My 2015 Adria is a good van in many ways but the water system is spoiling every trip out. The switch is a Whale, and I think is new to Adria this year. I would be interested in your findings.

Yes the Whale pump is a new feature but so far ours has performed quietly and correctly, no problems at all.

Thanks for your reply. My pump/pressure switch comes on about every 10 minutes, croaks like a frog, and then stops. We have resorted to only switching on when needing water, which is a pain especially at night. I have not experienced any paint problems on my metallic grey as yet, but have only done about 1600 miles. I am generally pleased with the van, my first Adria after 10 years with 3 Rapido's.

Huckleberry - 2015-07-15 8:15 AM

Thanks for your reply. My pump/pressure switch comes on about every 10 minutes, croaks like a frog, and then stops. We have resorted to only switching on when needing water, which is a pain especially at night. I have not experienced any paint problems on my metallic grey as yet, but have only done about 1600 miles. I am generally pleased with the van, my first Adria after 10 years with 3 Rapido's.

Not sure if you are aware but the pump sensitivity can be adjusted using the turn screw on the in line pressure switch, ours is located under the seat. The Whale website shows the unit here: http://www.whalepumps.com/rv/product.aspx?Category_ID=10028&Product_ID=29&FriendlyID=In-Line-Pressure-Switch

Hope that helps.

Thanks for reply. I do know about the switch and have already had one replaced by the local dealer. The problem that I have is that despite my constant adjusting of the switch it does not work for long without either losing pressure(Will not flush the Thetford) or continues running for long periods. I have spoken to Whale and they seem to think that constant adjustment is a feature ! I only have one leisure battery and thought that possibly the battery was not up to the job but I have the same problem on mains hook up. There does not appear to be a leak in the system. My water pump is not a Whale one so it is possible that may be part of the problem.

I left the van at the dealers for a few days to sort out this and a couple of other minor issues which were easily resolved. The best the dealer has come up with is painting the switch so that I can match up the pressure turn wheel.

As a matter of interest do you know if the previous year Adrias had an inline switch instead of a submersible.

Thanks,

Rodger

Archived