Britanny Ferries-direct versus CC

Mike B.

Just been trying to price up a ferry to Bilbao from Portsmouth and the CC advertise they will match at least or even beat direct booking.

Not so I am afraid-difference for me, mrs, 7m van & 3m trailer with outside 2 berth cabin is a whopping £100 exactly more expensive with CC. Moreover with Caravan Club £75 none refundable deposit-direct £35

Needless to say I wil be booking direct!

Depending on how often you use BF ferries, you may well find it worth joining the members club.

We have membership for France and save 30% on all sailings, plus free cabins on afternoon outward and morning on inward Sailings, also brekkie vouchers if using overnight sailing, plus various other benefits.

Even on one trip pa we break even or more, and last year using two trips saved around £200.

You also get a discount, though not as great, if you use it on the Spanish routes.

I have always used the CC to book ferries until last month, I tried to book a crossing with the club for a crossing with P & O, they wanted £116 but booking direct with P & O saved me over £20.

So much for the cheaper Caravan Club.

RD

Keith T - 2015-07-20 10:27 PM

Depending on how often you use BF ferries, you may well find it worth joining the members club.

We have membership for France and save 30% on all sailings, plus free cabins on afternoon outward and morning on inward Sailings, also brekkie vouchers if using overnight sailing, plus various other benefits.

Even on one trip pa we break even or more, and last year using two trips saved around £200.

You also get a discount, though not as great, if you use it on the Spanish routes.

I looked at that and if you use them frequently it is a good deal. However, we don't use them enough to get the full value and the joining fee & membership fee cost just about wiped out the discount so wasn't worth us signing up.

Be interesting to see what the new ship on Portsmouth/Bilbao is like-anyone used it yet? Cabins look nicer than the Etretat and the shop HAS to be bigger to keep Mrs B happy!

Mike

Don't know if it's still the case, but the big disadvantage of booking via the clubs was inflexibility. The club made the booking, so only the club could alter the booking.

So, if you wanted/needed to return at a different time or date, the change could only be made by the club, and only if it still had space within its allocation from the ferry operator. I seem to remember they also made a charge for changing.

If you book direct you are the booker, so you can ring the ferry operator direct to make changes as/when necessary.

In either case it may cost extra if the new crossing is at a more expensive time or date, and they may charge an admin fee, but by booking direct you can at least make the change without involving a third party, and are more likely to be able to get a space as what is available is limited only by what is already booked.

My experience has been similar, BUT.....

If you have both the time and the will to live, keep checking and I've not failed yet for the CC site to be cheaper.

I don't pretend to know the reasons, although I wouldn't be surprised if internet traffic (click rate) technology is being deployed.

Martyn

On the Dover, Calais crossing I have changed my bookings made with P&O through the CCC several times and have only been charged £10. CCC have also price matched, less 10%. Have always found the best deal was through the CCC, but I still shop around, however have never found the miraculous deals claimed by others.

Edit. My apologies for digressing as I have just noted the subject was Brittany Ferries

Brian Kirby - 2015-07-24 5:41 PM

Don't know if it's still the case, but the big disadvantage of booking via the clubs was inflexibility. The club made the booking, so only the club could alter the booking.

So, if you wanted/needed to return at a different time or date, the change could only be made by the club, and only if it still had space within its allocation from the ferry operator. I seem to remember they also made a charge for changing.

If you book direct you are the booker, so you can ring the ferry operator direct to make changes as/when necessary.

In either case it may cost extra if the new crossing is at a more expensive time or date, and they may charge an admin fee, but by booking direct you can at least make the change without involving a third party, and are more likely to be able to get a space as what is available is limited only by what is already booked.

Brian, you are right. Furthermore if you have to cancel, with CC you lose the £75 but direct you can postpone and rebook later at same price (unless of course journey is different cost) If you postpone with CC it's a maximum of 30 days and there is £20/25 fee plus any further costs. If you have to cancel direct you still only lose £35

fesspark - 2015-07-28 4:49 PM

I offered you my discount code for 10% off the ferry price and you have,nt taken me up, I am a Spanish Brit ferry club member so you get 10% off for just quoting my club no: ?Why arn,t you interested ?

Hi Fesspark

Thanks for the offer-wasn't ignoring you but I have already booked the ferry direct at the quoted price.

Cheers

Mike

Archived