Fresh water run off pipe

juhso

Hello, I have an 2005 Autotrail Tracker. The fresh water run off pipe I have is flimsy plastic bit of piping and is starting to break up causing water leakage. Is it possible to get a hard pipe with a

valve to allow run off? Many thanks

Hello Brian

Its the drain off pipe straight from the fresh water tank. I notice on the new Autotrail's there is a hard pipe with a valve. My one has a piece of black plastic tubing with a blue blue valve on the end that is leaking the

fresh water out.

Many thanks

John

Sorry, I don't have an answer, John - I thought the extra bit of clarification might guide another AutoTrail owner to the right area. To replace the existing pipe the new pipe will have to connect to the tank outlet. Do you know yet what you've got to connect to at the tank end? Could you post a pic to show the problem?

John

Some motorhomes have a draining system for the fresh-water tank that involves rigid plastic tubing, but it’s probably more common for flexible tubing to be employed and (on older UK-built motorhomes) for that tubing to be narrow bore and have a ‘water butt’-type drain-valve on its outer end. For example

http://tinyurl.com/pzhu5zg

It’s possible that a modification could be made that would convert your Tracker’s system to something similar to that used on present-day Auto-Trails but, frankly (as long as there’s nothing wrong with the outlet on your water-tank) you’d be best to stick with the original type of system and just replace the parts of it that are causing the leakage. After all, you don’t need to drain the water-tank very often and the original parts (which - dare I say it? - won’t have been fitted with great longevity as a priority) have lasted 10 years.

We have a 2004 Tracker.

The drain down pipe is the normal waste water flexi pipe you can get in any caravan spares supplies shop and the valve is just a standard drum valve. Assuming yours is the same you should be able to replace it with parts available from a caravan shop. Take your leaking one in and ask them to supply new bits.

If you fit rigid pipework it will need to slope downhill from the tank or it will not drain fully.

I cant remember on the Tracker but on many vans the flexible tube and tap are held in place by a 'Terry' type spring clip fixed to the vallance and it unclips to allow you to lower the tube to drain down fully.

It also gives you the flexibilty to aim where you want the water to go and being flexible is more resistant to impact and it is easier to replace if it leaks plus why complicate a simple system - so speaking personally I would not replace it with rigid tubing.

Thanks for all the replies - all very sensible - This morning I had a look at it and there it was - gone! I guess I didn't fasten it in tightly enough - so its off to the local suppliers for the flexible pipe.

Fully take onboard the hassle with a fixed pipe and as Derek states its only very rarely that it will need to be used anyway.

Archived