Cleaning Motorhome Interiors

timabob

Last night I was reading the manual for our new motorhome. (I've got nothing better to do because we are still waiting for DVLA to send our V5!).

In the section on cleaning the interior there were all sorts of warnings about not using cleaning products with solvents for this, not with scouring particiculates for that etc. etc.

Is there a general household cleaner or cleaners which are safer for everything inside apart from the plastic windows where I understand I should only use soapy water (or is that wrong?).

Damp cloth! I use this most of the time including soft furnishings.

Very occasionally I'll also use a bowl of very diluted washing up liquid or diluted Flash. Any domestic cleaner and probably car cleaning products should work with care. Avoid strong cleaners, keep strong bleach away from the stainless steel.

I do use Thetford bathroom cleaner.

I clean the van under guidance from the missus!

i really like wipes in the motorhome when we're away, as it is so easy to just wipe round sinks, shower, loo etc and then bin the wipe. I know it's a bit pricier than conventional cleaning products but they give good results and are convenient. (lakeland.com do good ones).

I like Mr Sheen for the dashboard and shiny surfaces.

As we have dogs, I use dilute disinfectant to wash the floor - we have a laminate floor.

Turtle mats are useful for preventing campsite mud from coming inside ... I have failed to train husband to remove shoes and given up trying!

I agree with billggski, it is a good idea to protect seat covers as they quickly get grubby. I made loose covers for mine, which is not difficult if you have a sewing machine and some basic sewing skill but throws are just as good. Choose a fabric that you can throw in the washing machine.

Autoglym products are good for the outside of the motorhome.

Have a wonderful time with your new motorhome and enjoy your travels. If you want any ideas, have a look at our blog www.peterandnia.com

Archived